PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on parking lot cleanup

Cut 2 Please
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
I got a commercial property yesterday that has a large parking lot that I have to blow off every week. I used my PB260L to do it last night but quickly realized that my blower is a wimp. I went through 2 tanks of gas on that thing before I was finished. Way to long to complete the job. I am picking up a new PB650 this evening.
Now for my questions:
1) Will the PB 650 be enough?
2) Do I need to invest in a push blower ie. Little Wonder?
3) Would a Billy Goat walk behind vacume do better?
4) Is there a better way that I havn't thought of?
I really need some insight on this. I know there has to be a better way.
My Ferris dealer said there is an attachment that I can install on the front of my 3000 to make it push the Little Wonder or any other wb blower. That sounded neet to me. Is anyone using something similar.
I also saw the new sweeper unit for a Walker. It is sharp and does a good job but I believe they said the price was $2800. I'd have to do alot of parking lots to justify that. Especially since I would have to by the Walker also.

MPhillips
08-07-2002, 02:41 PM
two tanks of gas! holy cow. On a windy day this sounds so large it'll be like herding cats. I'd think about dragging a rolling blower behind my skag...or depending on how large this is , I'd think about subbing out a sweeper to come by once a month, and put trash cans in the lot to keep trash levels down.

KLMlawn
08-07-2002, 03:08 PM
I think you would be much better off with either the Echo PB650 or even a Shindiawa BP630, but if the lot is as big as it seems, you probably would be best off with a Ground blower, which you could also use for cleanups ... I personally have A Billy Goat QuietBlow with the 10 hp Intek, does well for me for what I need and I think it ran me about $750-$800 last fall.

turfquip
08-07-2002, 03:34 PM
I'd say get the Ferris attachment and a suitable wheeled blower.

dfor
08-07-2002, 05:21 PM
I agree with getting a push blower. 8 hp minimum. It will make a huge difference.

RMDoyon
08-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Cut 2 Please

I also saw the new sweeper unit for a Walker. It is sharp and does a good job but I believe they said the price was $2800. I'd have to do alot of parking lots to justify that. Especially since I would have to by the Walker also.

Where did you see this unit?
Can you share some of the details?

Roger

Cut 2 Please
08-07-2002, 05:43 PM
I saw it at the local dealer. It is available through Walker. It is made in Hungary. It has a side brush on the right side for curbs. The rest of it looks a little bit like the deck. The deck has to be removed for this attachment to work. Looks neet. Check with your local dealer.

joed
08-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Cut2,

From what you are describing, the parking lot seems rather big. The Echo PB650 would definitely be an improvement. I have one and it is quite a powerful unit. However, from what you are describing, it sounds like you need a ground blower. You can pick up either a Little Wonder or Billy Goat. Both are excellent with the Billy Goat being a little lighter and having a neat hand controlled air flow spout. It can also use these blowers during fall and spring clean ups. When your dealer talks about getting your Scag to push the blower, he may be refering to a blower buggy which I believe is made by JRCO. Check it out at their website
www.jrcoinc.com (http://www.jrcoinc.com)

Good luck

ipm
08-07-2002, 06:40 PM
You need to invest in a push blower.
I recomend"Little Wonder" i have used Billy Goat, and Giant Vac blowers. Nothing compares to the Little Wonder blowers. We use the 9hp Honda

ProMo
08-07-2002, 06:50 PM
how much do these parking lots pay I have 2 office bldgs i mow and they have a sweeper guy that comes out once a week and the same piles of leaves have been in the parking lot from last year I was thinking about trying to get this service

ipm
08-07-2002, 07:15 PM
You know I have entertained thoughts of that before. Because sometimes it is a battle between the landscaper and the sweeper. If you controlled all of it there would be no ?s. Maint. is high on the sweeper trucks, It is a 3rd shift kinda thing. But hey the sky is the limit.

agrostis palustris
08-07-2002, 07:38 PM
I wait for my commercials to close up at night and then head back with a Shindiawa back pack blower and a 9hp push blower. Get done in about 1/2 an hour or less. If you got a big open lot it should go really fast with a push blower.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-07-2002, 08:44 PM
I do some parking lots at some bars that we cut. One guy blows the parking lot with a Red max back pack while another guy cuts and trims. Its hard for us to use a ground blower on these places because cars come in and out like a bee hive. A ground blower is best for lots if you can do it on an off day.(Sunday) But if you do it on a weekly basis its a 1-2-3 thing. We have to do our lots on the days when we cut in those areas. You just have to blow every thing to the back of the lot than pick it up. If you blow it out to the front into the street (like some guys do) your bound to pis someone off. Good luck travis

Cut 2 Please
08-08-2002, 11:29 AM
I bought the PB 650 back pack blower last night and I could not believe the diferance. I thought one back pack blower was as good as another and there was a little differance in the bigger ones but not that much. This thing is incredible. My PB 260L is now for sale. When it sells I will purchase either a WB blower or WB vac. With the power of my 650 I am leaning more towards the WB vac.

HLC
08-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Hey Charles,
What do you want for the 260? What kind of shape is it in etc? I have a buddy who is looking for a blower.....Joe