PDA

View Full Version : Dont mow for 4 weeks after aerating??

JohnnyRocker
08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
So today I get an email from one of my customers saying that his "chemical company" is going to aerate and seed, and that they told him to have me scalp the lawn(which my blades dont adjust that easily), and then after they aerate and seed, that I am not to mow for 4 weeks. What would you do?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Watch it die off for the rest of the year. ;) Do you want to keep the account?
If the answer was "YES" then do what they ask. Shoot we all dont know nothing we just ride around on mowers. LOL

Richard Martin
08-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Do as they ask as long as it's within reason. I'm not sure why you have to wait 4 weeks though. One really good watering or rain is usually enough to make the seed stick. You may also want to mention something about a surcharge if the grass is unreasonably tall.

nepatsfan
08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
You shouldnt really have to wait that long. We do two weeks. You should offer aertating then you dont have to worry. Tell them you can wait but you have to charge them 2-3 times the normal price for a cut. Its going to take you much longer especially with the new grass germinating.
*edit* What he said^^^ beat me to it.

bc3xx0
08-31-2010, 02:49 AM
I'd throw an absolute fit. I'd confront the customer face to face in his yard. I'd use lines like "I mow grass, I know more about it than anyone." and "the people areating are idiots. Grass needs mowed every week no matter how short I scalp it." The louder you get the better the chance you get your point across. Oh, and don't let them look away. If they start to, demand that they look you in the eye. They f'ed up, not you. Make sure they know that.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
08-31-2010, 02:56 AM
I'd throw an absolute fit. I'd confront the customer face to face in his yard. I'd use lines like "I mow grass, I know more about it than anyone." and "the people areating are idiots. Grass needs mowed every week no matter how short I scalp it." The louder you get the better the chance you get your point across. Oh, and don't let them look away. If they start to, demand that they look you in the eye. They f'ed up, not you. Make sure they know that.

LMFAO!!!!Hilarious

BrunoT
09-03-2010, 02:01 PM
It's not their fault you have a fixed deck mower, really. You should mow low, however "scalping" would be extreme. If the turf there is desireable mow it at the lowest acceptable level. If you have to adjust your axle and blade spacers to do so, bite the bullet. It's part of the biz. Mowing low before seeding helps in many ways, only one of which is to allow the seedlings to compete before the existing grass zooms up and shades it out.

4 weeks might be too long, but it should not be mowed till the seedlings are at the height you'd normally mow. Here with Fescue it seems to take about 3 weeks if it's watered. It could vary with temps, water, and variety of grass.

Charge them for the extra time needed to mow low, if any, and for having to mow the seedlings if they're too tall or it requires a smaller mower.

Do not put a big heavy machine on seedlings on slopes or when it's wet. Basically do not harm the new grass or they'll fire you.

Jason Rose
09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
4 weeks is to long, IMO. Unless there's really no existing turf there to start with. Offer to cut with a 21" after 2 weeks. That would still be better than waiting 4 and having to bail it.
Posted via Mobile Device