PDA

View Full Version : Trenching - Utility Locate ?

ZachTX
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi All:

Not a landscaper, but my company does some trenching to install ground loops for lightning protection systems, and thought ya'll might be the right people to ask this question:

On a commercial jobsite, do you use the "One Call" system to locate utilities?

Usually we have to be on a job with one or two days notice, sometimes less. This doesn't leave much room for one call, so we coordinate with the GC to locate and mark utilities. We do ocassionally hit lines when the GC locates incorrectly or forgets about a line. All trenching is 18 to 24 inches deep. What's the best way to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Zach

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't trench at all without a locate. Risk is too great for injury or death from gas or electrical lines and if you hit a fiberoptic cable without a locate.. You would be out of buisness.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
08-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Is this a joke? :)

You have a trenching co and you're asking this? :hammerhead:

LoweJ82
08-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Is this a joke? :)

You have a trenching co and you're asking this? :hammerhead:

what i had thought

Stillwater
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi All:

Not a landscaper, but my company does some trenching to install ground loops for lightning protection systems, and thought ya'll might be the right people to ask this question:

Usually we have to be on a job with one or two days notice, sometimes less. This doesn't leave much room for one call, so we coordinate with the GC to locate and mark utilities. We do ocassionally hit lines when the GC locates incorrectly or forgets about a line. All trenching is 18 to 24 inches deep. What's the best way to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Zach

Most states if not all have a digsafe law so I don't know what you mean by this have to be on the job with 1 or 2 days notice BS. No dig safe ticket number= no insurence= no dig.... period.