PDA

View Full Version : 26 EFI TPS initialization...help

chariot
08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
First off this is a 2002 exmark Z, 2900 hours and 26 HP EFI. Nothing at all had ever been done to this engine! I got blink code 22 and have now installed a new throttle position sensor only to have this thing running even worse. I tried to follow steps in factory service manual for initialization and got the correct blink (fast blink for about 3 seconds). Now when i fire it up it will somewhat idle but when I try to rev up it just sounds horrible and wants to shut down. Can I re-intitialized?? How?? Your help will be greatly apprecited. Thanks

chariot
08-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Come on guy, no one??!!! I went through the process again on the initilization and still the same results. It seems to be dumping in to much fuel as it is black smoking a pretty good amount. Any guesses you guys may have would be appreciated. Anyone know of a dealer that may me willing to offer some assistance? My local dealer openly admits to minimal experiece with these engines and is basically no help. Thanks again!

Restrorob
08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
chariot,

I'm no expert on these EFI's myself but have worked on a few, I've had two come in with baffles broke loose inside the mufflers. These baffles restricted exhaust flow and caused symptoms like you described.

The last one I worked on was a full blown system component test because my boss never bought the program to hook them to a computer.

After going through the component flow test page in the manual I found intermittent signals to the injectors from the ECU.

It's possible you have multiple problems here, Have you done any system testing per the manual ?

chariot
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Been to busy to do much of anything other than what I stated. The muffler was replaced around 500 hours ago so I would hope it would be in good shape internally but who knows these days. Gonna try to get on it this weekend and check a few more things that's why I was looking for info. Thanks for the suggestions so far as I will be sure to check muffler and more suggestions would be welcomed.

chariot
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Seems as if the ECM / computer has went on the fritz!! Guess that's not gonna be a cheap fix. Thanks for looking guys.

Restrorob
08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
chariot,

Food for thought,

Kohler has a ECM KIT # 24 755 169-S that is much cheaper than purchasing a ECM alone. This is what I installed on the last one I worked on.

Kit Includes:
• Manifold Assembly (Manifold, Injectors, Wiring Harness, and ECU)
• Oil Temperature Switch
• Gaskets, Intake Manifold
• Gasket, Air Cleaner Base
• Breather Hose Kit
• Installation Hardware