PDA

View Full Version : Good news

yardboyltd
08-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Today I officially paid off my new Gravely 260z that I got in April. I would have paid it off 4 weeks ago, however, my commercials send money my ways about 30 days after billing... It feels great, especially at my age.

Also by coincidence my new Magnum gators arrived at searching high and low finding one to fit my model. FYI got them at www.jacksmallengines.com. THey have a huge selection. Anyways, I sharpened all the blades up and decided to give the doubles a whirl. Took me 3 trys to get the throttle just right so it wouldn't die, but the results were INCREDIBLE.

Anyways, this is all made possible thanks to the community here. Thanks everyone.

Albemarle Lawn
08-07-2002, 12:13 AM
I have 3 Gravely 260Z machines. The oldest is 4 seasons old and still going strong. You should be able to use your paid-off machine to put money in your pocket for a long time!

Do you have any pictures of the doubles? I was curious since it looks like the blade bolt on the 260Z is a custom-item. Do you not use one or both of the washers?

PS I'm jealous. I started at age 20 (8 years ago) and walked behind a 48" for 2 years, then got a Velke, then the first Gravely after four years in business.

Ken

Joel B.
08-07-2002, 12:33 AM
You should be very proud of yourself! I work in the finance industry (over 16 years), reviewing financial info on thousands of people each year. It is extremely rare to see someone manage a business and credit so well at such an early age. Remember to have some non-work fun too!

Here's to you, Yardboy!

Joel's wife (Bridget)

yardboyltd
08-07-2002, 12:55 AM
Albemarle: I'll get some pic's tomorrow hopefully. My 260z uses a 5/8" bolt. Stock it came with a domed locking washer on bottomw and a thick spacer washer above that. That thick washer is the same thickness has the blades, so I simply removed that washer and kept the locking washer on bottom... I find it convenient they did it that way and prevents me from finding a longer size bolt. Hopefully yours are the same way.

Bridget, thanks. I printed out my amortization table of my loan, and I saw it was costing me $40 a month interest at 6.9%. Also, I don't like loans hanging the balance. And yes, I'll be sure have some fun. I'm working on flying lessons and license ($3500) and getting ready to buy a 98 or 99 Trans AM.

HOMER
08-07-2002, 01:09 AM
If you got the "money" issue figured out this early........you got it made!

Wish I had some dollars and cents sense!:rolleyes:

Congrats and good luck.

Richard Martin
08-07-2002, 05:52 AM
I'm a little confused as to why you had to search so far to get Gators for your mower. My buddy has a 260Z and it takes the same blades as my Dixie and my other buddy's Exmark. It's a 20.5" blade with a 5/8" hole.

yardboyltd
08-08-2002, 01:30 AM
I didn't know that richard. I just searched for that specific model. Learn something new everyday. Should make my search next time easier.

Here's my current double setup.

lawnmowerman29
08-08-2002, 02:12 AM
if your gravely is still under warranty, they have a spindle update, it replaces all three spindles with heavy duty spindles and full 5/8 bolt not a 1/2 with a 5/8 shoulder. Tell your dealer you keep breaking blade bolts at it will be covered.

yardboyltd
08-08-2002, 03:20 PM
And to clarify, the original hi-lifts moved down into the spacer-washer spot and the gatorstook the place of the originals

thfireman
08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Hey!! Thats the best close up photo I have seen that shows the double blade set up. Good Job! I might try this weekend to set mine up and try it out in my lawn first!:blob3:

Jimbo
08-08-2002, 04:06 PM
I was getting ready to add doubles myself. What size deck, how many blades, and what size motor does the 260 have?

I am a little concerned about having enough power to turn doubles (without damaging the machine).

Jim

yardboyltd
08-08-2002, 09:42 PM
My 260 has the 60" deck (3 spindles) and the 25hp kohler. Spins them fine. The striping is PHENOMENAL.

Here's a even closer view.

Jimbo
08-08-2002, 11:44 PM
Yardboy says . Took me 3 trys to get the throttle just right so it wouldn't die, but the results were INCREDIBLE.

Yardboy- This comment you made is why I was asking about the power issue.

Jim

hustlers
08-09-2002, 12:02 AM
how do you keep the doubles from misalignment
or straying from 90 degrees. are the blades welded or
does the torque hold them in place.
What would happen if you hit a tree stump hard?

Im trying to do it but need some Q's answered
thanks

Esby
08-09-2002, 12:17 AM
No need for any welds or brackets. All you need to do is bolt them on, one on top of the other in the pattern of an X or + (same thing) and tighten them up. If you hit something really hard, you may knock them out of the 90 degree position-but this happens rarely, unless you are constantly hitting large blunt objects(we hope not)..Just stop and re-align them. You will notice better striping, less double cutting, increased throw of the clippings, and more finely mulched clippings--to name a few of the positives. Give it a try, gator on top, and regular or hi-lift on the bottom(one combination that works well). Experiment with different combos for one that works best in your situations. You may experience some blow out in the front of the deck, and they will be alot noisier...just so you know what to expect.

TLS
08-09-2002, 11:13 AM
As for "What would happen if you hit a tree stump hard?" and "how do you keep the doubles from misalignment
or straying from 90 degrees."

It simply doesn't matter. As long as both blades are balanced, it doesn't matter where they are located in terms of balance. Cut quality may diminish when they are together, and it WILL sound different when they get knocked together. For the most part, they stay put!

As for POWER issues when engaging doubles with an electric clutch...... Half throttle ~ 2000 rpm's, and HALF CHOKE!!!! It richens the mixture and prevent it from stalling. Works like a charm. You'll get a little puff of black smoke when it starts to stumble, thats when you pull the PTO switch, then push the CHOKE knob back in and your all set!

NO MUSS....NO FUSS!!!

BTW, I cant STAND doubles in this dry weather!!! I get literally covered in chaff, buckhorn blossoms, spiddle bugs, and of course that all sticks very nicely when your already covered in sweat!!! Kinda like being tarred and feathered!

Runner
08-09-2002, 09:15 PM
O.k., it's time for a lesson!!! No, not on doubles! And, no, not for any of you, but for ME! Yardboy, I would love to know how you put the illustrations onto the photo like that. Is that some sort of CAD program, or what? VERY nice job!!!;) Any help would be gratefully accepted.:)

TLS
08-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Runner,

Most any graphics/picture software have this ability. Its usually called "TEXT". You simply put your cursor anywhere on the pic, type what you want in any color/font, then save the pic.

Thats all!

B&Slawncare
08-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Well I've tried jacks small engine and they do not have a gator for a 36" Exmark Metro. They also will not reply to my e-mails. Where can I find gators , on-line for my metro?

yardboyltd
08-11-2002, 03:03 AM
Yea TLS is right. I do have a few CAD programs though and could hmake a 3d illustration of douibles. :) I use Paint Shop Pro, I tinker alot with graphics, I'm making an animated graphic that will show how striping is done. However any graphics program will have that ability. I used the line tool to make the line and use text boxes to position text under it. :). I'm familiar with several graphics programs if you'd like me to walk you through.

Runner
08-12-2002, 12:28 PM
That is just too cool! I didn't know that before, and THANK YOU for the offer of assistance. I'll certainly keep that in mind!:)