PDA

View Full Version : Re- Treads

White Gardens
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I need new rear tires for my 3500 HD. 19.5 load range F tires are expensive and my tire shop has re-treads for half the price, and with a better lug pattern for winter traction.

Has anyone used re-treads with bad results? The guy at the shop said they have never had any de-laminate and there is a 3 year warranty on them.

He also said as long as I'm not do OTR driving for 6 hours or more on a 110* day, the tires should hold up fine.

Any thoughts?

BrandonV
09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
never seen them for that small of a rim, I always thought because the wheel spun so fast they weren't safe/reliable for anything less that a 22" rim, but if your tire guy has them go w/ it... just DONT PUT THEM ON STEER TIRES!!!

White Gardens
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
never seen them for that small of a rim, I always thought because the wheel spun so fast they weren't safe/reliable for anything less that a 22" rim, but if your tire guy has them go w/ it... just DONT PUT THEM ON STEER TIRES!!!

Definitively not going on the steer tires.

He also said that one of the local municipalities uses them on all their medium duty trucks and they haven't had a problem with them.

Even though they might not last as long, they fit the budget right now and I need to get better tires before the winter hits.

You can't beat spending $550 on a set of rear dually tires when new, with a winter traction pattern was going to cost me $1200 or more.

outlaw1960
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
We have had good luck with the Michlen (sp) retreads, from 19.5 to 24.5"......the make of the tire does not really matter as long as they have the michlen caps...hth...our trucks go over 600,000 miles a year and we have had very few de-laminate! That is with 45,000 average on each trailer and we run them on the drives as well!

MarcSmith
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
if one does delaminate and takes your bed/body work with it, will they cover the body damage? the fender ripped off will negate any and all savings...

Gravel Rat
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
With 19.5 especially 225/7019.5 don't use recaps they just don't work that well the truck will ride like chit. The 19.5s with them being a low profile tire the tread cap acts like a stiff ring around the tire it doesn't allow the tire to flex.

If you want a good tire for all weather used for a drive wheel go with the Bridgestone M729 I'am using it on my F-450 I'am very happy with the tires. I convinced a friend with a truck that uses 245 19.5 tires to try them before I did they work excellent for him he is buying them again.

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/images/tires/bridgestone/m729f.jpg

White Gardens
09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
In all honesty I'm not too worried about body damage. If one does de-laminate, it's really not going to tear anything up. It might bend the rod holding the filler tube on one side.

The ride on this trucks sucks until you put at least 2000lbs in the bed, so that's not a real issue, that and I've only put 4000 miles on it this year.

I'll take a look at the Bridgestone M729s there Gravel Rat. I just loved the bigger lug pattern of the tires I had on the old F-350, 2wd. The thing got great traction when empty with a heavier winter pattern.

Budget is also the biggest deal right now too. The wife is almost done with school and next year I'm hoping that we have a little extra income.

Gravel Rat
09-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Those Goodyears you have on the truck now are a discontinued tread design the replacement is crap they peal off and poor traction.

If you are really on a budget try find a dealer that carries Aeolus tires they are fairly decent. This one is a copy of the Michelin Tread

www.aeolustires.com/HN367.html

White Gardens
09-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Those Goodyears you have on the truck now are a discontinued tread design the replacement is crap they peal off and poor traction.

If you are really on a budget try find a dealer that carries Aeolus tires they are fairly decent. This one is a copy of the Michelin Tread

www.aeolustires.com/HN367.html

Unfortunately it looks like the link you showed and the bridgestones don't come in the the 225, 75, 19.5. They look to have 245s, and I'm trying to steer clear of adding more rake to the truck.

I'll do some more searching before I make my decision. I'll let you guys know what I decide.

cgaengineer
09-04-2010, 10:00 AM
if one does delaminate and takes your bed/body work with it, will they cover the body damage? the fender ripped off will negate any and all savings...

That's what I have seen in the past, dually's with no fender from caps coming off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately it looks like the link you showed and the bridgestones don't come in the the 225, 75, 19.5. They look to have 245s, and I'm trying to steer clear of adding more rake to the truck.

I'll do some more searching before I make my decision. I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Those bridgestones come in a 225 size it is what I'am using on my truck now and the company trucks at where I work all have the same. Maybe in the USA they are not offered.

If your dealing with snow these Bridgstones work really well, I look around at other delivery trucks that use 19.5 tires these seem to be common drive tire. My friend that has tried them before me is has 3 years on them.

Here is the website

www.bfentirenet.com/product_catalogs/trucktires/app?task=TruckTiresPC&subtask=ttDetail&ctry=USA&language=en_us&modelID=240&partial=true