PDA

View Full Version : Do you go or do you stay?

Toatlandscape
08-07-2002, 11:18 AM
OK you wake up about 6. You can hear thunder in the distance. You have 12 lawns scheduled. News and radar says "scattered showers". What do you do? Well here is what I did watched news for a while , determined they are idiots. Loaded truck and trailer and thought "give it a shot how bad can it be" Well scattered showers seems to be code for torential downpour. I did manage to get one done while it was taking time to reload. Oh well tommorrow is another day. I usually work through rain when I am already out there but I probably shouldn't have gone out at all. What would you do?:dizzy:

awm
08-07-2002, 03:18 PM
i wouldtry to get in all i could. until it thundered. them im gonna wait a while.

TOSLC
08-07-2002, 03:21 PM
I'll mow in the rain, but never the lightning!:dizzy:

Dennis E.
08-07-2002, 05:25 PM
We saw the same front coming in this A.M. I bet.
First stop and 30 seconds out of the truck and it was pouring!
I kept going until around 1 P.M and then it turned black. I quit.
Very nasty group of storm cells and it was almost 3 when I got going again.
What has it been since May? Maybe 5 nice days total?

Turf Technologies
08-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Funny, we didnt get a thing on the wast coast. Lawns are drying up too.

sheppard
08-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Always a bummer! If I stay in inevitabley rain will never hit my neighborhood- the wife looks at me like I'm a lazy loafer.

Pull out and take a chance? It usually brings the rain after I've driven a ways to gert to my first lawn.

Since I schedule all my accounts logistically, one account rained out means all the ones in the area are too.

My big fear is that if I go ahead and mow I'll put deep ruts in the account and they'll come out, see it, and fire me on the spot!

Cordially,
Sheppard

KenH
08-07-2002, 06:26 PM
We use weather.com. I think its run by the waether channel and gives you a moving doppler map where you can tell pretty much where the storm is and where it is going. Its really accurate and up to the minute. You just need to enter your zip.

Fantasy Lawns
08-07-2002, 06:26 PM
we got the same rain from about 1-2:30 (steady rain ...bout 1/2 hr of down pour) lite drizze from 10-12 & 3-4 ....on/off..... got all the work done

I was in the another truck today with 2 of my other guys (mine's got a water pump today) n my rain gear's in my truck ....so it was soak city

we did hang out in a doorway while the thunder n lighten passed .... I love summers like this .... either super heat with lots wet or rain with lots of wet ..... picked up lot of work this summer from late mowings ....so keep em up on their weekly cuts

mdb landscaping
08-07-2002, 06:31 PM
I usually check the radar, and i pretty much know how much time i have from looking at the radar. If its thundering in the distance ill start one more if its smaller, but if there is lightning around, i wont mow.

KerryB
08-07-2002, 07:22 PM
As long as the rain is light and there isnt any thunder I work on. As soon as I see those streaks of electricity in the sky I am outa there.

ProMo
08-07-2002, 07:55 PM
i got stuck in the same mess and went through it yesterday my truck dumped a quart or two of trans fluid so I had to head home after first two jobs to get it fixed so didnt have much choice. Started to blow my first one today and my blower wasnt moving the wet grass so i sent my wife out to get me shindiawa blower that iis on sale wow wet grass no problem now if i omly had a rainsuit

AielLandscaping
08-07-2002, 08:10 PM
man i can't say this any differently... it sucks to be you guys that have to mow in the rain. i've only ever had a mower running in the rain two or three times in four years and that's because it caught me while i was in the middle of a "big" postage stamp.

ProMo
08-07-2002, 08:14 PM
I mowed in the eye of a small hurricane that went through a few years ago wife thought i was nuts but they got done

Just Cut
08-07-2002, 08:30 PM
try www.accuweather.com they have been accurate about 90% of the time

fastlane
08-07-2002, 08:36 PM
I stopped checking the weather years ago. If it's not raining I head to first job. If it rains hard I go home.

Sammy
08-07-2002, 10:52 PM
98% of the time, I do what fastlane does.

The weather man never seems to have it right ! :rolleyes:

Fantasy Lawns
08-07-2002, 11:08 PM
hey Promo ... that was like when Floyd came our way in Sept 99 .... I still remember cutting on Mon (we finished).... they were evacuating the county Tues. expecting landfall on late Wen or Thurs ….thank god he hit about 40 miles S …other wise a nightmare

thfireman
08-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Can someone PLEASE tell me what this thing called "RAIN" is? I only ask because I have not seen this stuff here in the New Death Valley called Charlotte, NC! Send some to us so we can see green instead of brown. This is the worst drought here since the 1950's.:cry:

randosh4
08-07-2002, 11:33 PM
rain is only water you wont melt .i mow rain or shine here in canada

m&m
08-08-2002, 01:27 AM
i mow rain or shine, but it depends on how hard its raining too.....but i also try to be smart enuf that if it is too wet where it will rut, i wait a lil while........have even mowed in middle of lightening storm.......not smart but it was my last yard of the day.....i wasnt about to go home until i was done that day

Runner
08-08-2002, 09:58 AM
If they call for scattered showers, you can rest assured, they will be scattered wherever I go! If I hear thunder, I know what that's caused from, and no, I won't go out. There is something about being out in the middle of an open field or under a tree on an steel electronic ignition machine when there is that much electricity in the air, and conditions are right to get barbequed that just doesn't appeal to me.:dizzy:

Expert Lawns
08-08-2002, 02:37 PM
i've learned that you can't trust the weatherman. he says rain. we get no rain. scattered showers usually seem to follow me around.

i'll mow if its not too wet or hasn't been raining too long. unless i have a lawn that has many slopes to turn on, then i skip it. not worth tearing it up

rkbrown
08-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Runner
There is something about being out in the middle of an open field or under a tree on an steel electronic ignition machine when there is that much electricity in the air, and conditions are right to get barbequed that just doesn't appeal to me.:dizzy:

Runner:

I agree. However, I'm sure you do know the safest place to be during a lightning storm...out in the middle of a field or fairway holding a particular golf club straight up in the air. Remember, not even God can hit a 1-iron. :D

TurfGuyTX
08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
With all of the technology out there, keeping up with local weather shouldn't be very difficult. We'll cut in the rain, no lightning. Not any prize lawns though. Unless the rain is really close, I make a run at it.

eslawns
08-08-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by lawndoctor
As long as the rain is light and there isnt any thunder I work on. As soon as I see those streaks of electricity in the sky I am outa there.

Me too. I won't even finish where I am. But I won't cut across my stripes :D getting back to the trailer.

Shady Brook
08-08-2002, 09:38 PM
I'm with the Fireman, my great grand pappy told me about "this rain" phenomenon. I almost remember it as a child, but I must have been dreaming.

I would love for the opportunity to mow in the rain, even though I loath mowing wet grass. Mowing slime still pays more then looking at dirt, so let it rain baby!

Jay