PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Nails!!!!

goodbeus
08-06-2002, 07:12 PM
First job today, a residential account, the lady came out and told me she just had a new roof installed...so I'm thinking "great, how many nails will my mower find"...so I go over the property looking for any roofing nails, but that's kinda like finding a needle in a haystack...anyway, I didn't find any...I jump on the mower and go to work...halfway into it, I notice I've picked up 2 roofing nails on the left rear tire and 1 in the sulky tire (I was using a walk-behind)...ticked me off...anyway, finished mowing and that's all I picked up...plugged up the tires...My question is, what are some policies you guys would implement in a situation like this...it's not a pita account, it pays well and it's easy to do...i just hate the idea that some of these roofers don't care about where there trash goes and WE are the ones who find these nails... :angry:

awm
08-06-2002, 07:31 PM
an idea. dont know if u know what rare earth magnets are but they aint no ordinary magnetr. get u finger between two an u get a nice bloodblister.
any way order the pack o 10 from the ebay outlet . these are about the size of a pencil an 8th inch thick. get some jb weld and glue a magnet to every other tine of a metal rake. just drag it along an the roofing nails will collect on it like crazy. i made one and it work perfect.
u really wont understand until u see how strong the magnets are. good luck.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-06-2002, 07:37 PM
I charge the customer $40 a nail!!!!!

And trust me you "know" where and when you got them.

I had one we knocked on the door and explained to him what was going to happen and he went out and looked himslef.

Althought he did not like the $360 added to his bill.

I figure it this way, each tire costs more than most car tires, they should have enough brains to figure this out. If not I will enlighten them.

I had one guy ask can you just plug or patch them. I told him how many times can you do that to a tire. He had a blank look on his face. At $100 for a rear tire. how many plugs can you put in them?

Not many so it is well worth the added charge for both the time and trouble of plugging or replacing tires.

Fantasy Lawns
08-06-2002, 07:38 PM
I would relay to her that the roofer is leaving her open to legal issues (as well as themselves)

Say a child had walked across her yard (for any reason) n got a nail in their foot that her homeowners insurance might get a phone call

So instead of all this ....call to make sure the roofer comes out to drag the Roofers Magnet ... which any pro would have (should have done) before they left the job site

MOW ED
08-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Funny you say that. Last week I was on a lawn and noticed the ROLL of nails from a nail gun. AFTER I rolled over it. It was my day as all the nails were pointing into the ground. Otherwise it would have been like a police stop strip. I picked it up and shot it in the dumpster. No one around to yell at.
Just got lucky for once.

TLS
08-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Some roofing nails are Galvanized steel. They like magnets. Some are Aluminum...Magnets dont like those!

Sloppy contractor work, plain and simple!

cantoo
08-06-2002, 09:38 PM
What do you guys do about thorns, charge the customer also?

lawnstudent
08-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Some roofing nails are Galvanized steel. They like magnets. Some are Aluminum...Magnets dont like those!

Sloppy contractor work, plain and simple!

Sloppy contractor work? Typical contractor work!!!!!!!! Good luck.

jim

m&m
08-07-2002, 01:06 AM
another magnet that is good is an ole car speaker magnet.....used em when i used to shoe horses to pick up nails or if i spilled em.......have to be creative to make ya a rigamajig for it .......but they are strong

KirbysLawn
08-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by cantoo
What do you guys do about thorns, charge the customer also?

Huh? I have not seen a thorn around here that would puncture a tire.

As for the question, I dropped a customer a few years ago for this reason. She was a $75 a week customer, she had the roof re-done and I got nails in my tires every week. After ruining 2 sets of tires and the roofer accepting no responsibility I said enough.

I would talk to the customer and see what they have to say, amke sure they understand you position and go from there.

Sean Adams
08-07-2002, 02:09 AM
Was in the same situation as Kirby once. Painful to drop a good account, but it was actually dangerous and getting costly...

Now if I would have known LawnGodFather back then I would have also implemented the $40 per nail policy and I would be in good shape....He's always making money..... Gotta love it!!!

Rooster
08-07-2002, 06:37 AM
You might call you insurance agent and check about your liability as a homeowner.

I am getting a new roof once the weather has cooled a bit. My agent told me at least in my area, that if someone is walking thru your yard and happens to step on a nail, you as the homeowner are at fault.
Strange, someone tresspasses and the homeowner is at fault, but that is what I was told.

I know, a nail in a tire isn't has severe as a nail in someone's foot, but the idea is the same.

One option is to check at a local roofing supply or home improvement store and buy a large magnet that good roofers use to pick up any nails that may be hiding on the ground.

ProMo
08-07-2002, 07:29 AM
I sent an 80 dollar bill to a roofing co a few years ago and they paid it

crawdad
08-07-2002, 07:38 AM
KirbysLawn quote:

Huh? I have not seen a thorn around here that would puncture a tire.

Don't you have chestnut trees? I am dreading the falling of these things, I have some on one of my lawns, all ya gotta do is look at them, and you have a thorn in your finger that'll take days to wittle out. Does the same thing to tires, just sits in there, slow, hard to find leak. Threw out a velke tire this spring as it had one in it. They'll be falling soon. Oboy.
crawdad

LAWNGODFATHER
08-07-2002, 02:00 PM
We had a huge hail storm here last year, lots of new roofs and gutters. I am surprized as to not one nail from it. Saw alot of customers with new roofs.

It does cost a lot of money and time to replace a tire or even plug or patch one. Flat caster tires are a pain but a drive tire stops you dead in your tracks. If the bead breaks off the rim you could be in some time to reset it. This is why I set a fee for this.

summitgroundskeeping
08-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Stick it to the roofing company. They are supposed to run a magnet on wheels (they're huge magnets) over the ground to pick up the nails. Don't worry, it happened to me, except the homeowners never told me they got a new roof and it was 17 nails total.