PDA

View Full Version : First mulch job (pics)

wvaughn7
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Well today me and my brother had our first big mulch job. We ended up spreading right at 11 cubic feet of mulch. It was more than expected, but we still made a decent profit. A different company put the landscaping in in April and it was already overtaken with weeds and about two feet of grass they were supposed to take care of. They were also supposed to come and weed as specified in their contract this past Tuesday. They did come to weed, but they more or less pulled out the really bad things and weed-eated the grass which made a huge mess. Within the past four months almost all the mulch has disappeared, which makes me believe they did not put enough down or used an inferior mulch. I also saw they were in it only to make a profit as they charged almost $4000. Here are some pics after we got finished so let me know what you guys think. Constructive criticism is welcomed!

nepatsfan
08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Well today me and my brother had our first big mulch job. We ended up spreading right at 11 cubic feet of mulch. It was more than expected, but we still made a decent profit. A different company put the landscaping in in April and it was already overtaken with weeds and about two feet of grass they were supposed to take care of. They were also supposed to come and weed as specified in their contract this past Tuesday. They did come to weed, but they more or less pulled out the really bad things and weed-eated the grass which made a huge mess. Within the past four months almost all the mulch has disappeared, which makes me believe they did not put enough down or used an inferior mulch. I also saw they were in it only to make a profit as they charged almost $4000. Here are some pics after we got finished so let me know what you guys think. Constructive criticism is welcomed!

I think thats why all of us are in business. FYI looks like more than 11 cubic feet. Generally looks much better when you edge.

Will P.C.
08-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Mulch always seems to take a little more time and material than expected

wvaughn7
08-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Ya I hear ya on the time and material thing haha, but it was a good first experience overall. I did it a little cheap as stated, but this lady has many more jobs for us and also her family is wanting some mulch and basic maintanance done so I figured that I could go a little cheap on the first project to make a good impression, especially after she got screwed by the last company. Patsfan I agree it does look like it is more than that, but according to the supplier the bucket on the tractor is a little under one cu. ft. so I figured it would be barely over by the time you add what's hanging over the edge of the bucket. Also edging was not within the budget at the moment so we just spread it and left.

nepatsfan
08-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Ya I hear ya on the time and material thing haha, but it was a good first experience overall. I did it a little cheap as stated, but this lady has many more jobs for us and also her family is wanting some mulch and basic maintanance done so I figured that I could go a little cheap on the first project to make a good impression, especially after she got screwed by the last company. Patsfan I agree it does look like it is more than that, but according to the supplier the bucket on the tractor is a little under one cu. ft. so I figured it would be barely over by the time you add what's hanging over the edge of the bucket. Also edging was not within the budget at the moment so we just spread it and left.

I think you mean a cubic yard a cubic foot would be a real big shovel full

wvaughn7
08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Yes didn't notice I was putting cubic feet haha I did mean cubic yards. Oh and also tell me what you think of this. The other "landscapers" charged $75 for one hour of weed pulling, and we took out five wheelbarrows overflowing with weeds and dead grass. Would you even be able to leave a property after doing that bad of a job for that amount of money and not feel bad?

PerfectEarth
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Some of the worst landscaping and garden trinkets/lights I have ever seen.

beegreenlandcare
08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Ya, I thought there was a lot of "garbage" in there too:rolleyes: i hate it when the client goes after me and 'ruins' a good job.

soloscaperman
08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
The customer put a lot of nicknacks in the flower beds. That crap drives me crazy. Looks to busy in there.

Chevy z71
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
nice work......

wvaughn7
08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
All the little ornaments and the hundreds of tiny plants spaced entirely too close are not my doings just to make sure everyone knows. All I did was put new mulch in. I hated the way there was stuff everywhere. If it were my landscaping all the ornamental things would be pulled out and only the plants that looked good would be left.

Patriot Services
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
That is a really odd landscape, poor placement of the dull looking plants. The trinkets make it look like Dr. Suess threw up on Disneyland. A good example of how not to design a landscape. I bet her house is full of kitten decorations.:usflag:

Johnny test
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Looks great although the edge in the top left photo looks a little odd.

I like my bed edges to look machine cut.. I go down at least 4 inches then bring the mulch down to the bottom of the four. I don't fill the trench with mulch. The edge of the lawn is usually about two inches higher than the edge of the mulch( does that make sense?) Then I smooth the mulch over by hand removing all lumps (makes a big difference)

But looks good...

Johnny test
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM
OK, so I made this little diagram to show you what I mean....

clean_cut
08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, the mulch looks good, but those lights and junk in the garden look, well never mind...

As a few have said, next time I would offer to edge the garden, for 1 it will look a lot better and 2 you get another job.

Kinz
08-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't spread mulch unless you edge the bed first. It's a reflection on you and your company. That's my rule.

THEGOLDPRO
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah def need to edge beds first or it just looks amature, what did you charge to put down the 11 yards of mulch?

punt66
08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Yup, no edge there. Does not look professional.

THEGOLDPRO
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
it also looks pretty clumpy-ish i like my mulch to look smoothhhhh.

Kinz
08-29-2010, 10:23 PM
...and making it smooth takes a lot of practice. I was a landscape forman for a company and we had a couple of guys that could make it look like glass. It was quite impressive. Practice, practice, practice!

THEGOLDPRO
08-29-2010, 10:38 PM
like this? :)

http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/hemlock11.jpg
http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/hemlock12.jpg

nepatsfan
08-29-2010, 10:44 PM
like this? :)

http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/hemlock11.jpg
http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/hemlock12.jpg

nice looking wall...and mulch

soloscaperman
08-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah the secret is to not make your mulch look like "Mash Potatoes"

Johnny test
08-30-2010, 07:07 AM
nice looking wall...and mulch

Nice mulch..! Although I'd be worried about it washing out, on a slope like that..

I'd be all about putting in a nice terraced retaining wall..

Johnny test
08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
...and making it smooth takes a lot of practice. I was a landscape forman for a company and we had a couple of guys that could make it look like glass. It was quite impressive. Practice, practice, practice!

Kinda like screeding concrete...

capelawncare.com
08-30-2010, 07:29 AM
With all due respect about the edges, any customer who has "landscape light garden" like they do, probably wont appreciate a well defined bed edge.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Nice mulch..! Although I'd be worried about it washing out, on a slope like that..

I'd be all about putting in a nice terraced retaining wall..

you know surprisenly it doesn't wash out at all. we do about 20 yards of mulch at this house every year with no wash out problems.

bdoeden
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice work!

wvaughn7
08-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey guys sorry for the laye reply. That is a very nice job on the mulch pics you posted, and for the person that asked about price we did it for 360 which like I said was too cheap. What can I say though? You live and you learn!

punt66
08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey guys sorry for the laye reply. That is a very nice job on the mulch pics you posted, and for the person that asked about price we did it for 360 which like I said was too cheap. What can I say though? You live and you learn!

Wow! $37 a yard installed? That included the mulch?

nepatsfan
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow! $37 a yard installed? That included the mulch?

Sometimes I wonder why I dont get jobs, then I come on here and it makes me feel better.

Cutter1
08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I dont get jobs, then I come on here and it makes me feel better.

That made my night nepatsfan!!

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
lol @37 a yard.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 09:50 PM

that better not have included the price fo the mulch.

punt66
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
lol @37 a yard.

i wouldnt deliver it and dump it in the guys driveway for 37 a yard haha

Kinz
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
you need to double that!

punt66
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
that better not have included the price fo the mulch.

i believe it did as he stated he needed more in one of his posts.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
lol its actually $32 bucks a yard.

i would have charged a MINIMUM of $825 bucks installed, thats just the labor, then an extra $300 bucks for the mulch. for a grand total of $1125.00 bucks for everything.

punt66
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM

i would have charged a MINIMUM of $825 bucks installed, thats just the labor, then an extra $300 bucks for the mulch. for a grand total of $1125.00 bucks for everything.

360/11=32.7 your right, i must have seen the 7 and responded too quickly.

punt66
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM

wow, your getting good money for mulch. I have been doing $75 installed. Your getting 75 just for labor?

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
i dunno how he made any money if this included the price of mulch as well, around here the cheapest mulch i can get is like 25 a yard 25x11=$275 for product. he charged $360 for the entire job, thats like $85 bucks to install it all????

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 10:04 PM
wow, your getting good money for mulch. I have been doing $75 installed. Your getting 75 just for labor?

yea we charge 75per yard installed that included edging,weeding, and laying the product. than whatever the cost of mulch is on top of that.

punt66
08-30-2010, 10:11 PM
i dunno how he made any money if this included the price of mulch as well, around here the cheapest mulch i can get is like 25 a yard 25x11=$275 for product. he charged $360 for the entire job, thats like $85 bucks to install it all????

i get mine for $18. Makes sense. I charge extra for edging and prep. So it is probably close.

bobcat48
08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Good job.nice work.

corey4671
08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
ho lee .............

corey4671
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
mods. we need a new smiley. one with the facepalm and shaking his head in disbelief.

nepatsfan
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM

I guess thats just how some guys operate. Doesn't make sense to me either:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy:

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 10:32 PM
i get mine for $18. Makes sense. I charge extra for edging and prep. So it is probably close.

i actually work on a sliding scale kinda, i charge 65-75 per yard depending on how much prep is needed, if there is very little weeding and edging i will charge 65 per yard if there is alot of prep i charge 75, all depends how i feel that day really.

corey4671
08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess thats just how some guys operate. Doesn't make sense to me either:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy:

yeah I mean profit is overrated. think about the great write off this will be at the end of the season. All cost and no profit...no taxes...oh wait....nevermind

wvaughn7
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok guys I just cannot justify charging someone 75 dollars a yard to put mulch down. At the price we quoted my brother and I made 15 dollars an hour. Yes I did it too cheap, but I am only going to charge 50 installed now. You have to think this was only putting in the mulch, not edging or anything else.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
why would you want to work for 15 bucks an hour? trust me when you get older, and bigger (if you actually survive making no money) you will look back on this and wonder why you were cheap.

nepatsfan
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok guys I just cannot justify charging someone 75 dollars a yard to put mulch down. At the price we quoted my brother and I made 15 dollars an hour. Yes I did it too cheap, but I am only going to charge 50 installed now. You have to think this was only putting in the mulch, not edging or anything else.
I will not install mulch if they don't want it edged. You say what a crappy job the other company did.....what do you think people will think of your work if you dont prep properly. You are also going to have overhead and one other pesky little thing called TAXES. How bout your insurance and all your tools and what not. I am getting aggravated so I will leave it at that.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
yea hes clearly not a real business, just a few 15 year olds working for pizza money,

corey4671
08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I will not install mulch if they don't want it edged. You say what a crappy job the other company did.....what do you think people will think of your work if you dont prep properly. You are also going to have overhead and one other pesky little thing called TAXES. How bout your insurance and all your tools and what not. I am getting aggravated so I will leave it at that.

don't forget the truck and the fiel to get the material to the jobsite. Kid THINKS he made $15 an hour when in reality he was paying this old woman for the opportunity to work.

Kinz
08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Why not charge a fee for the mulch -- say $30. - $35. per yard, then an hourly rate to spread it. That way, if you have to do other things like edging, or cleaning out a patch of grass, or small grading with a rake, or whatever, you're covered.

Johnny test
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
wvaughn7 Ok guys I just cannot justify charging someone 75 dollars a yard to put mulch down. At the price we quoted my brother and I made 15 dollars an hour. Yes I did it too cheap, but I am only going to charge 50 installed now. You have to think this was only putting in the mulch, not edging or anything else.

wvaughn7,

If you can get your mulch for $18.00per yard and charge $50.00, that leaves $32.00 for install. That's a little better than what you had.. I think in my area that's is a fare (low) price. If you edge I'd add $1.50 per linear ft for edging. But that does not include weed pulling...
If you are required to pull weeds by hand that would be another charge per square foot.
If it was a newly installed bed, I would put my edge down(1.50LF, Roundup inside the perimeter (1.50 sq ft) then come back the next day and lay mulch at $50.00 per yard.

At least you got some experience on this one...even if you didn't get much cash...

nepatsfan
09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
wvaughn7,

If you can get your mulch for $18.00per yard and charge $50.00, that leaves $32.00 for install. That's a little better than what you had.. I think in my area that's is a fare (low) price. If you edge I'd add $1.50 per linear ft for edging. But that does not include weed pulling...
If you are required to pull weeds by hand that would be another charge per square foot.
If it was a newly installed bed, I would put my edge down(1.50LF, Roundup inside the perimeter (1.50 sq ft) then come back the next day and lay mulch at $50.00 per yard.

At least you got some experience on this one...even if you didn't get much cash...

$1.50 per linear foot for edging is an absolutely absurd price and you will get very few jobs with that price. 300 feet of edging for $450. what is your hourly rate $300.

nepatsfan
09-01-2010, 07:41 PM
wvaughn7,

$1.50 a linear foot for edging and $50 per yard installed. Thats like selling a brand new F350 for 10 grand and charging 20 grand for power windows.

Johnny test
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
$1.50 a linear foot for edging and $50 per yard installed. Thats like selling a brand new F350 for 10 grand and charging 20 grand for power windows.

Ok if I'm making a brand new bed from scratch that is 10ft wide x 10ft long(square) with no berm, mulched 3" inches deep and Qty2 boxwood's installed.

I would price it like this:

Mulch = $18.00 @ $18.00 cu yard
installation = $32.00 @$32.00 per yard
Edge = $75.00 @ 1.50 lft
Roundup = $15.00 @.15 sq ft (Note: in previous post I said 1.50 sq ft by mistake)

Qty 2 Buxus ( Green Velvet Boxwood 3gal. ) $72.00 @ $32.00 each
Installation $43.20 @ 60%(60% is on the low side)

Total $255.20
Tax $5.40

Grand total $260.60

(That's the way it's done by me...)

Johnny test
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I messed up on the dimension above, that would be a bed 5x20...Oh, and total time on property maybe 30min?

Kinz
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Except that $1.50 x 100 linear ft. is $150.00

Johnny test
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM

LOL, Seriously?

Kinz
09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
But here's a question...I used to charge tax on an invoice to a customer because I didn't pay sales tax for material when I bought it. After talking to the nurseries I buy from, they said that 95% of the landscapers pay sales tax. Then after working for a landscape company, I realized that they billed cutomers withought sales tax, only as a labor charge, because they already paid the sales tax when they bought the material. That way they don't have to pay quarterly taxes. I know this is getting off the subject, but that last calculation by Johnnie Test got me wondering. How do y'all do sales tax? If I need to do another thread somewhere I will.

Johnny test
09-02-2010, 05:58 AM

And 100 linear ft would be a bed, what size????

If I need to do another thread somewhere I will

another thread would be awesome..

nepatsfan
09-02-2010, 07:10 AM
But here's a question...I used to charge tax on an invoice to a customer because I didn't pay sales tax for material when I bought it. After talking to the nurseries I buy from, they said that 95% of the landscapers pay sales tax. Then after working for a landscape company, I realized that they billed cutomers withought sales tax, only as a labor charge, because they already paid the sales tax when they bought the material. That way they don't have to pay quarterly taxes. I know this is getting off the subject, but that last calculation by Johnnie Test got me wondering. How do y'all do sales tax? If I need to do another thread somewhere I will.

I do not specify the amount of materials. If you sell mulch and mark it up even if its a dollar you have to charge sales tax. If you dont specify how much you are charging individually you can sell the mulch at exactly what you paid for. Even though you will be incorporating a mark up or higher "labor costs".

Kinz
09-02-2010, 07:36 AM
100 linear ft. could be any bed size with 100 linear ft. 10x10, 5x20, still 100 linear ft. So with your calculation Johnny, that's $150. I know I suck at math, but my calculator doesn't. Your billing shows $75., so I'm just confused.

Kinz
09-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I thought I dedited my post but it didn't show up. So...I was figuring sq. footage not linear ft. Sorry. So 40 linear ft. is more like it. My 54 yr. old brain sometimes doesn't act right! Sorry Johnny.