PDA

View Full Version : F750 dump truck towing capacity

DJJS
08-26-2010, 01:28 AM
How much weight can a Ford F750 dump truck tow? The truck I'm looking at has a Caterpillar C7 engine, and a GVWR of 33,000. I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. The truck will mainly be pulling my backhoe and occasionally some rental equipment, it won't be moving much material, mainly just a tow vehicle

hosejockey2002
08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Typically you will not find a "towing capacity" on heavy duty trucks (as opposed to "heavy duty" pickups). Truck manufacturers typically leave it to the truck user to spec a truck out to perform they want it to. Having said that, your truck is 33K GVWR which means it has air brakes and is about as heavy duty as a 5 yard truck gets. Most 5 yard trucks with decent specs can handle a Case 580 on a trailer pretty well. Some guys even pull them with pickups...:laugh: Of course, you will be well into class A CDL territory.

Gravel Rat
08-27-2010, 01:29 AM
I assume the truck has air brakes so you should be good for a full 12,000lbs on the front axle 20,000lbs on the rear axle. A tag trailer does put a lot of weight on the rear axle if that is what you want to pull. I would say no more than a total gvw of 50,000lbs if the truck has air brakes all the way around.

BrandonV
08-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I load mine down to 52k gross... Same engine as you with a 10speed eaton fuller. Mine is a gooseneck.
Not a dump either. Chevy c7500

DJJS
08-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Appreciate the help guys, the whole heavy duty trucks thing is still pretty new to me, I've been running just f250 - 550 pickups & dumps in the past until I picked up my international. I've been overroading the backhoe but it's a pain in the a** especially when theres more then just a couple miles between jobs. As far as the CDL, I'm all square on that

Gravel Rat
08-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Appreciate the help guys, the whole heavy duty trucks thing is still pretty new to me, I've been running just f250 - 550 pickups & dumps in the past until I picked up my international. I've been overroading the backhoe but it's a pain in the a** especially when theres more then just a couple miles between jobs. As far as the CDL, I'm all square on that

The truck will easily tow a trailer with the 580 on it and yes you will save wear and tear on the backhoe. Hauling a backhoe on a tag can be a pain they like to do a dance on the trailer. If you had some blocks you could put under the rear axle to support the weight the tires squash to a point then the backhoe sits on the blocks.

DJJS
08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
The truck will easily tow a trailer with the 580 on it and yes you will save wear and tear on the backhoe. Hauling a backhoe on a tag can be a pain they like to do a dance on the trailer. If you had some blocks you could put under the rear axle to support the weight the tires squash to a point then the backhoe sits on the blocks.

Thanks for the tip, I've never towed anything the size of the case 580 yet, just regular trailers and my skidsteer, so it's good to know in advance. However much it dances though it'll beat the hell out of overroading the damn thing. I'm hoping to check the truck out again monday night, hopefully all goes well

Gravel Rat
08-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the tip, I've never towed anything the size of the case 580 yet, just regular trailers and my skidsteer, so it's good to know in advance. However much it dances though it'll beat the hell out of overroading the damn thing. I'm hoping to check the truck out again monday night, hopefully all goes well

I have put quite a few kilometers on roading the backhoe I operated what would take 30 minutes in a car would take a hour in the backhoe.

The backhoe was hauled on a tilt deck trailer aswell just a pain to chain it down. You look in the mirrors of the truck when your going down the road the backhoe is doing the dance boogie on the trailer you can see the chains come loose then snap back.

Just the way it is hauling a machine with tires, with backhoe tires being flexiable you can more you tighten the chain more the tire bulges.

toomuchtime
08-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

toomuchtime
08-31-2010, 01:24 AM
I have a f650 dump truck with the c7 I'm not sure the weight of a 580
But I routinely tow my 287b tow buckets and bh160
Hoe attachment. Roughly 18k behind it. Tows it well
It's not a 400-500 up Pete but it impresses me everytime
Like they said up top air brakes are a must for the truck
And trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device