PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated trying to read new oil level - any help appreciated

greenred
08-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi guys

I changed the oil and filter on my new mower for the first time. Unlike every engine I have ever owned this ones dipstick is proving impossible to read. I opened the oil drain and left it open till no more oil drained out. I read both the tractor manual and the engine manual and neither listed the amount of of oil the engine held but this link http://www.theoempartsstore.com/Kohler-Aegis-31-HP-Gasoline-Powered-Engine-V-Twin-Liquid-Cooled-LH775-OHV-Walker-Replacement-Engine-PA-LH775-0010.html says 2 quarts. So I put two quarts in.

Problem is I cant read the dipstick. It looks like I have either not enough or too much oil in the engine or possible just enough. The oil is so clean its almost completely transparent. And all i can get to stick to the dipstick is a very very thin transparent film of oil with a little bub of oil towards the bottom of the dipstick. The dipstick is wet with enough oil over the full mark to wet a paper towel but the bub of oil on the dipstick looks like it goes some where in between the full and add oil lines.

Restrorob
08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Spray the stick with some carb & choke cleaner to remove the oil then color the end of it a little up past the full mark with a black perminate ink marker......

dutch1
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I've done what Restro suggests but 3 or 4 years ago, due to my 70 year old eyes, I started using a rough abrasive cloth to rough up the the dipstick to the same level as Restro suggests. Make the rough marks perpendicular to the length of the dipstick.

ed2hess
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I drill little holes at intervals that helps.

greenred
08-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys those are some great tips