PDA

View Full Version : Drilling through Pavers-Need Advice

traderfjp
08-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I'm installing a Looploc cover around my pool. The pavers are set in sand and locked in with polysand. Looploc suggests that I use 1" x 15" aluminum tubes that need to be inserted into the pavers and base with a hammer drill. There is an anchor that sits in the top of the tube that holds the straps/springs of the cover. I've talked to a few supply houses that say contractors just drill the anchors into the pavers and don't bother with the tubes. The pool people who sold me the cover and Looploc say that if I don't use the tubes there is a chance the pavers will pull out. I'm thinking that it's a mesh cover and the water will go through it and maybe there might be some ice that freezes on it at best. The pulling will be from the side and not from the top. I've removed a cracked paver before and it was a ***** taking over an hour. I had to crack it to get it out. So the question is should I use the tubes at 6.00 each which will make a larger hole that is more readily seen or the smaller holes just for the anchors. I need to drill about 20 holes at a depth of 16" L x 1" W or should I just drill the smaller anchors and install them into the pavers? I actually bought the tubes anyway but can return them.

Thanks in advance.

DVS Hardscaper
08-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Holy cow that was a long paragragh to read.

I got as far as "the pavers are set in sand and locked in with polysand". Just for the record - The bedding sand is what creates the *interlock*. Polysand isn't used/intended for "locking" pavers.

But anywho (don't you hate people who say "anywho"), when drilling concrete products you start with a small dia. drill bit and work your way up in increments.

And if that dont tell ya nothin - then ask your concern again, just next time cut out all the jibber jabber......

traderfjp
08-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Your funny. I was asking if 1" anchors set in pavers will be strong enough to hold on a mesh looploc pool cover without pulling up the pavers. I know about small to large. Always better.

S.O.Contracting
08-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Use the tubes. The cover will pull your pavers up. Drill the pavers while the ground is dry. And drill in the center of the paver. The hammer drill can cause the pavers to shift if the base isn't super solid.

shovelracer
08-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Your funny. I was asking if 1" anchors set in pavers will be strong enough to hold on a mesh looploc pool cover without pulling up the pavers. I know about small to large. Always better.

No, the pavers will turn up eventually. Forget water draining through the cover, it will have thousands of pounds of water, ice, leaves on it, and it wont be eveny distributed cause most of the time 5 straps are tight and the rest are loose.

traderfjp
08-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the resonses. I have the tubes so I guess I better get drilling. It should be fun.