PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wild bambu!!!

honslawn
08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Have a client that a fence line full of bambu. Its about 120' long and 3 to 6' thick. Is there something that I can spray on it or any other tricks to get rid of this stuff. This is my first time dealing with bambu and I need to give her a bid. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Honslawn

bradseabridge
08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
damn, I feel bad for you that they let it get that bad.

honslawn
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Yah, that's why we're in the business, though! We fix what they can't!

Johnny test
08-30-2010, 07:14 PM
A trimmer with a saw blade.?... Is it real Bamboo or the Bamboo grass or Nandina? What diameter? You could dig some up and resell it.... Here everyone likes it to use as a screen but no one sells it.. So it's a hot item..

underPSI
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
You mean to tell me that people actually plant the stuff? Bamboo is like Kudzu and is darn near impossible to eradicate.

greendoctor
08-31-2010, 02:33 AM
If the bamboo is not growing anywhere near the dripline or root zone of desirable trees and plants, there is a way to control it chemically with one or two applications. If it is, I suggest cutting it down, allowing it to regrow green leaves, then applying RoundUp. Disregard everything I have said if you are not licensed to apply pesticides commercially.

tallrick
08-31-2010, 03:01 AM
I like the stuff, even planted it in my own yard but it has not grown thick, just pops up where it wants. A skid steer and root grapple gets rid of the small to medium stuff. You will take a lot longer getting rid of the monster bamboo unless you get a dozer. I got rid of a patch of it as a favor a couple of years back and it never returned.

Southern Elegance
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
dont do this job

RussellB
08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
If you have the area to let them fall...............get a pick, stand next to the trunk and swing the pick so that it digs 3-4"s deep and pry up to pop the roots. Do this on at least two side and the bamboo will fall. It is rather easy. Once you have the growth down you can spray to get rid of the rest of it. Good luck and try to find somebody that can use the bamboo. (If your not talking about Bamboo.......disregard this post).

StBalor
08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
I like the stuff, even planted it in my own yard but it has not grown thick, just pops up where it wants. A skid steer and root grapple gets rid of the small to medium stuff. You will take a lot longer getting rid of the monster bamboo unless you get a dozer. I got rid of a patch of it as a favor a couple of years back and it never returned.

I agree with this, You will need to dig up all the roots to get rid of it and dig deep to get them all.

bradseabridge
08-31-2010, 11:03 PM
I wouldnt do the job and if I did I would quote something ridiculous to where if i did get the job I'm making like 400% profit.

Think Green
09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Bamboo produces stolons and spreads like wildfire. I don't care what you spray on it.....at this stage of growth and depth of maturity............it will not kill this stuff.
You will need to excavate the area completely........I mean take the soil down 14-16 inches and remove everything. Then level the area back out with more soil. If you even leave a smidgeon of root, the bamboo will come back but slowly and eventually the cycle starts over.
You need to let this customer know that this problem is temporary and is not going to go away easily. There is no permanent fix.

Sorry, If someone else thinks otherwise, then I will stand my ground.

honslawn
09-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I appreciate all the information you all have shared. I did talk to the customer yesterday and warned her that it is not going to be a quick easy fix. She must have done her homework cause she knows that if she doesn't spend the money to have it excavated now, she(or I'll) be dealing with this stuff for a while. I didn't want to scare her too bad, but did make it clear that which ever way we go, its going to be costly.

Thanks Again!

Honslawn

By Us Company
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Trying to get rid of this is a waste of time. If the client wants to spend the money and you are licensed I would plan on spraying it multiple times throughout the year. I would never make any promises with the Client and let them know spraying it will not be a permanent fix. You will be lucky to get rid of it even if you excavate the area and backfill with new soil.

Rtom45
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
We have had some success cutting bamboo down to 3 -4 inch stubs and then painting the freshly cut stubs with glyphosate. You will have to do this at least yearly for several years. You will not eliminate the bamboo entirely, but you will see it greatly reduced.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I would use my chainsaw to chop it all down, then spray it a few times and go from there. I cut bamboo down 1-3 times per year. Don't be fooled on cleanup time if you cut it down. What I always do is lay two or three two straps on the ground and throw it ontop of those. Then when I'm done I tie it up and use the straps as a sling to carry it to the trailer. Very heavy stuff so be prepared if you cut it.