PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my Burning Bush.?

jonspolaris
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Any help with what might be wrong with this Bruning Bush? Its planted in soil that has organic and sand, well draning. Southern exposure. There are 14 other burning bushes right next to it that are doing well.
It has gotten even more brown on the same side sence the picture was taken. It has been well watered.

grassman177
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
pics are never clear enough like being there to inspect, but that damage looks similar to spider mite damage, do a white paper test and hold it under the branches and shake, see what falls out(keep in mind that the mites are very tiny so look close). that is where i would start.

Smallaxe
09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Check the base of the plant and see that the root crown is ok and the stems leading up to the burned leaves. Could also be heat stroke from the wall and rocks, so be sure the water is getting to ALL the roots. :)

jonspolaris
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Here is a picture from today.As you can see its seems to be spreading. I have looked really close and dont find any evidence of spider mites. It has been a hot summer. All the rest of the burning bushes are all established and doing well, except this one.
Do they require a lot of water to get it established?

ICT Bill
09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Here is a picture from today.As you can see its seems to be spreading. I have looked really close and dont find any evidence of spider mites. It has been a hot summer. All the rest of the burning bushes are all established and doing well, except this one.
Do they require a lot of water to get it established?

Thay are considered an invasive in most states, but they are there so lets see if we can fix it

you did not answer the question whether the crown of the plant was covered with mulch you could have a crown rot issue, it looks fungal to me but it could be anything, hard to tell from the picture

does that part of the plant get wet from irrigation, if it does make sure you only water the soil and not the plant it will spread any fungal disease by keeping the area wet

Has it really hot there was another question, has the sun moved into that area as the season is changing. it could be burn from the hot siding

jonspolaris
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Thecrown is not covered with anything. I was just planted in the ground. It was covered with landscape fabric and stones, but that was pushed away.
Yes its been hot, and its gets full southern exposure.

It doesent get much water from irrigation. I check it in the moring and the leaves are all dry. When I water it, I deep soak it on the soil only.

Sometimes the brown tips of the shrub are dry and brittle, but not always brittle. Its like its to dry, yet the soil is anything but dry.

Think Green
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Jons,
?

Wait--you said just planted??? Then too hot and not enough water since the root system hasn't developed yet and penetrated deep enough to sustain sub surface water!!! Wind burn or drought burned foliage.

jonspolaris
09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes it was planted about a month ago. The rest of the bushes were planted several years ago.

Its hard to believe it hasent gotten enough water, as I have deep soaked it everyday to get it established. The soil is moist as far as you can feel down. Yet some of the tips of the leaves are brittle and break off. Its like its too dry, but its not.

Think Green
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Jons,
Then I hope the bucket syndrome hasn't occurred. Hard soil surrounding the hole and the backfill stays saturated. Wet feet disease and slow death from root rot!
Don't get me wrong..................just hypothesizing.

grassman177
09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
tha sounds more like it now that i get the whole picture

jonspolaris
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
The soil that I used to backfill is not hard. Its a mix of sand and organic matter. Well draining. Its the same soil thats around the other 14 burning bushes, and they are thriving.

Smallaxe
09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
What was the weather like a month ago when planted. 'Transplant shock', in this heat isn't easily overcome with a bunch of water. It will be fine next spring, if nothing else goes wrong.

jonspolaris
09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Its actually been warm all summer.

Smallaxe
09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Its actually been warm all summer.

Here too. I put off planting anything, until a few weeks ago, and that was an area mostly shade and water every day. Afternoon sun, however. We will now resume our normal planting time. Clients who want to plant in the dead of summer, find someone else, then they watch them die. :)

ICT Bill
09-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Kelp will help with transplant stress and heat and would be good to add to your watering can

this is what happens this time of year with trees and shrubs in nurseries that have been watered too much, they need a little food to make it through the stress

jonspolaris
09-02-2010, 12:27 PM
So should I fertalize the shrub more? a liquid based feralizer?

Smallaxe
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Adding N to northern shrubs just b4 dormancy, could create a problem. Find out why kelp is good.

BCLawns
09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
burning bush looks burnt to me.

Coffeecraver
09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
This looks like it is burnt and it looks like it is drying out.
When a plant is sitting in water it can't take it in.
The symptoms are the same for not enough water as they are for too much.
The tips start drying first.Dig it up see if there is water in the hole.
If it is then replant in another location.If it is too dry then post a photo of the root system. It most likely would be in the same shape as the pot you pulled it out of.

jonspolaris
09-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok so I looked at the bush today. Its getting worse. More brown on the leaves. The tips of the light brown leafs are stiff and curled over. This makes it sound like its bone dry, but its not. I checked the soil and its well draining. I have been giving it a good drink every day and the soil is not saturated nor is there any standing water.