PDA

View Full Version : Pine Cones-Pick up or Cut up?

ekcwmi
08-27-2010, 07:57 AM
I just want to know how you handle pine cones. I have an older Walker C model and just got a new property that has huge pine cones. Do you pick them up or cut over them? I would think that a side discharge would not be to much problem shooting them on to the neighbors yard (grin), but do you think they will hurt the GHS blowers on a Walker? I know if I hit one the pieces are like flying razor blades. Here is a picture (a little dark) of the property with the Walker hiding in the shade.

Smallaxe
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
If there are pine needles under the pines, you can always blow them into that area. If it is cleaned all the way through, and you cut high you can leave them be. Ugly or acceptable is the only rule to concern yourself with.
Any machine that may be damaged by pinecones, isn't worth having.

ElephantNest
08-28-2010, 07:04 AM
My Lazer XS turns them into dust. Unless they are quite a few of the very tight heavy ones, I just run them over.

unit28
08-28-2010, 09:24 AM
{One of the most familiar feature of pines is their cones.
Biologically, a pine cone is simply a fertilized female strobilus containing seeds within.}

since they're heavier than grass blades....
you may want to consider the variables of kenetic energy.

just remimber to point flying objects away from the neighbor:)

ekcwmi
08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
If there are pine needles under the pines, you can always blow them into that area. If it is cleaned all the way through, and you cut high you can leave them be. Ugly or acceptable is the only rule to concern yourself with.
Any machine that may be damaged by pinecones, isn't worth having.

Believe it or not there is grass under all those trees, grass, pine cones and huge roots that making mowing a pain in the drain. There are only a few circles of mulched areas. It takes me about 2 hours just to cut the place you see in the picture. Then I have to trim around those trees. I may kiss this customer BYE-BYE.

Smallaxe
08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I hear ya... I did convince a couple of clients to let the needles mulch the trees, as nature intended, and just pick out the big stuff, but it took years, to convince them that their "Grass" wasn't worth the trouble...

georgiagrass
09-18-2010, 01:41 AM
We run Walker MTGHS machines. They handle the pine cones with no problem whatsoever. Just run over them and vacume them up.

Rayner Lawncare
09-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't drop the customer. Charge more if you need to. Cut the cones just be careful cause those things can fly.

Johnny test
09-18-2010, 05:57 PM
You could pick them up and sell them to your local nursery for use in making xmas decorations like wreaths and stuff like that.. Well, here you could anyway..

ShooterK2
09-19-2010, 08:38 AM
My Scag will shoot some out the side (or into the catcher) while leaving others on the ground. I only concern myself with the ones in the grass. If they're under the trees, I don't worry about it. Never had a customer say anything.