PDA

View Full Version : Not a lighting question

RLI Electric
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Anyone who does paver driveways or stone walks familiar with an electrical heating source to prevent ice. One of the landscapers I work with asked me if there is such a product and I have never come across anything for outdoor use. I use NuHeat all the time for bathroom remodels. Sorry to stray from the lighting a second but I figured there were more than a handful of experts on this forum that has seen something like this.

klkanders
09-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Bob,

Here is are a couple I found just doing a quick google search.

http://www.drivewayheating.com/site/page/home

http://www.orbitmfg.com/htm/heated-driveways-and-sidewalks.html

Good Luck!

David Gretzmier
09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
be sure and check the electrical panel and size of driveway, on one web site it mentions a 30 amp 230 volt breaker for 175 square foot of driveway, and that is quite bit of juice and not a lot of concrete. my drive way on my home is about 1000 square foot.

RLI Electric
09-03-2010, 06:06 AM
One that I came across was 30 watts per square foot. THAT will add up quick.

mdlwn1
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Gas is the only way to go...but still costs a LOT.

Mark B
09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm sure the HO doesn't have a water stove. That would be the real answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

niteliters
09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
how big of a hurry are you in Bob? a client of mine has it in their driveway and it's pretty large, about 200 yards long x 13' wide with a 80'x 40' parking area in the middle. They are a new client so I don't know how much of it is heated but he indicated that all of it was. They are on a trip and won't return till next week, I can get the specifics when they return if you would like.

RLI Electric
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Chris, I can wait till they get back, thank you. I look forward to hearing what they have.

David Gretzmier
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
it would seem that a geothermal heat pump using tubing much like radiant floors would seem to be the least cost over the long run, but probably the most expensive to install.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Bob. Many of my clients heat their patios, paths and even some do their driveways in order to keep snow clearing to a minimum. Usually it is tied into their hydronic heating systems but I have seen electrical heat line used too. I haven't paid much attention to it as I am philosophically opposed to the concept ( imagine the carbon footprint!) I will ask around and find out what is being used out there.

A google search on "electric driveway heating" brought up millions of hits. Check this one out: http://www.warmzone.com/SnowMelting.asp

RLI Electric
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
James, that is the one that I was looking at too. I am also against this idea except the homeowner is in a wheelchair and is really concerned about ice on the driveway. Although I am sure for the money it will cost to run this he can hire someone to plow and apply deicer.

Tim R.
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Bob. Many of my clients heat their patios, paths and even some do their driveways in order to keep snow clearing to a minimum. Usually it is tied into their hydronic heating systems but I have seen electrical heat line used too. I haven't paid much attention to it as I am philosophically opposed to the concept ( imagine the carbon footprint!) I will ask around and find out what is being used out there.

A google search on "electric driveway heating" brought up millions of hits. Check this one out: http://www.warmzone.com/SnowMelting.asp

Carbon Shmarbon, you are a smart guy James. I am surprised you fell for that chicken little fable. My trees LOVE the CO2, in fact i think I can hear them growing like crazy outside right now...:laugh:

I am philosophically opposed to broken backs due to icy walkways :laugh:

Just ribbin ya brother..

niteliters
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Chris, I can wait till they get back, thank you. I look forward to hearing what they have.

o.k., will let you know what I find out...probably beginning of next week