PDA

View Full Version : Slope Reduction - Help!

pblc
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Looked at a new job this afternoon. Property is on the lake and the landscape is hilly. The owner wants an area built up so he can place a carport on it. It is 20'x25' with a gradual 5' slope (rear of area is 5' lower than front) from front to back of pad.

How would you recommend going about this project? I plan on using timbers or railroad ties to make the border that holds the fill to build up the area. But what would you use to build the area up - and how would you pack it so that it wouldn't settle. White rock will be placed on the top - how many inches would you use for your top? Under this carport area he will be parking a boat and maybe vehicle.

Thanks for the help.

Smallaxe
08-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Are you making the hill higher with fill? Can you remove part of the hill and terra-form it?

pblc
08-26-2010, 10:53 PM
The hill slopes from the driveway down toward the back of the property. I'm building up an area where he can drive his truck from the road to the driveway level to his new carport.

FireFighterHill
08-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I would wet and compact between truck loads of fill.

Smallaxe
08-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Be sure to properly slope the finished product and use as much limestone with fines as you can. We have a situation in which a fellow is filling in a steep ditch over a period of years. He actually, sloped uphill from the roadway and with all this rain, the water saturated his 'compacted' dirt and washed a huge gully through everything he added this year. Water drains away from all sides , you should be OK.