PDA

View Full Version : Toro WB Tranny

SchnabelLawnCare
08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I think my transmission is old and tired, but I wanted some confirmation on that before dropping 300 into a new peerless.

mo # 30112
ser # 00316

It does fine on flat ground. The steeper the hill, the weaker it seems. Eventually it will just stop going up hill and it locks up with the wheels. My scag belt drive would be able to go up the hill whereas this toro can't. It did just turn 20 years old though, and this could be the original.

Restrorob
08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
If the machine is worth the investment get a new trans, But look at the drive shaft coupler splines closely for wear before installing the new trans. While they could cause slipping/lack of power to the wheels they wouldn't cause the tires/wheels to lock up.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-25-2010, 09:35 PM
What would that look like exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-25-2010, 10:01 PM
This;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Toro/ToroWB.jpg

SchnabelLawnCare
08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
So if the splines are worn down, where would the tranny slip? Before the coupler? Inside the gearbox?
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
The trans shaft would slip in the coupler, The splines on the trans shaft wear along with the splines inside the coupler and cause slippage. The same can happen between the coupler and the drive shaft, The drive shaft is the shaft the pulley's are on.

But again, These being worn wouldn't lock the trans or wheels up. You wouldn't want to put a worn coupler on a new trans shaft either is why I suggested checking them before installing a new trans.

You did say the trans locks the wheels up right ?

SchnabelLawnCare
08-27-2010, 08:19 PM
The trans shaft would slip in the coupler, The splines on the trans shaft wear along with the splines inside the coupler and cause slippage. The same can happen between the coupler and the drive shaft, The drive shaft is the shaft the pulley's are on.

But again, These being worn wouldn't lock the trans or wheels up. You wouldn't want to put a worn coupler on a new trans shaft either is why I suggested checking them before installing a new trans.

You did say the trans locks the wheels up right ?

Well you can adjust the pressure on the belts using the tbar, but if you push the tbar hard enough to get the pressure then the drive pulley stops moving forward.

Restrorob
08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
If the machine is worth the investment get a new trans, But look at the drive shaft coupler splines closely for wear before installing the new trans. While they could cause slipping/lack of power to the wheels they wouldn't cause the tires/wheels to lock up.

Do the above, Jack both rear tires off the ground. Engine off, Put the trans in 1st gear. Try spinning both wheels by hand, Snatch them forward and backward to see if you feel/see any slippage in the couplers or shafts.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Do the above, Jack both rear tires off the ground. Engine off, Put the trans in 1st gear. Try spinning both wheels by hand, Snatch them forward and backward to see if you feel/see any slippage in the couplers or shafts.

I appreciate the help Rob! Thanks!

I'll try this out tommorow.