PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer size

Somthinrandm
08-27-2010, 02:43 AM
wanting to buy a dump trailer and sell my equipment flatbed trailer. both trailers have the same 14,000lb gvwr. Im thinking that if i buy a big enough dump trailer like a 7x14 dump then ill be able to "kill two birds with one stone" a dumper to haul mulch and stone, and it will also be wide enough to haul equipment too. DOes anyone do this? or should i keep my flatbed equipment trailer and buy a less expensive smaller dump trailer like a 6x12.

I see more smaller dump trailers (6x12) on the road than larger ones (7x14). why is this. is it only because those are cheaper. or do most landscapers have a dumptruck and a dump trailer.

Thoughts thanks?
i do more landscape install stuff than lawncare stuff. so i have to keep that in mind to when shoping on size

bearmtnmartin
08-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Thats something I have been thinking over. I'd like to replace my deckover with a dump. The trouble is that the dumps are so heavy, that I would be over weight. Also a pain to load and secure equipment. The other problem is that dumpers are usually quite short, or else the hoists are either underpowered or very slow. If I could get around all that, it would be a nice way to go. I have been contemplating a custom made aluminum low deckover with removable sides........

DJJS
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I know some guys use dump trailers to haul machines but I personally never would other then a dingo. I've got a 7x14 dump trailer and it's extremely heavy. I use the dump trucks to haul mulch, stone etc. The only real work it gets is when I've got a job I can leave a couple guys at in the morning with the trailer full of material, or for them to fill up with cr*p and pick them up at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, dump trailer's are extremely versatile, but I guess I'm just a dump truck guy

BrandonV
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
dump trucks are for the pros/full timers. trailers are for occasional use.

AdvLandscapeLLC
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
best trailer i ever purchased 7x16 14000# gross

AdvLandscapeLLC
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
hauling a 7200# mini

AdvLandscapeLLC
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
dump trucks are for the pros/full timers. trailers are for occasional use.

I think thats a bullsh** statement, if you need a vehicle to define you or your job then maybe you have greater issues. If the piece of equipment allows you to do your job more effectively and economically then who cares whether its driven or towed.

tnmtn
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
when i was in the same decision process, i ended up going with an old Chevy C65 dump truck. nothng fancy,gas engine but just keeps doing the work. also it was less to purchase than the trailers i was pricing. so far it has been a great investment. i would much rather tow on a deckover trailer. when i need the dump truck i use it or otherwise i can tow with smaller trucks.

Somthinrandm
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
I was considering buying another truck (dump) but my problems with that is that they are so expensive if I was going to get one I want it with dump and fold down sides So I can unload pallets. I would rather save my $$$ and get a good custom truck. The ? Of getting a dumptrailer arose when I was at the rock yard 3 weeks ago and we spent an hour trying to keep the pea gravel on the flatbed. We had the gravel wrapped in tarp but it was still a scary drive. Not trying to kill anyone on the road. has anyone out there put 2ft sides on their equipment trailer for this reason. Send pics? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Somthinrandm
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I like ur dump "advlandscapllc" !!! I have a fifth wheel hitch in my truck to but I would have to get rid my camper shell to do that. I love my camper shell really keeps my plants safe during transport. Thanks for all input.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I think thats a bullsh** statement, if you need a vehicle to define you or your job then maybe you have greater issues. If the piece of equipment allows you to do your job more effectively and economically then who cares whether its driven or towed.

I don't know why your upset, if you need to haul bulk material day in and day out (not once a week or twice a month) you should have a dump truck no question. Look at all your landscape construction companies (not maintenance guys that do a few installs here and day, guys like me who do installs (economy permitting) every day. I wouldn't dream of trying to do it with a dump trailer. In fact I want a dump trailer to go behind my dump truck just to carry a bit more mulch... (together it'll haul ~30yds) I'm not knocking guys with dump trailers, just stating that if you need to haul stuff (and if your a full time contractor, not maintainer, you should need that; you'll be better off w/ a truck)

clydebusa
09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a dump trailer and do mostly construction. I purchased a 1 ton dump truck this spring. As previously posted they both have advantages. If you plan on dumping more than a couple times a day go with the truck. They are so much faster than the trailers. I have had the dump trailer 5 years and it has paid for itself. I kinda bought the truck for other reasons and it had a dump bed on it, so I would have to say, now I should of bought the truck 1st. Good luck!

MDLawn
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm a part timer and agree with the statement above about full timers and the dump truck. I have a dump trailer and it works great for me. I'd like to have both as I could load debris in one and have mulch ready in the other instead of making trips back and forth (my current truck bed is full of tools and has a heavy duty lockable cover to keep them safe, hopefully). I like the volume capability of the dump, yes I know you can build higher sides, but it is 14ft long so stuffing it with branches, clean outs, trimmings is easier. My previous dump trailer was only 10ft and it ran out of room everytime. I think the arguments for both are very valid. You have to evaluate what would work best for your situation. But the dump truck/trailer combo would be the ultimate for me. I didn't want the maintenance issues with an older dump truck (worked for many guys who had old dumps, what a mess and nightmare) and newer used ones are just too expensive, at least for me. Also it seems a 1 ton dump just loses so much payload with a dump bed that a 450-550 series type truck would be needed. Depends on the work done with it. I can't make too many statements on dump truck because i don't own one. I picked up the dump trailer for the multi-purpose use. Mainly hauling and dumping but if I ever needed to rent or if I bought a piece of equipment I could use it. If you haul a piece of equipment daily you may want the dedicated equipment trailer.