PDA

View Full Version : TGCL called ME today!!!!

MOW ED
08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
I was out bar b quein dinner when the phone rang and my wife answered it. The guy asked for me by first name and she assumed it was someone I knew. This little turd went on and on for about 2 minutes about how he is gonna be in the hood doin late summer weed aps and I could get in on a great deal. I let him ramble and bein the nice guy I am, I asked if he looked at his book to see that I am a competitor.

He said that he never heard of me. Oh no! I said thats ok I have been taking some of his customers and I have all I need but still will take new referrals.
He said he does 20 million a year!
WOW, holy ****. I said Keep up the work. I forgot to say good.
We both laughed and hung up.

Quite a marketing deal but I am still laughing just thinking about the look on his face when I told him I am a competitor. Next time I will schedule an appointment.
Hah!

LAWNGODFATHER
08-07-2002, 11:19 PM
I let them come out and give me a bid while my truck is in the drive with the spray tank in the back and signs on the side of the truck (magnetic / only on when I am sprying).

Some are so dumb they don't even notice it when they have to look around the truck for the address.

One gut wanted me to pay for the whole kit-n-kabotal in advance, I said look at my truck dumb ****!!!!

tremor
08-07-2002, 11:57 PM
15 years ago, they were the good guys in this area. I know. I was them. No one else did the good work we were doing. And it was us who did the laughing. How times have changed though. The job required that we take the old "supervisory exam" every year. I was one who passed. See Ya!

I did the estimates for all who asked. Yes. Even for competitors. What difference should that make?

Little did I know that one day, I'd be the competition.

Little more did I know that one day I'd feed & supply the competition. Life is good!

Business is funny that way. All business. Not just this one.

It's just the way things go. Don't take today too seriously. Tomorrow has a plan for you. Just do your best every day. The result has a funny way of keeping up with us.

Steve

Steve

Green Sweep
08-08-2002, 06:59 AM
In the spring, I tell my wife to always accept a free estimate when companies call. I guess alot of these companies will put new hires on estimate duty. When I started out with a national company - thats what I did. The funniest thing is that a lawn analysis will accompany the estimate. Here you got a guy who has no idea what he is looking at telling you that you have crabgrass & pink snow mold. Sometimes I'd love to have the guy come back & discuss my lawn problems with me but thats as far as I take it.

Rob

thfireman
08-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Just the other day there was a guy and his wife putting out fliers on paper boxes advertising lawn care. My truck was in the drive with the trailer attached and they started to put one on my box. I was already in the yard so I walked up to take the flier from them.

The guy asked if I would give him a chance to beat my lawn guys price. I told him I would like to do that. He said he would be back later after the lawn guy left because he didnt like to do estimates while the other lawn guys are working in the yard!!

I looked around and told him it might be awhile before he leaves because it was me and I was home for the night! His jaw dropped and he tried to play it off. He then offered his assistence if I ever got behind and needed help.

I took his flier and told him I would call if I needed him. As he drove off I saw his wife slap him in the arm. I just grinned and went back inside.:angel:

I had to remember I started that way too!:D

Kent Lawns
08-09-2002, 08:33 PM
20 Million?
From a single location?

That's gotta be:
a.) the largest TruGreen in the nation
OR
b.) another TruGreen lie.

grassguy_
08-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Let's see 20 million customers, with a 40% retention rate annually, means 12 milllion customers available just from them in one year! WOW! Guess thats why we're all smiling when they drive by us!