PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With The Heat

Green Industry Pro
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
With the extreme heat each summer(for us midwest and southern guys) I'm wondering what others are doing to minimize heat exhaustion, fatigue, and just get through the days easier. Down here in Texas, its over 100* every summer and recently we had a period where it was 105*+ every day.

Texas Lawn
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
First and most obvious thing is drink plenty of water. I carry around a huge jug and drink constantly. I also wear a hat, it certainly helps keep your face cool. I also take 15 minute breaks every couple of hours. On days when yards are close, you get only a few minutes before your out there again.

One thing you can do, although a little extreme, is drinker warm water instead of cold water. Warm, not hot. Use to do this during soccer and you will drink almost twice as much because its not as refreshing. I dont do that any more. Cold is so much better

RussellB
08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Like tex said, drink plenty of water and wear a hat. Look for shade and take a break BEFORE you need it. I also found that cranking up my blower on the trailer and standing in front of it is a quick way to bring your body temp down.

JB1
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
With the extreme heat each summer(for us midwest and southern guys) I'm wondering what others are doing to minimize heat exhaustion, fatigue, and just get through the days easier. Down here in Texas, its over 100* every summer and recently we had a period where it was 105*+ every day.

I always laugh when I hear that its hot in Texas. The house we live in now we bought from a couple that were selling it and moving to Texas, we bought it and they moved to Texas. Then six months later we hear they moved back saying it was too hot in Texas. :laugh::laugh:

sunray
08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I had a problem with my heart a couple of years ago from dehydration, I was drinking plenty of water taking breaks and it still happened.
Th cardiologist said water does not help the body enough when you are sweating so bad in the extreme heat.
He said you have to replace the electrolights with gator aide or power aide.
Now days my health comes before any job, I can always get another job.

rogerdodger
08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I keep a wet towel around my neck, stop every once n a while and put it on my head and move it around. It takes a lot of heat out and when I pass a h2o facet i let the water run down from my elbows. Each trip to the truck I drink a lot of water and Gator aid.
AND dont get in a BIG hurry.

BCLawns
08-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I dirnk lots of water and wear a hat. Some ice from the cooler now and again on my neck.

hdtvluvr
08-28-2010, 07:56 PM
This works better than a regular towel.

Frogg Togg Chilly Pad (http://www.froggtoggs.com/#cooling/details/CP100/)

yardguy28
08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
i do what most have already suggested. drink plenty of water, take breaks when needed and don't get in a big hurry.

i realize time is money but when it's hot out i take my time. if i need to stop mid way through a yard i'm mowing i go to the truck sit for 5 min. and drink some water. i also bring some gatoraide with me. more for the flavor than anything. i do just fine with just water.

the heat doesn't really bother me to much when i'm doing the yards i trim, mow with the larger mowers and blow. it's the 21 incher that slows me down. if i gotta do one of those yards i take it nice and slow.

i'm also not afraid to cut my days short if it gets to hot. i'll mow until the heat has arrived and then call it a day. getting sick on the job is not an option when your solo. i'd rather work some half days and be behind than try and stay on schedule, get really sick and not be able to work at all until i'm better.

Patriot Services
08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
I had a problem with my heart a couple of years ago from dehydration, I was drinking plenty of water taking breaks and it still happened.
Th cardiologist said water does not help the body enough when you are sweating so bad in the extreme heat.
He said you have to replace the electrolights with gator aide or power aide.
Now days my health comes before any job, I can always get another job.

Absolutely true! Being a retired Army medic I learned a few things about working in the heat over the last 20 years. Two simple elements sodium and potassium are what makes your heart work. Tipping the scale either way can put you in life ending arrhythmia ( irregular heartbeat ). You lose both elements through sweat and urination. Potassium also has anti-cramping properties. Sports drinks do a great job of replenishing these elements and taste good which encourages you to drink more. One more thing, wear a hat with a wide brim. My personal favorite is the floppy boonie hat, the new ones have UV protection and you can dip it in your icy cooler water for instant relief. Skin cancer on your ears and nose is a horrible sight. Stay safe guys it's not getting any cooler out there.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

RussellB
08-29-2010, 08:03 AM
http://www.villagehatshop.com/tilley.html.............I have three Tilley hats. After a days work they are funky from sweat. I throw it in the washer after a days work. Let them air dry, stretch them back out after drying and throw it back on your head. These hats are durable and if you loose it or it wears out they will replace it for half price...NO questions asked. Tell your spouse you want one for Christmas.

FLAhaulboy
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I drink this stuff when working, .78 cents per bottle at Walmart:

http://www.us.powerade.com/zero/

This is the best lite weight cool hat to wear:

http://www.columbia.com/Omni-Shade%E2%84%A2-Freezer%E2%84%A2-Hat/CU9749,default,pd.html

I own (2) of them, bought at Academy Sports for $16 ea. Mine have the UPF 50+ rating. Extra long front flap, clip included, & toggle clip in back to loosen/tighten cap.

About OMNI-SHADE

Columbia Sportswear's Omni-Shade® clothing protects you from damaging UV radiation by blocking the majority of the sun's harmful rays, so you can stay out longer. Omni-Shade blocks Ultraviolet A and Ultraviolet B rays (UVA and UVB), helping to prevent sun burn and long-term skin damage through tight weave construction, UV reflectors, and UV absorbing technology.

Unlike SPF (Sun Protection Factor), which is a measure of sunburn reduction from sunblock, and does not indicate any protection from UVA rays. UVA rays are much more harmful than UVB, and are present even on cloudy days. Omni-Shade provides protection from both UVB and UVA rays. Like sunblock, Omni-Shade is given a numeric value to indicate its level of sun protection. Unlike sun block, Omni-Shade does not wear off. Your safety increases as the Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) increases, and several levels of Omni-Shade protection are available: UPF 15, UPF 30, UPF 40 and UPF 50+. It's like sunscreen, but you don't have to reapply.

kilgoja
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
drink water before and after every yard you cut...maybe even between mowing and trimming if it's a big yard and you do it yourself....and drink GATORADE every so often...don't just do one or the other...drink BOTH

Green Industry Pro
08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
I always laugh when I hear that its hot in Texas. The house we live in now we bought from a couple that were selling it and moving to Texas, we bought it and they moved to Texas. Then six months later we hear they moved back saying it was too hot in Texas. :laugh::laugh:

Thats a hilarious joke. It does get pretty hot down here. This last winter however, we had record setting snowfall. I havent seen more than an inch of snow(each season) my entire life. Last winter, we got like 1ft. amazing.

Green Industry Pro
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Absolutely true! Being a retired Army medic I learned a few things about working in the heat over the last 20 years. Two simple elements sodium and potassium are what makes your heart work. Tipping the scale either way can put you in life ending arrhythmia ( irregular heartbeat ). You lose both elements through sweat and urination. Potassium also has anti-cramping properties. Sports drinks do a great job of replenishing these elements and taste good which encourages you to drink more. One more thing, wear a hat with a wide brim. My personal favorite is the floppy boonie hat, the new ones have UV protection and you can dip it in your icy cooler water for instant relief. Skin cancer on your ears and nose is a horrible sight. Stay safe guys it's not getting any cooler out there.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I salute you for your past service. I have retired soldiers in my family and i have some in duty right now. I appreciate anyone willing to risk their life for the better of our wonderful nation, and I would do the same.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

T R E Y
08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Camelbak!

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/parts-and-accessories-8/camelbak-hawg-litre-hydration-system-9152-1613_medium.gif

Texas Lawn
08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
im just glad the consecutive string of 100+ days is over in Texas. Well at least that string, Im sure another will start shortly

yardguy28
08-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Camelbak!

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/parts-and-accessories-8/camelbak-hawg-litre-hydration-system-9152-1613_medium.gif

forget that, more work than it's worth.

i've found just drinking water works great. i also take a towl with me to wipe away my sweat. keeps me from using my shirt.

on the really hot days i usually take with me 2 bottles of gatoraide but for the most part just lots of water and if i can AC at lunch time. and i take as many breaks as i feel i need.

i personally stay away from wearing hats. i'm not a hat wearer to begin with but in this heat and humidity i know i'd die.

Southern Elegance
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
we start around 6am try to finish before noon.. but that does make us work 7 days a week sometimes.. and also we will go back out around 6pm and work until dark . and yes plenty of water, gatorate, and fruits

kemco
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
I purchased a Texas Cool Vest with the gel packs you freeze. Works, worth every penny. About $160. We were in the 120s for a week or so when you include the heat index. Stays cool for about 1 1/2 hours (website claims 2hrs but I didn't get that much time). Gel packs recharge in ice water in about 20 minutes or about 1 hr in the freezer or fridge. The gel material freezes/solidifies at around 60 F so you can recharge them in a refrige. I bring a cooler with ice water just for that purpose.

Patriot Services
09-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I purchased a Texas Cool Vest with the gel packs you freeze. Works, worth every penny. About $160. We were in the 120s for a week or so when you include the heat index. Stays cool for about 1 1/2 hours (website claims 2hrs but I didn't get that much time). Gel packs recharge in ice water in about 20 minutes or about 1 hr in the freezer or fridge. The gel material freezes/solidifies at around 60 F so you can recharge them in a refrige. I bring a cooler with ice water just for that purpose.

Sounds like trying to work with body armor on.:usflag:

hdtvluvr
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Where are the packs located on the body? Front or back? The info looks like all 4 packs are connected. Are they?

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
i was drinking lots of water..but these days when its around 100
i drink sports drinks, i also play sports and always bring the poweraide or gatoraide with me
i also buy a slush when i get some gas for the truck and mowers