PDA

View Full Version : Question about Palm and Tree Trimming

freshprince94
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
For guys that trim palms and trees, do you haul the fronds and limbs away or leave them at the curb for city pickup? I have been hauling them either to the county dump (which is an hour away) or leaving them on my curb for pickup, but it would be a lot easier to leave them on the customers curb for pickup. Many LCOs in my area do this, you just have to trim the trees on a Tuesday to have the limbs picked up Wednesday morning.

RussellB
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I have two recycling centers within 5 miles of my house. I haul everything to one or the other. During leaf collection I alternate between the centers just to keep from ticking anyone off. I always haul my stuff away. Orlando is a huge area compared to where I live. I'm surprised they don't have facilities to accommodate the community.

A Leaf Above
08-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I always give the homeowner the option ..Either i can leave them on the street for bulk pickup or they can pay me to take it to the dump ...The homeowners usually will go with just leave it there for the garbage to take ...They feel like they are paying the city for trash removal anyway ..I hate going to the dump but i have to twice a week anyway..

freshprince94
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I have two recycling centers within 5 miles of my house. I haul everything to one or the other. During leaf collection I alternate between the centers just to keep from ticking anyone off. I always haul my stuff away. Orlando is a huge area compared to where I live. I'm surprised they don't have facilities to accommodate the community.

I don't believe they have many facilities near me...the only place I go is the county dump which is about an hour outside Orlando. thanks for the help though!

freshprince94
08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I always give the homeowner the option ..Either i can leave them on the street for bulk pickup or they can pay me to take it to the dump ...The homeowners usually will go with just leave it there for the garbage to take ...They feel like they are paying the city for trash removal anyway ..I hate going to the dump but i have to twice a week anyway..

Thanks, I will give the customers the option from now on. Before I was just hauling off and charging for it.

Florida Gardener
08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
down here we have vegetation pickups...if it's going to get picked up by the city, i leave it. the customer is already paying for it and i hate loading and unloading and going to the dump...i can care less about the extra $30.

greendoctor
08-26-2010, 01:30 AM
In my city, everything has to fit into an automated pick up bin. If it does not fit into the green bin, city does not touch it. Bulky item pick up does not take green waste either. So, unless you have a box dump and a chipper-shredder, it is not a good idea to have anything to do with cutting trees or palms. There are operations that cut palms and trees without shredding. However, it is my guess that they have a large property that the refuse can be dumped at. Dump fees for green waste are over $30 per ton, not to mention gas and time.

Johnny test
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I know this is not related to the post in any way but you guys are from FL. I was first introduced to Mowing/Landscaping in Orlando. I started when I was 16. I used to take those Fu*in Palmetto bushes and clean them up so the foliage was only coming out of the tops, thin them out a little, and clean them up (kinda like a palm tree) put a nicely edged/mulched bed around them and the customers would flip there wigs!!! Every time.

To tell you the truth it was easy.. I made there properties stand out like Hotels and they loved it. You guys should try it sometime.

The contractors that put in those cookie cutter homes would do all the hard work leaving the palmettos in nice little small groups.. Id just go in and basically clear the bases around them so you could see through and they look like small palm trees.

I know you guys know what I'm talking about. On a corner lot the contractors would leave a palm tree or cypress or something and at the base would be this cluster fu*k of palmetto bushes. Those are the ones I'm talking about... You clean that up put a nice bed around it and they will trip out...

Anyway my customers ate that sh*t up. I ended up moving north, forgot about landscaping for a while. Now here I am.

MarcSmith
08-26-2010, 06:27 PM
FP, I was taking my stuff to Kissimmee, there was a landfill behind midevial times on 192...but i was working the south side of orlando so t was a pretty quick trip..

Johnny test
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
FP, I was taking my stuff to Kissimmee, there was a landfill behind midevial times on 192...but i was working the south side of orlando so t was a pretty quick trip..

Marc I cant believe what your saying.. I used to work and live on 192.. Did you go to Gateway High? or Denn John Middle school? How old are you?
It's funny in another post you said something about being in orlando or mowing in 92' I was mowing on 192 in Kissimmee in 89,90,91. I used to do the Osceola Mall.

MarcSmith
08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I went to High school in DE. I was cutting grass in south orlando on the mid 90's. I graduated from UF in 95 and moved to Kissimee I did a few props in Kissimmee. one of which the was the hardees. but most of my props were north of the Osceola parkway and south of the bee line around JYP and OBT

Johnny test
08-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I went to High school in DE. I was cutting grass in south orlando on the mid 90's. I graduated from UF in 95 and moved to Kissimee I did a few props in Kissimmee. one of which the was the hardees. but most of my props were north of the Osceola parkway and south of the bee line around JYP and OBT

That weirdz me out that neither of us are in FL now, but were both so close at the same time...

So did you used to cruz Interstate 4 (International Drive) back then? That was the hot spot back in the early 90's. OBT, 192 and idrive is were I spent my teens...

MarcSmith
08-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I worked at Disney for a few years so Si pent time trolling at Pleasure Island for free....by the time I got O-town i was dating and married by 97...so not much cruzin..although spent many a night at Howl at the moon on church street..

Johnny test
08-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I worked at Disney for a few years so Si pent time trolling at Pleasure Island for free....by the time I got O-town i was dating and married by 97...so not much cruzin..although spent many a night at Howl at the moon on church street..

Holly sh*t dude that is crazy... Me and my buddy used to wait out in the Pleasure Island parking lot and ask people who were coming out for thier wrist bands.. We were just barely under age but we always got in , like pimps...wow

Old-Town was cool had the little marry go round in the back... I remember taking a car load of girls to Old Town. They were all literally crying in the back seat over a dam Boys to Men song on the radio.. Wow those were the good old days...

Chuch Street Station, we were all over that area as well that's crazy... I miss it

Oh and my best friend worked for Disney...

freshprince94
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
This is so weird, I know exactly where yall are talking about! OBT is definitely not a hangout anymore, that's where all the hookers in Orlando are haha...Old town is still here...lot of new strip malls in Kissimmee...and Medieval Times is still there but I dont think there is a landfill there anymore, I believe they have apartments now.

MarcSmith, were you doing any accounts in Hunter's Creek? I do a lot of accounts around South Orlando, JYP, OBT, couple in Kissimmee, Meadow Woods, etc.

Johnny test
08-26-2010, 10:22 PM
This is so weird, I know exactly where yall are talking about! OBT is definitely not a hangout anymore, that's where all the hookers in Orlando are haha...Old town is still here...lot of new strip malls in Kissimmee...and Medieval Times is still there but I dont think there is a landfill there anymore, I believe they have apartments now.

MarcSmith, were you doing any accounts in Hunter's Creek? I do a lot of accounts around South Orlando, JYP, OBT, couple in Kissimmee, Meadow Woods, etc.

Meadow Woods? Isn't that near Donagan St. just off OBT by Starling Chevrolet. I had friends that lived there... I used to live in BVL(Buena Ventura Lakes) from 88'-92' surely you know were that is....

Now that I think of it I remember the landfill.. it was somewhere near Osceola parkway...

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 06:26 AM
FP, google bass road landfill it loos like its stll there...

Old town with the old car cruise in were always cool...

I had props in South chase, Whisper lakes, Hunters creek, there used to be a restaurant and storage lot across from Gator land which I did, The Baymont inn and perkins restaurant @ OBT and 528. I did Several HOA's in Whisper lakes. I had the contract for several perkins in the area. and several storage yard which were owned by the same people..And a bunch near sea world off of central florida parkway in Williamsburg...

South Chase and Whisper lakes was my profit center. very tight route...

Johnny test
08-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Marc, did you ever do any kind of pest control back in those days? The guy I used to work with had accounts in the Whisper Lakes/Hunters Creek area you were referring to just up the road from Tupperware..

When I lived there, that whole area was about half as developed as it is now...

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I was lic for T&O never got my indoor lic. but I did indoor work for freinds...

I moved out when them big resort opened up on JYP across from whisper lakes..soldm y house about 1 year too early...

freshprince94
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah Meadow Woods is over there, I don't really work much in Whisper Lakes anymore, with the economy a lot of people over there cut their own lawn but I know exactly where you're referring to. The hotel they built is nice but seems kind of out of place to me.

I will check out that landfill, it is a lot closer than the Orange County Dump.

You guys wouldn't recognize parts of this area if you came back, especially around John Young, Town Center blvd., and Hunter's Creek. Over the past 5-10 years it has changed exponentially. Hunter's Creek was originally swamp land to begin with...

MarcSmith
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I cut the HOA Common areas along Whisper Lakes BLVD, and there was a town house complex on the Whisper lakes BLVD that I did as well....good money...

yeah the resort is in a weird location. but the home prices doubled after it was done. I sold my house for 105, and a few years later there were going over 200K

I haven't been back in 5-6 years....I'm sure I'm not missing much...

freshprince94
08-29-2010, 08:30 PM
I cut the HOA Common areas along Whisper Lakes BLVD, and there was a town house complex on the Whisper lakes BLVD that I did as well....good money...

yeah the resort is in a weird location. but the home prices doubled after it was done. I sold my house for 105, and a few years later there were going over 200K

I haven't been back in 5-6 years....I'm sure I'm not missing much...

That stinks about the pricing, but yeah, you're not missing too much. Florida has its ups and downs.

I drive by Whisper Lakes BLVD almost every day so I know exactly where that is. The resort is nice, I've never stayed there but it sure looks nice and is cut by Brickman.

Good to hear from someone else who knows the area. I want to get into the Winter Park area because that's where the money is at.

MarcSmith
08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
winter park and even windemere is nice. but I lived in Whisper lakes, and I'd rather spend time mowing than looking at the windshield...drive times are hateful...

Florida Gardener
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
not sure exactly what town Rollins college is in, but that area is HIGH-END. It reminded me of Palm Beach.

freshprince94
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
not sure exactly what town Rollins college is in, but that area is HIGH-END. It reminded me of Palm Beach.

That would be Winter Park. Yes, VERY high end.

MarcSmith, yea, drive times do suck but the money out there is insane.

MarcSmith
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
MarcSmith, yea, drive times do suck but the money out there is insane.

I know. I turned down work out there. driving from south Orlando basically across Disney, across the major tourist corridors did nothing for me..I was getting 100 bucks a month for 12 months on full service on 1/4 acre lots. and having to drive 5 minutes or less between props. generally we were spending only 35-45 minutes a day in the truck....

Twlightlawncare
09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
How do you charge for palm tree frawn trimming?

MarcSmith
09-02-2010, 06:51 AM
frond.....

same way you'd charge anything, how long does it take , do you need a ladder, bucket truck, pole saw, power pruner....ect..how much debris how long to drop off debris, what cost to drop off debris..

do they want a clean trunk, or can you leave the boots...