PDA

View Full Version : Building a pati table from stone, any suggestions?

DeereHauler
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi guys. I finished a large patio install and the customer would like me to build a patio table from products similar to the materials used in the project. We used a mixed tumbled pattern, and ammons wall blocks from hanover, all the colors were gray, and sandstone. So i thought a blue stone slab would be nice, except i was quoted $900 for it. So that shot that down.

I'm looking for ideas, or places to look for materials to build something. I like the idea of granite, but the homeowner wasn't too sure of that. The other concern i have is stability. Even with glue, i think the table could be easily pushed over without a steel structure hidden in the legs.

At this point i'm shying away from it for a liability concern, unless i can find a solid way to make this. I'm sure this would be the only place to get some good input on something like this.

thanks

amscapes03
08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
What will the dimensions of this patio table be? How thick are you thinking?

DeereHauler
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
i measured my table at home, and it was very close to 3' wide, by 6' long. Those dimensions i'm sure of. As for thickness, i was thinking about 2" because the weight will be dispersed over the legs, and not the entire slab, any thinner and i think it would be too weak, but thats only my opinion.

DeereHauler
08-27-2010, 10:15 PM
so the title should say "patio" not pati...argg........

Here's the job. I'm thrilled with the final product, as is the homeowner. I personally may have not used as many lights, but at night it does look good, they used a lower watt bulb, and its not overpowering. I also wanted to do something different with the lights, and the piers. So i used the wall blocks to cap it, and the pavers to build it up. I removed the "tabs" or spacers from the pavers with a sanding disk on a grinder, and then I drilled out the final paver with a 3" hole saw, and fastened a section of aluminum pipe inside the pier, and the light slips over it and fastens to it. The switch is hidden it the back of the first pier, and theres also a receptacle in the middle pier. Theres also a bench built into the one section, it was something the homeowner requested when we first met. I loved the idea, and i incorporated it. The ground was the hardest shale i have ever built on. Yes the hill behind it is horrible looking, We talked about a wall, but there was no way they could afford it. In 3 years the hill hasn't done more than grow weeds, its solid rock, so im not too worried.

I know it will be asked, theres an opening in the wall along the side of the house. I tried and tried to talk him out of it, kindly, but he was very persistant......oh well, not my thing, but it turned out good. Its very hard to tell in the pictures, but we used a sandstone color for the patio, and wall blocks, and gray for caps, and borders (except for the sidewalk)

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-28-2010, 04:20 AM
You could build a base out of wall block and then do a poured concrete top with a stamped pattern similar to the patio pattern. We did a sink base the same way and it turned out pretty good.

amscapes03
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Combining the patio & walls you have a lot of concrete product there. Personally, I'd try to soften it up. Maybe push them towards something like teak. If their set on having natural stone, any slab of that size (3' x 6' x 2") is going to cost a fair amount, as you already know. If they do choose to go with bluestone, granite, synthetic stone or poured/stamped concrete, I'd probably go with a custom frame/legs made out of steel. Then have the steel table frame powder coated to match the wall lights.

DeereHauler
08-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Combining the patio & walls you have a lot of concrete product there. Personally, I'd try to soften it up. Maybe push them towards something like teak. If their set on having natural stone, any slab of that size (3' x 6' x 2") is going to cost a fair amount, as you already know. If they do choose to go with bluestone, granite, synthetic stone or poured/stamped concrete, I'd probably go with a custom frame/legs made out of steel. Then have the steel table frame powder coated to match the wall lights.

The custom metal legs are a good idea, something to break up all the stone. I'll throw that idea their way when i meet with them this coming week.

thanks

shovelracer
08-28-2010, 10:23 PM
There is a guy around here that does this sort of thing. They have all sorts of crazy stone and polished stuff in their yard. i would think though from what Ive seen that a table like that would go for several K. I can get you his info if you are interested.

DeereHauler
08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
There is a guy around here that does this sort of thing. They have all sorts of crazy stone and polished stuff in their yard. i would think though from what Ive seen that a table like that would go for several K. I can get you his info if you are interested.

i think i just got the book of his stuff from a local supplier, there are benches, and tables, chairs, most are highly polished. yeah your right, its kinda crazy stuff.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-29-2010, 03:45 PM
If your in PA your dealingt with bluestone quarries right? The 900 sounds like a landscape center price. I have 4x4 slabs I bought for 180 a piece. Thermal slabs 2" thick. Bought them for table tops actually. You can make a simple base with the stone too if you want