PDA

View Full Version : Honda Lawn Mower Surge (Hunting)

yardco
08-29-2010, 05:58 PM
2009 Honda HRR2165VXA
I have been using this mower for mowing 15 or so lawns once a week for the last year. This year I've started having problems when the mower is idling. The throttle cable has been stretched a little bit because I fold the handle down to fit in my truck.

I've adjusted the throttle cable. The mower works pretty good at WOT when the blade is engaged. It surges and hunts for good speed when at idle. I've cleaned the carb out twice and adjusted the cable a few times. The fuel is new and the oil has been changed. I've also taken off the air filter entirely and it still has an issue.

Any suggestions would be great.

The Lawn Ranger CT.
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Check the gasket between the carb and the motor, sometimes there's an air leak, best way to check ( from what was advised to me ) is , while it it running at idle, spray some carb cleaner around the gasket and see if it increases the motor speed, if so you have a leaky gasket to replace.
Other wise I'd take the carb off again and spray with cleaner and make sure you blow out all the jets with a compressor, all it take is a small piece of dirt and your not running right.

yardco
08-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, I think that's the problem. I sprayed a little carb cleaner on the gasket mounted on the engine and sure enough, the idle increased. Looks like I need some new gaskets. I will purchase a gasket kit and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help.