PDA

View Full Version : STARTERS

LEN EBERLE
02-12-2000, 09:54 PM
I PUT A REMANUFACTURED JASPER ENGINE IN TRUCK<br>NEW FLYWHEEL ALSO. I HAVE HAD THE ENGINE IN SINCE NOV 98. I HAVE WENT THROUGH PROBABLY 25 STARTERS. I HAVE TOOK MY TRUCK TO SEVERAL MECHS. NOBODY CAN FIX IT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT COULD BE THE WRONG FLYWHEEL. POSSIBLE? I HAVE BEEN TOLD BENT CRANK SHAFT.POSSIBLE? I NEED HELP PLEASE?

plowking35
02-12-2000, 11:12 PM
What happens to your starters?? Do they make a high pitch squeel when engaged? Or do they just die after a short time of use??<br>If it squeels try a shim to get a better alignment with the teeth of the flywheel. If you have a auto tranny it is actually called a flex plate, as flywheels are only used in manual trannies.<br>If it is just wearing out very soon, with a hard turning over engine,check the following.<br>1- good ground and positive connections, they are the #1 reason for starter failure<br>check the engine to chassis and engine to cab grounds, clean to bare metel if needed<br>2- good baterry is a must, low cranking voltage is #2 killer of starters<br>3- engine timing, an engine to far advanced will cause very hard starting<br>4- if you have headers,try relocating your solenoid to the firewall, excessive heat from the headers may be frying the solenoid<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

Abe
02-13-2000, 05:17 PM
only a thought here.....<p>I had a car that went thru about 1 starter a month, had it into the mechanic since i could not find the problem<p>I was purchasing a lifetime warranty starter from a national chain auto house<p>I was buying starters remanufactured outside the US,, <p>When the mechanic said he couldnt find anything wrong, I went to NAPA and bought a NEW starter, not remanufactured, been in the car now for about 6 yrs with out any problems<p>-abe<br>

frahmie
02-15-2000, 10:34 AM
i have had the same problem with started. I figured out that it was due to higher compresion, which causes the starters to weaken. i went threw a starter a week until i bought a high torque, gear reduction starter and i haven`t had a problem since. stock starters just can`t handle the the harder turning of high compression motors. <p>frahmie

Chuck Smith
02-16-2000, 02:41 AM
Heat does kill the solenoids. Not to say that some brands are better than others, but ...<br>A friend had a 74 Impala. Was eating starters like crazy. Car had a 454 in it. He knew it was heat, because after idling a while, and shutting it off, it wouldn't crank. Let it cool, and it cranked fine. Being a mechanic, when an Old Caddy came in with a big block, he snagged the heat shield off the starter. Never had trouble again, I just changed my starter recently. It was about a year old. Hi Temp, or so the decal on it said. I think letting the truck idle while plowing produces more heat, and helps fry the solenoid. GM should have put them on the fender or firewall like Ford and Dodge.<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

Captkaos
02-16-2000, 10:25 AM
If it is a remanufactured starter, this is your problem. They alway cause problems with starting. Shimming a reman won't help. Take it back and get a good new one.<p>----------<br>Chris Lucas<br>http://www.wwisp.com/~captkaos