PDA

View Full Version : Pick up our first Walker in the am.

dukester
08-06-2002, 08:04 PM
It's taken a while but we got the money up to purchase our Walker. We got a great deal I think. 48" 20hp 9bu. 1hr on the meter for $7020. The dealer had it at his place for 8 mos and had to move it. He might be getting out of the business. Anyway we are really happy about the mower I was willing to pay him up to 7800 got it. Question, how do you shut off the shut and make the deck just mulch? I'd love to hear any tips that will make the mower last longer or easer to mow with. Thanks for the reply in advance. And I think this is the best site for LC. :D

edward hedrick
08-06-2002, 08:49 PM
I bought the same machine last Thurs. 7700 w 14 hrs. I bought

the rear shoot. I bought it for leaves ED

Mowingman
08-06-2002, 10:21 PM
If you want to mulch, you can not do it with that deck, you need to buy a mulching deck. I have the same machine except with 2 42 inch decks. I bought it with the GHS deck and bought the rear discharge deflector. Later, I bought a 42" mulching deck. I mulch about 95% of the time, but the GHS deck is used in the fall for leaf cleanups. I love my Walker, would'nt be without one.:D

dukester
08-07-2002, 01:04 AM
I had read that I could block the discharge shoot to the hopper that the mower would work like a mulcher. What do you think?

ipm
08-07-2002, 06:34 AM
You can buy a piece of plastic that blocks the chute(sp?) internally.

walker-talker
08-07-2002, 09:01 AM
I have clogged the shute by accident and kept mowing to see how well it mulches, it does not. I used the "no-catch deflector" ($75) and it works alright, other than making a big mess. You should get the mulching blades though. I have since purchased the 52" dischrage/mulching deck that runs double blades. That thing is a monster. I have not found any grass that will slow it down yet and the cut is excellent. If it is high grass you are cutting, you might have to go over it again. I purchased it without the baffle system (I have heard they are worthless). Now, since all this, Walker has came out with another baffle system, but I have not heard any real comments on it. Hope this helps.

MATT

MikeLT1Z28
08-07-2002, 09:13 AM
i bought a 98 42" GHS with a 20hp (760 hours) kohler about 3 weeks ago and love it. i priced a new one just to see how much they were and here they are selling for 8200+tax. how much do the mulching decks typically run?

walker-talker
08-07-2002, 12:13 PM
52" used, tilt up model $1650. New, about $2300. Non tilt, used models are probably half that much.

MATT

Mowingman
08-07-2002, 10:44 PM
I thinl I paid $1200.00 for my 42" mulch deck about 3 years ago. The GHS deck will not mulch worth a darn with the chute blocked.:)

dukester
08-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the replys. The man we got it from said he had seen others guys block the shoot. But, he didn't know how well it worked. I put 6 hrs on it yesterday. I understand why everybody who has one loves them. This is the best thing to happen since "rice and gravy". It saved us over 35 mins. on one job. And about 10 to 15 mins. on the rest. I like the fact that you can save a lot of weedeater time using it. I guess we will invest in another deck next spring. Anyway I tried dixie chippers, and exmark both are good machines. But they can't do it like a Walker. Love my work.:cool: