PDA

View Full Version : My Walker stripes

johnstra
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't give me too much grief, fellas... I know my stripes ain't straight. I'm brand new to mowing with a good machine and it humbles me how poor my skills are. That's fine, though, just gives me lots of room to improve. I wanted to post this, so I when I get good I can come back and see where I started.

I picked up my used Walker a couple of weeks ago. It's an early 90s MS 42 w/ the 11 HP Briggs. Not a whole lot of power, but it's in good condition and it cuts well so I'm happy.

zo6
08-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Your nor doin bad at all, theres guys on here that brag about stuff way worse than that, good luck with it, personally i like lots of hp..

bobcat48
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Very nice.good job.

MarcSmith
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
john

i'm rebuilding an 88 ms42ghs with the 11 briggs. over 7000 hours on the machine. looking forward to reliving cutting grass with a carbon copy of the first machine I owned...

THEGOLDPRO
08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
what are all those lines in the middle?

MarcSmith
08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
walker tail wheel....

dgw
08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
walker tail wheel....

hes knows but hes the hero of his own lunch box

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
The Gold Pro is just jealous that he doesn't have a Walker and his Exmarks don't stripe nearly as well as Walkers.
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
08-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I am sorry, but i have to speak up here. I told myself i would never get in one of these walker debates, but if you think that the cut quality in that second pic looks good then you are smoking something. If that is what you walker guys think looks good you can keep them. Those tire tracks look awful.

No offense to the OP your lines aren't to bad i am only speaking of the tire tracks and how uneven it all is. Nothing again you yourself I just don't see the greatness in the mower.

THEGOLDPRO
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The Gold Pro is just jealous that he doesn't have a Walker and his Exmarks don't stripe nearly as well as Walkers.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol when you get on my level let me know. until then keep quiet little buddy.

lifetree
08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
... i'm rebuilding an 88 ms42ghs with the 11 briggs. over 7000 hours on the machine. ...

WOW ... how many times has the engine been rebuilt ??

CrystalCreek
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
The problem with these threads is everyone turns them into a pissing match. Lets help this guy out instead of telling him the classic tail wheel looks like ish.

OP: I am a walker owner and have been for 8 years. (Second machine)

Some tips to make straighter lines. Drive tires....take a pound or two of pressure out of them so the machine wont bounce so much. Also, do the same for the tail wheels, but be careful of how much grass builds up in the catcher. You dont want to roll the bead off the wheel. Do this until you get use to the controls, then back to normal pressure.

Also, avoid top speed. Instead, pull back on the cruise control just a tad. The faster you roll, the more the little bumps push the mower around, and also the more squirrely the mower will act to your inputs.

The lines look really good for a newbie and they will only get better with time.

Buy the way, my customer's love the walker cut and classic strip look.

Good luck and see ya around here!
Jared

johnstra
08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm not offended by the 3rd wheel mark haters. The middle stripe doesn't bother me too much and to each his own. Although you'd think some guys would feel like they've made their point after the 20th or 30th time :dizzy:

Anyhow... thanks for the tips. I have to admit though... I was going dog slow to do that well. I couldn't hold my line going through the ditch. That's just going to have to take practice. I still find the controls a bit twitchy and I don't feel like I have a clue how I'm supposed to turn around and get started on the reverse cut. It feels like I do it differently every time.

-john

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 06:14 AM
WOW ... how many times has the engine been rebuilt ??not sure. I picked it up for 700 bucks and it ran, just had low compression. so I did a light hone on it and all new gaskets. I'll put the engine back in this weekend and we'll see what happens...

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Not bad! Another tip for straight lines is to pick an object across the lawn (tree, fire hydrant, car headlight, anything) and drive towards it while concentrating on the object, let your eyes be your string line.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 07:15 AM
not sure. I picked it up for 700 bucks and it ran, just had low compression. so I did a light hone on it and all new gaskets. I'll put the engine back in this weekend and we'll see what happens...

The last B&S I tossed a set of oversized rings in I was not able to get B&S OEM rings, they ended up being Rotary brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 07:23 AM
there was only a slight lip at the top of the cylinder I put new rings on, even though the ones on the piston looked OK...I figured if I took the piston out and had the engine open might as well. I think the head gasket was leaking causing the low comp (45lbs) as I saw evidence of blow by on the underside of the headcover. but we'll see...

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 07:27 AM
there was only a slight lip at the top of the cylinder I put new rings on, even though the ones on the piston looked OK...I figured if I took the piston out and had the engine open might as well. I think the head gasket was leaking causing the low comp (45lbs) as I saw evidence of blow by on the underside of the headcover. but we'll see...

Aluminum bore?

I just looked up a couple used Walker mowers on CL and I saw one for $2950 but it had a 25hp Kohler, 1600 hrs, I'd say you got a deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Briggs I/C its got a liner....

I saw a few with no engines but I wasn't willing to take a chance on finding a decent engine only to realize the hydro's were shot or the gear boxes mush... a running engine cant be beat...drove 2.5 hours to pick this one up...

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Briggs I/C its got a liner....

I saw a few with no engines but I wasn't willing to take a chance on finding a decent engine only to realize the hydro's were shot or the gear boxes mush... a running engine cant be beat...drove 2.5 hours to pick this one up...

I have looked for them from time to time but most of the ones I see are beyond repair.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarcSmith
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
I was a little worried about this one with the 11 briggs being a bit under powered, but I figure for cutting fescue at my own house every 5-7 days it should be fine...

DLAWNS
08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
The problem with these threads is everyone turns them into a pissing match. Lets help this guy out instead of telling him the classic tail wheel looks like ish.

OP: I am a walker owner and have been for 8 years. (Second machine)

Some tips to make straighter lines. Drive tires....take a pound or two of pressure out of them so the machine wont bounce so much. Also, do the same for the tail wheels, but be careful of how much grass builds up in the catcher. You dont want to roll the bead off the wheel. Do this until you get use to the controls, then back to normal pressure.

Also, avoid top speed. Instead, pull back on the cruise control just a tad. The faster you roll, the more the little bumps push the mower around, and also the more squirrely the mower will act to your inputs.

The lines look really good for a newbie and they will only get better with time.

Buy the way, my customer's love the walker cut and classic strip look.

Good luck and see ya around here!
Jared

wow...a positive post...I didn't know they existed anymore! :clapping::clapping:
OP- nice strpes dude...keep it up and you'll get the hang of the mower. They are a little jumpy at first.

nepatsfan
08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm not offended by the 3rd wheel mark haters. The middle stripe doesn't bother me too much and to each his own. Although you'd think some guys would feel like they've made their point after the 20th or 30th time :dizzy:

Anyhow... thanks for the tips. I have to admit though... I was going dog slow to do that well. I couldn't hold my line going through the ditch. That's just going to have to take practice. I still find the controls a bit twitchy and I don't feel like I have a clue how I'm supposed to turn around and get started on the reverse cut. It feels like I do it differently every time.

-john
Not sure if you do this, its pretty basic but very helpful if you didnt know. Pick a spot to aim for, whether it be a tree, house corner, something in the neighbors yard or something way off in a distance like a water tower or something. Aim the mower towards it and drive straight to that point no matter what.(stop at the edge of the yard though:laugh:) go through the ditch but continue driving toward the point you picked. after you do that just follow your straight line.