PDA

View Full Version : Groundskeeper, LLC - New Trailer

groundskeeperllc
08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I ordered this trailer three weeks ago and it was finally ready yesterday afternoon. I got up this morning and drove 10 hrs round trip to pick it up.

20' Performance Gooseneck-2' expanded metal sides, 5200lb axles, 6' ramp gate, LED lights

Here is a video walk around of the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQwLlrxMZ0

groundskeeperllc
08-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Jusmowin
08-28-2010, 10:54 PM
That is on hell of a trailer.

ok4me2xlr8
08-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Show us some pictures loaded up! That is one bad trailer man!

bobcat48
08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
kool.its very nice.

KrayzKajun
08-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Nice trailer!!!!

pbjunkie92
08-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Not only is that the nicest trailer ive seen in a long time, it is exactly what I a looking for. What did that set you back? if you dont mind me asking.

Nice trailer and good luck.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-29-2010, 02:44 AM
That trailer looks so nice. I would love to have something like that. Pretty much every option you got on it are ones I want lol.

groundskeeperllc
08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you, It's what I've been wanting and needing for a long time. I absolutly love the 2 foot sides, just enough height to keep everything in trailer and not too high where u can't reach in, my old trailer had the four foot walls and i hated it. The trailer set me back $4178 not including taxes. Origianlly I had it at about $3800 but I added the square top tubing $200 more and LED light package $100.

groundskeeperllc
08-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Thinking about getting the Elegator trailer gate assist, they seem to work well and don't take take up half of the top rail, any one have Elegator springs? I know alot of people have the Gorilla Lift around here but i don't know how i would mount it to that 3" Square tubing, i wonder if i could mount it on the inside or outside of the square tubing

groundskeeperllc
08-29-2010, 05:34 PM
some pics after loading equipment- my old Grasshopper 227 is in shop getting a new engine- 3500+hours- running weak and burning alot of oil- so i have my grandpaws Exmark 19hp/46" mower to use until my mower is ready,

C & T Landscaping
08-29-2010, 09:50 PM
What is that on the front of the Exmark? That red tube structure.

groundskeeperllc
08-29-2010, 10:53 PM
its my grandfathers mower and he is large and 76 years old, its a helper bar so he can get on and off the mower easier, i actually like it being there, I use it to push trampolines around some of my yards

mowerbrad
08-29-2010, 11:45 PM
That's a really nice trailer. I'm waiting on my new trailer to be finished, should be ready within another 2 weeks hopefully.

You got some very nice options on there.

groundskeeperllc
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Ordered some Extreme 3-tier Trimmer Racks last week- should be here tomorrow, and i ordered the Dual Elegator trailer gate assist today, will post pics as soon as stuff comes in and is installed

Kennedy Landscaping
09-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Good luck with the elegator. I looked at them when I was in the market for gate assists and didn't really care for that one. I saw a page or back or so that you were thinking about the Gorilla Lift. I think it would mount up just fine on that trailer, that is by far one of the biggest helpers on my trailer next to trimmer racks, etc.

jbell36
09-15-2010, 05:46 PM
ok i'm glad you went with the extreme rack, after watching your video i was going to tell you there isn't a better rack out there...as for the gate assist we have gas shocks...our area also has a very good trailer maker who builds their trailers very sturdy like yours and the gas shocks came standard on ours, if i was you i would def look into that, best gate assist i've seen...oh and very nice trailer by the way, i'm really liking the two feet walls

groundskeeperllc
09-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Good luck with the elegator. I looked at them when I was in the market for gate assists and didn't really care for that one. I saw a page or back or so that you were thinking about the Gorilla Lift. I think it would mount up just fine on that trailer, that is by far one of the biggest helpers on my trailer next to trimmer racks, etc.

I looked into Gorilla lift and studied them quite a bit- seems to be alot of problems and replacing stuff- i even went and tried gorilla lifts on several trailers in my area and wasn't impressed- it took some weight off the gates but not as much as claimed, plus drilling 16 holes into my new top rails- not gonna happen- the Elegator product seemed to be the best product out there and i don't have to drill a hole in my new toprail, just have to drill a hole on each side of the gate and their engineer is going to send me some instructions on how to mount it to the trailer without drilling

groundskeeperllc
09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
ok i'm glad you went with the extreme rack, after watching your video i was going to tell you there isn't a better rack out there...as for the gate assist we have gas shocks...our area also has a very good trailer maker who builds their trailers very sturdy like yours and the gas shocks came standard on ours, if i was you i would def look into that, best gate assist i've seen...oh and very nice trailer by the way, i'm really liking the two feet walls

thanks, i really love the 2' walls, had the 4' walls on my last trailer and hated them- so much more freedom with the shorter walls

groundskeeperllc
09-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I recieved my racks today and just got back from my freinds house, he welded them on for me, wow i really love how the Extreme Racks work, will post a video of them in the next few days

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Can you post a picture of the full setup attached to your truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

groundskeeperllc
09-17-2010, 06:41 PM
yes, I will as soon as I find my camera, disappeared????

groundskeeperllc
09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I finally found my camera!!!
Here are some pics and a video of my Extreme Trimmer Rack and my new 27 Kohler Command Pro installed on my Grasshopper 227- my old 27 Kohler had 3500 hrs and was getting weak and was burning alot of oil so i decided to replace it instead of putting any money into it
here's video of whole rig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGVnqxZLwY

RadiantLawnCare
09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
looks very nice. i like that trailer.

KrayzKajun
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks Great!!!

bobcat48
09-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks good.

South Florida Lawns
09-20-2010, 11:48 PM
now thats the way to do a trailer!

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Ordered some Extreme 3-tier Trimmer Racks last week- should be here tomorrow, and i ordered the Dual Elegator trailer gate assist today, will post pics as soon as stuff comes in and is installed

I have the same trailer assist and it works great. My trailer ramp probably weighs around 150 and the single worked great. The assist is great because it doesn't hog up your trailers side rails. The Extreme rack rules also.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
some pics after loading equipment- my old Grasshopper 227 is in shop getting a new engine- 3500+hours- running weak and burning alot of oil- so i have my grandpaws Exmark 19hp/46" mower to use until my mower is ready,

What capacity are those axles? I only see six lugs it looks like. I would recommend getting a bed mounted plug which is the norm for goosenecks. Do you have electric brakes on both axles? Having them on one axle is like a truck with no rear brakes. Brakes on all axles on tandem axle trailers or larger should really be the law.

Glad to see you have a Dodge. Hopefully it has a Cummins as if there is any other way to get a Dodge.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I ordered this trailer three weeks ago and it was finally ready yesterday afternoon. I got up this morning and drove 10 hrs round trip to pick it up.

20' Performance Gooseneck-2' expanded metal sides, 5200lb axles, 6' ramp gate, LED lights

Here is a video walk around of the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQwLlrxMZ0
Ooops! I skipped you first post. I see the axle info now. The only thing I would worry about is the spacing on the ramp uprights. Those heavy mowers are probably going to beat up the expanded metal and make it sag. When the time comes for new expanded metal you can always have all the gaps filled in with an extra piece of tube stock.

MileHigh
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Another good explanation of why you go to TX for trailers.

preferably MT Pleasant.

groundskeeperllc
09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Ooops! I skipped you first post. I see the axle info now. The only thing I would worry about is the spacing on the ramp uprights. Those heavy mowers are probably going to beat up the expanded metal and make it sag. When the time comes for new expanded metal you can always have all the gaps filled in with an extra piece of tube stock.

I plan on putting some more support crossmembers on the gate to beef it up, the expanded metal is already sagging in a few spots.

I did recieve my Elegator Spring Assist yesterday and installed it last night and this morning, WOW it works great, I'll post a video and pics later today

groundskeeperllc
09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
thanks everyone for your complements, this is the trailer i been wanting for a few years, now that i have it, I just have to slowly deck it out with racks and ETC.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I plan on putting some more support crossmembers on the gate to beef it up, the expanded metal is already sagging in a few spots.

I did recieve my Elegator Spring Assist yesterday and installed it last night and this morning, WOW it works great, I'll post a video and pics later today

I would actually cut out the crossmembers and add 2-3 more upright sections of square tube stock between the existing uprights. That's a really tall gate supporting some heavy mowers. Over time your likely to have issues with the gate starting to sag in the middle.

Adding uprights now can stop the problem from starting. If you add uprights you can probably skip adding the crossmembers that require a lot of cutting and welding. Your only dilema is your only going to be able to weld the uprights on three sides because of the expanded metal. For a gate that tall I wouldn't want my uprights to exceed 6" OC.

Most trailer places give you multiple ramp build options. Did they ask you what the trailer was going to be used for? It looks like there are only four interior uprights in the ramp. That would make the sections of unsupported expanded metal about 18" OC. I would have to say shame on a trailer place for building a ramp with gaps 12" OC let alone 18" OC>

groundskeeperllc
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Here is some pics of the ELEGATOR Spring Assist
I'm in the process of loading a video it will be up shortly

PlantscapeSolutions
09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I would put some blocks of wood in the trailer and on the ramp to protect the mounting hardware. If you catch the end of the spring on a mower tire or deck and bend the strip of metal that attached to the spring it's a total loss. The strips of metal are heat treated so they lose their strength if they get bent. You have to buy a whole new spring and it's not cheap. You can't buy just the hardware clip on the end of the spring. My guys screwed up a spring mounting clip and I had to ante up some bucks.

groundskeeperllc
09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
it should be fine, its just me and 1 worker that take the mowers on and off, we are carefull, my mower decks are both 61" and the gate is 83" wide, there is plenty of clearance on both sides

groundskeeperllc
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Here is the video of the ELEGATOR trailer gate spring assist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqajlcgHqIc

dougdm
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Why did you get the 3" square tubing on the side rails? I love the trailer, but was just curious. Extra strength?

Also on my trailer the expanded metal on the gate started to break free from the gate. I took a piece of 1" flat stock and welded down the gate where the metal grating ended on the edge. I belive it gave it a cleaner edge and gave more to weld on, on the back on the gate (up position).

Love the new addition

Green Team Landscaping
09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
If you were to actually put in a hitch and tow another trailer behind that one, would you need any special licensing, or are there any special requirements? I'm kind of curious about that...

groundskeeperllc
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Why did you get the 3" square tubing on the side rails? I love the trailer, but was just curious. Extra strength?

Also on my trailer the expanded metal on the gate started to break free from the gate. I took a piece of 1" flat stock and welded down the gate where the metal grating ended on the edge. I belive it gave it a cleaner edge and gave more to weld on, on the back on the gate (up position).

Love the new addition

I just wanted the square tubing, my thought was it was gonna be easier to mount stuff to a flat surface than to a round surface, and i think it looks better than round pipe top

groundskeeperllc
09-23-2010, 09:17 PM
If you were to actually put in a hitch and tow another trailer behind that one, would you need any special licensing, or are there any special requirements? I'm kind of curious about that...

i have no idea????, i didn't even know i was getting this option, i might come in handy if a have a job thats far away and i need more space to haul materials

Oakleaf landscape
09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Green Team, you need to check with DOT in your state.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

And it looks like New Hampshire is not allowed to triple tow. Only allowed in some states.

dougdm
09-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Oakleaf that is a helpful website!!! I didn't know about the info for MO.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-25-2010, 01:36 AM
it should be fine, its just me and 1 worker that take the mowers on and off, we are carefull, my mower decks are both 61" and the gate is 83" wide, there is plenty of clearance on both sides

If you look at the pics on the thread My Custom Built Triple Axle Trailer you can see my overkill ramp. My original ramp was much worse than yours. Mine had very cheap thin expanded metal, crappy angle iron uprights, and it weighed a ton since it was 6'-10" wide.

My gate headed straight to the recycling bin. We built the one in the pics from scratch. The expanded metal is a really heavy gauge stuff that will shred anything you ram into. Just the piece of expanded metal weighs more than most gates.

I've had huge front end loaders that hold five yards bump the ramp. I had a smaller loader holding a 2900 lb pallet of mulch start driving up my ramp before I could take the ramp off for loading. My ramp might handle a skid steer OK but I have a second Ramp for heavy equipment.

The other posting mentions a strip of metal for the ramp and my smaller trailer has the same thing and it works great. I have a strip of metal along the edge of the ramp closest to the trailer. This is the area most prone to getting hit by the mower deck. The strip protect the expanded metal from getting hit and starting to peel.

Once expanded metal on a ramp gets damaged by mowers or starts to sag it's usually all down hill from there. Once a few sections of metal get damaged things tend to snowball or you run the risk of tearing up an expensive tire.

Lefet
02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
So have you put racks and what not on it? What did you decide to go with? Any recent pictures? Did you get that third mower?

groundskeeperllc
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
So have you put racks and what not on it? What did you decide to go with? Any recent pictures? Did you get that third mower?

I haven't added anymore racks since the Extreme 3position rack, plan on purchasing another 3position rack soon and also 2 BR600 racks but havn't decided on blower rack brand yet, really looking at Fab Works BR600 racks, havn't got new mower yet, been looking at new Gravely but probably gonna wait til April-May

944own
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I really like your trailer, look at the trimmer trap blower racks made specially for the stihl br series blowers I researched all of them and ended up getting these and they work great.http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/open-trailer/st-2-stihl-br-500.html