PDA

View Full Version : Is Sept. 22 to early?

Don M.
08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
We do mass mailings that have done well for us. Last year was our first year in lighting and we did a handful of houses. This year we are wanting to get about 30-40 houses or so. Our next mailing goes out Sept 22, then we have another mailing that goes out Oct 22. Do you think its best to go ahead and run 2 holiday lighting ads or keep our pressure washing ad running in Sept then run a holiday lighting ad for the October run?

My gut says keep the pressure washing ad, and I will get enough interest out of the October ad to fulfill our 30-40 quota we are looking for. Keep in mind this mailing goes out to 100,000 homes.

turf hokie
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
It depends on the market your in, but generally, I would say that your guy is right. Leave September alone and change the ad in October, then try to run one mid November right before Thanksgiving when people are really thinking Christmas...Just my 2 cents.

David Gretzmier
08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
getting 30-40 new clients in your 2nd year is doable in large markets, , but in my market it took me 3 years to start getting 30 new ones, and about 6 years to hit 35-40 we still max out at about 40 customers a year, even though I am in year 10 here.

I think you are more likely to get more Christmas customers if you do more mailings about that. you will probably get a large rush of folks if you hit 3 mailing dates starting Oct 20, then do Nov 10, then Nov 25. Your phone will ring ALOT, but your close ratio will get lower the closer you are to thanksgiving ( probably starting at 30% and dropping to 10% by thanksgiving day ) and you will get a phenomenal number of low budget folks wanting you to hang thier wal-mart lights.

flipside tho- but you will probably get a few customers off a late sept mailing, and those folks will be serious customers that you can hang early. your phone won't ring much, but you will probably close over 50% of the folks that call. the same is slightly true of maybe an Oct 5 mailing. few more calls, slightly lower close ratio, maybe 40% .

funny enough, the close ratio starts going up Dec. 1, and that would be a good time for a late push for the late folks who have parties coming up. we close about 80% of bids from Dec 1-15th.

I always wish we had 15 grand socked away and it could only be spent on postcard advertising, and be forced to replace it as jobs come in just from postcards. I end up struggling to find funds to pay for advertising because I am always spending money on business building, transportation, food, personal shelter, travel, etc.