PDA

View Full Version : Thumb control Ferris WB

FerrisDJB
08-31-2010, 01:53 AM
I've got a DD 52 Ferris WB 2007 model. I was wondering if anyone has tried to reto fit the new thumb controls that appear on present Ferris Comfort Control DD WalkBehinds to the old Dual Drive Ferris walkbehinds. I sort of need or would like these controls to aid in climbing very steep hils, straight up. Most of the time I really have to push the joy stick fairly far forward and then push down on the control handles to get her to move up the hill. I was hoping these thumb controls would help in easing into hills. Soooo....anybody retro-fit these thumb controls to older Ferris's?

FerrisDJB
09-03-2010, 02:46 AM
take this back to the top

pugs
09-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Sounds like something is wrong with your controls. You should just set your speed and then let the handles out. If it doesnt go forward you have other issues. You shouldnt have to be pushing the handles to go forward.

cgaengineer
09-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I demoed a Ferris with the thumb controls and couldn't see how anyone would like them.
Posted via Mobile Device

FerrisDJB
09-04-2010, 01:57 AM
So has anyone tried to retro fit these thumb contolrs on the older DualDrive Ferris walkbehinds? Thumb controls are like anyother system, works for some and not for others.

M & MD Lawn
09-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I bought this 36inch ferris and HATE thew controls now, my thumbs start hurting and mess, but i'm keeping it because dad seems to love it, rare he likes the mowers so i keep it seeing how he mows when i go off to school, im also thinking it will be good for leaf season

Shasta Lake Landscaping
09-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Sounds like something is wrong with your controls. You should just set your speed and then let the handles out. If it doesnt go forward you have other issues. You shouldnt have to be pushing the handles to go forward.

Listen to what he said. Your tranny belt might be slipping. How many hrs on this machine? How knowledgeable are you about maintaining it properly?

Me and my diddy- that is a single hydro drive, not dual drive. When adjusted and maintained properly both are effortless and enjoyable to operate.

FerrisDJB
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
First off, "Shasta" is correct about "ME and My Diddy's Ferris" that is a single and yes when adjusted properly they are great to work with. My DualDrive 52", it could be that the trans belt is out of adjustment. I have driven the new ComfortControl 52" and they do take time getting used to, but far better set-up than my current DDS 52" with the cruise control stick that operates both hydros and no bypass. The new ComfortControl allows for independent operation of left/right hydro with palms of hands going forward and turning as opposed to older DDS that only allow for independent turning . Hard to explain, you'l have to drive one to understand what I mean. It is that independence I'm trying to retro-fit to my DDS 52. After further examination this past weekend I don't think it can be done. The cruise control bar(rod) at base of engine is the hang up......anybody? Thanks for any help offered

M & MD Lawn
09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
so adjust how?????, i would love to love to use this machine lol

Krafty
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
First off, "Shasta" is correct about "ME and My Diddy's Ferris" that is a single and yes when adjusted properly they are great to work with. My DualDrive 52", it could be that the trans belt is out of adjustment. I have driven the new ComfortControl 52" and they do take time getting used to, but far better set-up than my current DDS 52" with the cruise control stick that operates both hydros and no bypass. The new ComfortControl allows for independent operation of left/right hydro with palms of hands going forward and turning as opposed to older DDS that only allow for independent turning . Hard to explain, you'l have to drive one to understand what I mean. It is that independence I'm trying to retro-fit to my DDS 52. After further examination this past weekend I don't think it can be done. The cruise control bar(rod) at base of engine is the hang up......anybody? Thanks for any help offered

I understand what you are saying. My guys say the same thing. A few of my mowers are the new style and a few are the older. What my guys do is just push donw on the steering controls or push them backwards so to say. The only time they really ever do this is on steep hills. I don't think the controls are interchangable tho on different body styles.

pugs
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Any dual hydro is capable of operating each side independently....so not really sure what you want to do that you cannot with your dual drive but honestly the newest dual drive can be operated exactly the same as the oldest one I have ever seen. They all have pistol grips...let out to go forward, pull in to go back. If yours isnt going forward you have other issues.

FerrisDJB
09-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm sure all hydros are capable of independant operation, but not all manufacturers build their machines to allow that function. Ferris DDS controls do not allow for independent operation as their new counterpart machines do. DDS machines do not allow for independent forward motion as do their newer counterparts. This is what "Krafty" and myself are talking about. On very steep hills you will find DDS machines tend to hesitate or flatout stall, until you push down on the control handle to give them a boost , so to speak. The new design allows one self to gently roll into the left, right or both hydros when going up very steep hills. So with all of that, I'm trying to figure out if I can retro-fit the newer, "Thumb controls" to my olde DDS. I mow on very steep hills and I've tested the Comfort Control Ferris's and that's exactly what they do, roll into throttle, independently. So my question still remains, "are the newer ferris controls capable of reto-fit onto older DDS Ferris walkers" Has anyone done this? As stated in aprevious post, " I believe the hang-up is the rod uder the back of machine that controls the cruise control, steering and back-up funtion. I believe there is a " stop point " on that rod that will not allow for independent operations for DDS units. Thanks for the help, I really do need to retro-this older DDS unit.

pugs
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
DDS machines do not allow for independent forward motion as do their newer counterparts

And I am saying that this is flat out wrong and something is wrong with your machine if it will not go up a hill.

FerrisDJB
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Hard to explain but my DDS will go forward, and will climb a hill. However at first attempt to climb, VERY STEEP hills, it will hesitate, until I nudge the control levers down abit with my fingertips( which is the same as moving the cruise control stick forward since, they are all connected, for forward motion )My reason for retro-fitting the thumb controls that the Comfort Control DDS units use, is it would be easier to hold on to the machine while the palms of your hands roll down ontop of these levers providing forward motion. See post #10 as he has had the same experience. Older DDS units, if you push down on either left or right control lever, the opposite one will move with it, they move as one. The new ones do operate, independently, in this regard and thats the function I would like to add to my older DDS, if possible.