PDA

View Full Version : ExMark Help??

Coumbe
08-06-2002, 10:01 AM
2 months ago I purchased a new ExMark 32 in. Metro Walk behind. 1 month ago I purchased a sulky for it. At first it would pull me around in any gear, although I almost always used 3rd. gear because the grass is very thin and easy to cut. Now it will only pull me in 1st. and 2nd. gear. The belt is not slipping, the drive pulleys just stop turning. Is it normal for the transmission to have these problems so soon? Is there anything I can do, like a stronger transmission?? Thank you in advance for your help.

mowerconsultant
08-06-2002, 10:10 AM
The transmision belt is slipping, it may not look like it, but it is.
Adjust it tighter, and it will take care of your problem.

rkbrown
08-06-2002, 10:10 AM
You probably just need some king of adjustment. I heard that the belts will stretch when you add a sulky. Try posting this question in the exmark forum. I'm sure one of the exmark guys can help you.

PFHunter
08-06-2002, 10:12 AM
You might want to post this in the Exmark forum pages. That will get you a quick response direct from Exmark.

MikeLT1Z28
08-06-2002, 05:22 PM
yep, if the transmission shafts aren't turning, the drive belt UNDER the mower is slipping. you need to loosen the idler and tighten the belt. check your manual for deflection specs. this will probably get moved to the exmark forum also.

Doogiegh
08-06-2002, 05:48 PM
EVERYONE here is exactly correct.

I also have a brand new 2002 Exmark Metro 32, gear/belt drive.

I also ADDED a pro-slide after about 2 weeks of ownership.

I also had it where the transmission wasn't turning the gears in the higher numbers.

I also thought I had blown my brand new transmission up or something was wrong.

Check your manual.

Climb underneath the machine, loosen 1 nut slightly, pull it out to add tension to the belt, and re-tighten.

If I remember right, the belt should have 1/2" of deflection when 3 pounds of pressure is applied.

It was suggested to use a Fish-Weighing scale for that kind of accuracy.

Tighten the nut back up, and you are back in business, no problem. I believe Lawngodfather suggested the fix to me at the time, he said it took 30 seconds. I think he was incorrect as it only took 26. <G> ;-)

Very easy and simply adjustment to make, and yes, it's because the brand new belt has stretched. Someone else told me it's cause it's hot as heck out and therefore the belt has expanded.. And I'm sure every 1/8th of an inch matters alot.

There is also a section in the manual to change the tension on the drive belts from the "A" position which they come stock in, to I believe "B".

I did that also to my machine, since I use a pro-slide/duraslide and now I can take off spinning rubber down the street, with no bogging, which is fine. Check your manual for that one, it is also listed in there how to do it.

Gary

LAWNGODFATHER
08-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by rkbrown
You probably just need some king of adjustment. I heard that the belts will stretch when you add a sulky. Try posting this question in the exmark forum. I'm sure one of the exmark guys can help you.
Originally posted by PFHunter
You might want to post this in the Exmark forum pages. That will get you a quick response direct from Exmark.

Ummm the answer is just above YOUR posts. 9 minutes, that is pretty fast!!!!!

Transmision belt is slipping, you can't see it slip under the mower when your running it!

Adj the tensioner and your set. Very commen adj.