PDA

View Full Version : Grass seed type question

SHOF
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I recently received a 50 lb bag of Scott's Professional turf seed. It is a variety of all Bluegrass. I made mention to a friend who is a turf science major that I wanted to buy Fescue and mix it. He said that I should not do that, but I never got an answer why. I would like more fescue in my yard because it lays down nicer and grows in faster. Anyone have any idea why I should not mix them?

Thanks in advance.

Southern Elegance
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
the turf type fescue that we use has a 10% blue grass blend.. fyi nothing is nicer that a lawn of thick blue grass.. stripes like a dream

Roger
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
What is the sun/shade situation? Bluegrass does well in the sun, fine fescue not so well. Bluegrass does not do we well in the shade, but fine fescue does well.

Use the grass seed (mix?) that fits your application.

SHOF
09-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Most of the lawn is all sun. This year my lawn did not do so well, as I am sure others experienced the same. I have a very sandy soil. I watered quite a bit and it still did not keep it from dieing. I thought that Fescue did better in high temps and droughts.

SHOF
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I did a bit more research and found this as one explanation:

"Not recommended to mix with bluegrass as the bunching characteristics will create unsightly patches"

White Gardens
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I did a bit more research and found this as one explanation:

"Not recommended to mix with bluegrass as the bunching characteristics will create unsightly patches"

Exactly.

The newer varieties of tall fescues won't match in color and texture as KBG.

Tall fescues are better for more clay type soils, and handle drought conditions better than KBG.

I stat away from the blends as much as possible and stick with either strait fine leaf fescues for shade, strait KBG for people who want a blue-grass lawn, and tall fescues for the extreme conditions where establishing ground cover is the only factor.

Runner
09-01-2010, 11:23 PM
This would make sense for a tall fescue (which you SURE don't (no one) wants anyway, as well as a turf type tall fescue. Both have bunch type growth habits, as opposed to prostrate growth habit like that of KBG. Now, creeping red fescues have the same type of growth habit of KBG, but not other fine fescues such as chewings or hard fescues. The fescues however, while beiong a bit more drought tolerant, are not as traffic tolerant, and sure don't have the color and texture of bluegrass. One other thing about all these fescues (with the exception of Kentucky 31 tall fescue, also known as K-31) is that A healthy stand of KBG will actually take over these cultivars and end up choking them out virtually completely - leaving just KBG in the end, anyway.
Also,...if you have a friend that is a turf science major,... he is a good friend to have! :)