PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Rental ???

ScottH
08-07-2002, 07:07 AM
As many of you know, I'm a dealer for both Excel Hustler and Dixie Chopper.

I am considering setting up a rental division primarily geared toward commercial cutting operations.

My questions are:

Do you rent mowers or other equipment to fill in during heavy growth periods or for specific jobs? What type mowers would you recommend - engine size, type, deck size not brand name.

What price range is reasonable from your point of view? Would you prefer daily, weekly, monthly rates?

What equipment other than mowers would you find useful to rent vs purchase? ie aerators etc?

Comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated particularly from Western PA members

THanks for your input. Happy cutting

scott's turf
08-07-2002, 07:30 AM
I personally have never needed to rent amower but I could see applications that this may be nice. Aerators I rent a couple times a year. No point in me buying one to use 2 days a year. It usually cost me around $65/day and I make around $800-$1000 on it.

Alan Bechard
08-07-2002, 07:58 AM
We rent the mini-backhoes and skidsteers on occasion. We have also tried to rent a small tractor with bushhog several times but there is only one in town and it is usually rented when we need it. I wish more folks had like a 25-30 horse tractor with several attatchments to rent.

I was looking at new ones yesterday and the 15 to 18K price will keep me at bay for a while.

Al B

bubble boy
08-07-2002, 10:26 AM
i also do the aerator rental thing.

i think it could be a good idea. i've got 3 props that could use a z, if i got say 4,5 or 6 more i'd love to rent one for a day. just price the props to include rental.

one day just isn't enough to justify purchasing a z.

also would be good for breakdowns.

daily & weekly rates definately good, i'm not so sure about monthly. myself, i can't see a need but perhaps for others.

other items i'd see a need for-chainsaws, trimmers (esp. with attatchments), tillers

and depending on how big you'd like to go-snowplow trucks. i would have paid big $ when i lost a tranny 5 hours into a huge storm a couple of years back.

Mykster
08-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Bed Edger would be nice to have available. Nobody around here rents them. I asked the guy at the rental store if they rent bed edgers by Brown. He said sure. He comes out with a Power Trim wb edger.

gvandora
08-07-2002, 06:50 PM
I think for break downs it would be helpful. It would be nice to be able to rent a mower if mine were to go down. It prevents me from having to hang on to an older crappy mower as a backup. I could just go rent something apples for apples or atleast granny smith (jd) for red delicious (exmark). :D

beck
08-07-2002, 06:50 PM
One of the companies near me had a contract to cut a school, and he would rent a ZTR for that day. I am not sure how long he rented it for but if I remember correctly it rents for $75 for a half day and $135/ day. If he only rented it for a 1/2 day four times a month he would be paying $300. Why not just by the thing and have it all the time, the payments should be pretty comparable.

I used to rent a Stihl chop saw for around $50 for every retaining wall we built. on occasion we would need to rent if a second day.
So i decided to buy it for $900 + $200 for the diamond wheel.

My dealer gives loaners for the first 2 yrs after purchasing a mower if he cant have your mower fixed within 4 hrs.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-07-2002, 09:17 PM
I have a guy that I rent from. We rent thachers, chain saws, Bobcats, and ground blowers. I've been in this biz for a long time and realize that down time can kill you. Not all the time can your local dealer fix it when you need it.
We rent mostly ground blowers in December. We do tons of clean ups than and the day lights short. I reccomend renting with daily, weekly and monthly rates. Good luck. Travis

Heller Landscaping
08-07-2002, 09:56 PM
Hey that is a good idea. I am from Apollo. I have not seen you, do you have a name on your truck. I was thinking maby you could rent with the opt. to buy. Would be just like selling and making interest and some more. What is your phone number.

Albemarle Lawn
08-07-2002, 10:40 PM
If somebody rents a mower they will push it hard. You can expect bent blades and shattered spindes, plus the occasional call to come fish it out of a swampy area after it slid down hill.

I think there is a reason they are not rented. Probably the same reason you can't rent a Mustang GT.

Sure, it would be nice to be able to rent a mower. But from a business standpoint you will probably break even at best.

Just my $.02

ScottH
08-08-2002, 07:25 AM
Heller Landscaping - and any one else

Contact info:

Scott Hacker, Saxon Turf Equip
299 Greensburg Rd
Lower Burrell PA 15068

Phone 724-339-7790 Fax 724-337-1115

Cell 724-321-8489

www.saxonturf.com ; kwolfe@telerama.com

After further info from our insurance guy,
Rental will be to professional/commercial people only.

Still exploring the damages issue. major damage, like dropped off a cliff or truck can be covered by insurance via renters commercial policy or purchased through rental . minor damage like bent blades small dings should be paid by renter i would think.

Some other ideas offered by non lawnsite members include:

4-5 yd top dresser; deep tine aerator; large capacity bark/mulch blowers

Thanks everyone for the advice so far,
any other comments/ advice is welcomed