PDA

View Full Version : fast trak sd vs. z4

kilgoja
09-01-2010, 12:34 AM
what is the major differences between the two?...i notice bigger rear tires on the z4 and electric fans under the seat.....but the cost is way more...like $1500 more at my local dealer...just wondered why and what am i missing...i don't see why it would cost so much more..is there something different in the hydro motors/pumps?

mowerconsultant
09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
The major difference is the drive systems.
The Z4 uses 2 pumps and 2 wheel motors.
The SD uses 2 integrated hydro's, Hydro Gear ZT3100's.
Difference being the Z4 is a full commercial use mower.

Pj

kilgoja
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
ok i'm not familiar with drive systems as i've never purchased a commercial mower before (although i have used some of them in the past)...this would be my first commercial type mower that i buy...(i'm used to regular residential ztr mowers)...I'm starting a lawn care business and it says the SD is fit for commercial use and a lawn care business...so i guess what i'm asking is it ok to go with the SD or would the Z4 be a better choice...or what would be the pro's and con's of each in a real world application...if either is fit for commercial duty then what would be the reason to spend the extra $1500 for the z4?

mike haynes
09-01-2010, 08:06 PM
spend the extra money,it's well worth it.

i am very happy with the z4.:cool2:

mowerconsultant
09-03-2010, 03:18 PM
ok i'm not familiar with drive systems as i've never purchased a commercial mower before (although i have used some of them in the past)...this would be my first commercial type mower that i buy...(i'm used to regular residential ztr mowers)...I'm starting a lawn care business and it says the SD is fit for commercial use and a lawn care business...so i guess what i'm asking is it ok to go with the SD or would the Z4 be a better choice...or what would be the pro's and con's of each in a real world application...if either is fit for commercial duty then what would be the reason to spend the extra $1500 for the z4?

If your doing hills, slopes etc.. bagging or going to run the mower 8 hours a day 5 days a week then I would go with the Z4, its pumps and wheel motors are better suited for this.
If your doing a few lawns a day and not bagging or doing to steep of hills then the Super Duty is good.

Pj

kilgoja
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
yeah i will be working alone so i figure the most i'll be doing is 4-5 residential yards a day on relatively flat land...nothing too steep..maybe slight slopes here or there....i will not be bagging but i do plan to run the mower 6-8hrs a day 4-5 days a week eventually....but most if not all of what i'll be doing is residential yards from 1/2 acre to 1acre in size...maybe the occasional 1 1/2 acre yard...it's not like i will be out there cutting with a big crew doing 10+ yards a day or anything...so you think the SD would hold up fine in my situation?

mowerconsultant
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM
yeah i will be working alone so i figure the most i'll be doing is 4-5 residential yards a day on relatively flat land...nothing too steep..maybe slight slopes here or there....i will not be bagging but i do plan to run the mower 6-8hrs a day 4-5 days a week eventually....but most if not all of what i'll be doing is residential yards from 1/2 acre to 1acre in size...maybe the occasional 1 1/2 acre yard...it's not like i will be out there cutting with a big crew doing 10+ yards a day or anything...so you think the SD would hold up fine in my situation?

If you have it in your budget to go to the Z4 then I would get it, the SD should do it fine, but I would feel more comfortable with the Z4.

Pj

kilgoja
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
ok i guess my biggest concern is the pumps going out or something on the z4.....which drive system will last the longest without failing?...if the integrated system on the SD is metal gears i don't see how that could break...lol...i don't really know much about pump/motor systems...i just heard they go out sometimes...maybe the integrated system does too....i did notice the pump systems require alot more maintenance than the integrated system (fluid change more often)....maybe you could help clear this up for me

mowerconsultant
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
ok i guess my biggest concern is the pumps going out or something on the z4.....which drive system will last the longest without failing?...if the integrated system on the SD is metal gears i don't see how that could break...lol...i don't really know much about pump/motor systems...i just heard they go out sometimes...maybe the integrated system does too....i did notice the pump systems require alot more maintenance than the integrated system (fluid change more often)....maybe you could help clear this up for me

The better drive system is the Z4 system, 2 pumps and 2 wheel motors.
Maintenance...
SD hydro maintenance is as follows..
Change filter and oil (20W-50 motor oil), the first 75 hours or one year, whichever occurs first, then every 200 hours or two years whichever occurs first.
Z4 hydro maintenance is as follows...
Change hydraulic system filter element after first 50 hours of
tractor operation, then replace filter and oil in reservoir every
500 hours thereafter

kilgoja
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
haha ok i must have read that wrong on the website...i thought it said change the oil and filter on the z4 every 50 hrs....every 500hrs sounds alot better lol