PDA

View Full Version : Solid front tire installation?

karlgrooms
08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I had a solid front tire slip off the rim today. It was to late to get to my shop. Does anyone have any suggestions or methods to get this tire back on. It looks like it going to be a pita. :hammerhead:
I searched and could not find anything on this......Surely i cant be the only one this happend to but. . . then again.

Restrorob
08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Well.....If it slipped off it should slip back on !

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for I never had to deal with one but it sure sounds like it's going to be a pita.

If you do get it back on drill a few small holes around the rim on each side near the bead area, Then install some sheet metal screws to help hold it in place.

Kind of like 4x4 bead locks.....

karlgrooms
08-27-2010, 10:27 PM
No luck! I tried a 20 ton shop press ,soap and water, multiple blocks and holding my mouth jus right. That thing does not want to go back on. So i guess i will be hunting a shop to put it on or buy a new one.

I can not figure out how the darn thing came off. I thought like the previous poster said......If it slipped off it should slip back on. Not the case. Ha!:dizzy:

mcambrose
08-28-2010, 12:03 AM
The only thing I could think of would be to put it in boiling water for a while to get the rubber very pliable and to expand some. seems like I had to do this one time to put a solid push mower tire on.

ffemt1271
08-28-2010, 12:32 AM
i was picking up a tractor tire last week and the tire shop was mounting solid forklift tires on the rims. they were using a trailer mounted press that was gasoline powered, it was pretty large so i imagine it takes a lot of force for those tires.

fixer67
08-28-2010, 12:32 AM
The only thing I could think of would be to put it in boiling water for a while to get the rubber very pliable and to expand some. seems like I had to do this one time to put a solid push mower tire on.

You beat me to it. Getting it warm and pliable is the key. I once had one a little to big to fit in a pot or pan so I put it in an old metal tube full of water and built a fire under it. I had one that kept coming off and some sheet metal screws fixed that probelm.

ojonesy
08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes..quite the pita.
You need a special cone and a heavy duty press to mount these.
The cone tends to slip during the mounting process.
We don't sell them anymore...too much aggravation.
Haven't had any problems with the Carlisle Reliance flatproof assemblies.

Brian

karlgrooms
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes..quite the pita.
You need a special cone and a heavy duty press to mount these.
The cone tends to slip during the mounting process.
We don't sell them anymore...too much aggravation.
Haven't had any problems with the Carlisle Reliance flatproof assemblies.

Brian
I was thinking that after several attempts. Just could not find anything cone or dome shaped that would serve that purpose. Thanks for the tip on Carlisle assemblies i will see if i can source them. I found an Amerityre source and waiting to hear back from them. I am using the velkie tire until i can get something.
I guess i will be getting plenty of exercise. shoo! not that i wanted it in ninety degree weather.

MarcSmith
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
here is what I would have done after the first hour of frustration..

1. cut off the lip of the rim and slip it on and the reweld the lip back on...
or
2. slice the tire from the outer edge to the center open it up like a "c" and then slip it on the rim and then screw/glue the joint back together...

ed2hess
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
here is what I would have done after the first hour of frustration..

1. cut off the lip of the rim and slip it on and the reweld the lip back on...
or
2. slice the tire from the outer edge to the center open it up like a "c" and then slip it on the rim and then screw/glue the joint back together...

Marc,

Thanks for this idea ...I think I will run a little bead so maybe they won't
come off.

MarcSmith
08-31-2010, 07:18 AM
ed

you could even tackweld a small strip of metal in a few places as a "bead locker" so to speak...