PDA

View Full Version : Defective tire???

GonHuntin
08-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Just had a flat on my new Diesel Z and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what happened. I was mowing along and noticed that the right front tire wasn't touching the ground, so I stopped and looked at the left rear tire, it was flat. I grabbed the air tank, filled the tire and got the mower into the garage. It appears that the sidewall of the tire has multiple cuts in it. Looks like it was cut with a razor blade! This mower has less than 10 hours on it and has been kept locked in my garage since it was delivered in June. I haven't hit anything with the tire and I certainly haven't cut it with anything. My wife and I are the only people with access to the garage.

I worked in the tire business for a few years back in the 80s, I have fixed and/or replaced hundreds of tires, I have seen many many flats that people drove on and cut the sidewall. The cuts on this tire are NOT from driving on it flat. There is no softening or abrasion of the sidewall which indicates having been driven at low or no pressure. The edges of the cuts are perfectly sharp edges and some are located on the sidewall in an area that the wheel could never contact, even if the tire was flat.

This mower has never been driven off my yard since being delivered. I walked the entire area I mowed today, looking for something that could have cut the tire and found nothing.

So, have there been any problems with defective tires on these mowers???

mowerconsultant
08-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Weird...
I am not aware of any tire defects / issues, these are the same model tire just about every mfg uses.
I would contact your dealer and talk to them about it.

Pj

MarcSmith
08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
possible, but when some larger tires are delivered they are wrapped in shrink wrap with shipping labels and maybe when they were unpacked the guy who unwrapped them was juts too lazy to care and cut the wrap with a box cutter and got a little too deep on a few and then after some time running t he mower the leak developed in the weakened area...

just a thought

GonHuntin
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Pj

I looked at the tire again this morning, it is clear that it has been cut, but I can't figure out how??

I have never seen one of these mowers in a crate, is it possible that the tire was cut while it was being uncrated?? Are they shrink wrapped from the factory?? That's the only thing I can think of.......

You may remember that you found this mower for me and it was transferred from another dealer to mine. I don't think my dealer uncrated or assembled it, so I'm sure they didn't cut the tire. My dealer isn't open today, but I doubt they are going to want to replace this tire because it has clearly been cut.

Guess I get to buy a new tire.......and they aren't cheap!!

rwaters
08-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I had a mower come in to the shop like that once and we found that a guy had been loading it on a trailer and catching the tire on the side of the trailer. it is possible that something like this could have happened in shipping or delivery and not shown up for a short while. I would talk to the dealer and see what he can do.

But I would also guess this is not going to be easy for the dealer to get covered, I am a hustler dealer due to how they cover warrantys but tires are difficult to prove how they were damaged.

mowerconsultant
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Pj

I looked at the tire again this morning, it is clear that it has been cut, but I can't figure out how??

I have never seen one of these mowers in a crate, is it possible that the tire was cut while it was being uncrated?? Are they shrink wrapped from the factory?? That's the only thing I can think of.......

You may remember that you found this mower for me and it was transferred from another dealer to mine. I don't think my dealer uncrated or assembled it, so I'm sure they didn't cut the tire. My dealer isn't open today, but I doubt they are going to want to replace this tire because it has clearly been cut.

Guess I get to buy a new tire.......and they aren't cheap!!

There is nothing in the crate or near the tire that would require cutting with a knife or razor, their are plastic straps that are cut with side cutters.

Pj

GonHuntin
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I called the parts dept of my dealer and they didn't have a replacement tire in stock, so I ordered one online.

My dealer wouldn't even give me a "Team Hustler" T Shirt when I bought an $11k mower, don't figure he would want to do much about a tire that I can't prove I didn't damage.

I know I didn't cut the tire, but I can't prove it was done before I got it either.......guess I'll just chalk it up to one of those things........kind of leaves a bad taste though!!

rwaters
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I would talk to your dealer, I have sold items at a big loss to a customer that damaged a piece of equipment they just bought when they came in really nice about it. It is possible if your nice and explain what happened he could do the same thing I do.