PDA

View Full Version : Good time to Hydroseed???

AAATreeLandscape
08-07-2002, 09:21 PM
A customer of mine wants to hydroseed an area where we will be spreading loom. They want to know if we should do it now or wait until the fall. I'd like to do the job sooner rather than later but I also want the seed to come up. I'm located in eastern mass if that helps. Thanks!

gvandora
08-07-2002, 10:01 PM
As long as they will be able to water the seeded area I think you should be fine. It should be plenty cool up where you are. If you're worried about germination you could up the seeding rate a little. As a rule seeding is best done in the fall, but that does not rule out seeding during other times. The only difference is that you results will not be as good. Specifically you will obtain a lower germination rate. As I said before it can be done, but don't expect perfect.

turfquip
08-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Do it now. Make sure your customer understands and assumes responsibility for keeping it wet. Set your sites on the next hydroseeding job...we are moving into prime hydroseeding season!

AGLA
08-07-2002, 11:31 PM
It will grow. The problem here in eastern MA is that the weeds germinate very strongly in the heat and the grass is not as strong as spring or fall as far as germination. You will be fine as long as you are not responsible for the weeds.
Keep the certified label from the grass seed so you can show the client the percentage of weed seeds if necessary. You will be surprised how many people think that you applied the weed seeds because you bought cheap seed.

aquaturf
08-10-2002, 04:53 PM
I'm just south of boston, and you can hydroseed now. However, if it is full sun or a large area that is not irrigated, I would wait until late August/early Sept. Also, if you must do it now, use Tupersan crabgrass preventative as a precaution. IF you wait until the end of the month, you will not need the Tupersan, but doing it now I would put it in just in case.

Make sure the customer waters waters waters.........