PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Controllers - what to buy

rawtoxic
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Ok, I know there has to be something better than the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller I have been using in our trucks for the last 5 years, please let me know what you would recommend and why.

I don't like how many Voyager is so touchy with the balance setting needing changed for every trailer. I would prefer have a brake controller that does not need adjusted when I change trailers as I use 3 different trailers with the trucks.

Hoping to find something that will make me happy not frustrated, let me know what you like and why..

Thanks
RT

poncho62
08-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Different weight trailers are going to need different settings......something you have to live with........

Every controller I have ever tried is very touchy........wish they had a knob rather than that little slider

GravelyGuy
08-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I used the Prodigy P3 for two trailers and I only had to adjust it when the trailers were empty becuase the brakes would lock up. Worked pretty good.

rawtoxic
08-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes my trailers all weigh within about 500 pounds of each other, but I think the weight distribution of them is different and that effects the controller. Sometimes I can't get my voyager in the adjustment range.

bobs lawn care
08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Tekoshna Prodigy P3

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I've got a Hayes Energizer III and it works great IMO. My mowing trailer don't have brakes on it yet but I hope to do that sometime. Anyways, I pull a 20ft trailer sometimes and a 16ft trailer, both with brakes and it never locks up the brakes or needs adjusted.

Runner
09-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I have a Reese. It is nice because not only does it have a sensitivity adjustment, but a delay adjustment as well - setting the synchronization of the truck and trailer.

mowerbrad
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a tekonsha P3 Brake Controller for sale on here. I bought it about a month ago and never got it installed on my old truck and my new truck already has an integrated controller. So the P3 is no use to me anymore. It's never been used and still in the original packaging (everything is still there).

It was a top of the line controller that many people recommended to me.

ProTouch Groundscapes
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
i also vote for the P3, about as good as you can get for an aftermarket system. you really cant hold a candle to integrated systems like fords or chevy.

the p3 has a boost adjustment as well for different sized trailers.

we put our p3 in our 02 chevy HD, our two f350's have the integrated systems.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
bought the p3 and love it. like said before i have to adjust it when the trailer empty but easy to use.