PDA

View Full Version : eaton 778 repair/replacement

linerider
09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi,
I have an older steiner ztm200 18 hp briggs and 52" deck. The right side hydro is an eaton 778-043 and has quit working. It acts like the fluid is not flowing inside of the hydro. I am going to try and take it apart this weekend. Have already downloaded the eaton directions from thier website. In case this is not repairable by the average person, I am a maintenance technician in a factory as my main job. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that can rebuild thse and or where new ones can be obtained. Thanks for your time and any information you can give me.
Donald

pugs
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Do you have the actual model and serial of the unit? I dont think I need it but just in case.

Looks like you have a Steiner version of a Bobcat LEO... Ugh, the LEO had issues with those transmissions :(. Not really sure why since they seem very similar to the ones in Ferris Dual Drives and they hold up really well there under commercial use. Guess the extra weight from a rider? I dunno. Although I think Grasshopper used them in riders long ago too...so who knows.

How many hours are on your unit? You may want to contact SGC and see if they will help you out at all. There is a bulletin dealing with these. If one fails prematurely outside of the warranty period they will give you a better price on a new transaxle unit to replace it. Its worth a shot if you have fairly low hours on it but if you have a tons of hours I doubt they will help you out at all.

The trans from Bobcat is part 4129341 and lists for about ~$1140

kiser312
09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Just rebuilt a 778. the " pump Rotor" is usually the weak link. it has a brass bushing that wears out and usually locks up the pump rotor. The hardest part is taking the pump apart making sure no bearing or springs fly out. A new filter is 20 bucks and the pump rotor was 85 bucks from Eaton. The wait was about 6 weeks. good luck

linerider
09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the information. Will take it apart today or tommorrow.
All your information is greatly appreciated. Also will contact SGC, mower only has 540 hours on it.

pugs
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
If it is at all like the Ferris transmissions you might try one of their dealers for the parts if the part you need is the same. Ferris stocks some parts for the ones they use.

I had looked into parts for an Eaton before and Eaton told me to their "distributor" was motion industries. Well to me a distributor stocks parts for something they distribute....yah not according to Eaton so like kiser312 said the wait for parts could be 6-8 weeks.

linerider
09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Took transaxle apart. After speaking with an engineer at eaton. Contacted Applied Industrial technologies. Can get the filter, pump assy and motor assy for less than $200. Whole assy is about $750 from them. We do a lot of business with them where I work so can get decent prices. Luckily, I have a spare mower so the 5 week wait isn't that big of a killer. By the way, have opted to try and rebuild. Wish me luck.
Linerider

kiser312
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
If you can take it apart, you can rebuild it. Make sure you clean all the parts in the motor and the pump. Then clean it again 2 or 3 more times. The bleeding process is the also in eatons reapair manual.

BigFish
09-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Took transaxle apart. After speaking with an engineer at eaton. Contacted Applied Industrial technologies. Can get the filter, pump assy and motor assy for less than $200. Whole assy is about $750 from them. We do a lot of business with them where I work so can get decent prices. Luckily, I have a spare mower so the 5 week wait isn't that big of a killer. By the way, have opted to try and rebuild. Wish me luck.
Linerider

Nothin' to it! Just remember , "if it don't fit, don't force it! Just get a BIGGER hammer!!"

fixer67
09-18-2010, 11:51 PM
"Have already downloaded the eaton directions from thier website"

Would you post that URL?

linerider
09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Here is the location of the eaton 778 manuals. just scroll down to the right one. They have both the repair manual and the parts manual. For parts, you really should call eaton, as the parts diagram is just a generic one and some of the parts in your specific transaxle maybe different. They sent me an assembly drawing and parts list of the 778-043, no problem.
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/trans_light_duty.htm
Linerider

MoGreen
08-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Linerider did you have any luck rebuilding this? I'm in the exact same boat. I need the 6 planetary gears and I am trying to find a supplier. Eaton say 6-8 weeks!!!
Huh???
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

linerider
08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Yes, I was able to rebuild this. It took about 6 weeks to get the parts. I got them through Applied Industrial Technology, we do alot of business with them at work, so they got me the parts at a good price. Just had to replace the pump and motor in mine. The most important part is to keep clean clean clean! You might check parts tree, the show some eaton parts on their web site.
Don't know if they keep them in stock or have to order them.
Linerider

pugs
08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry I was wrong in my earlier post. The 778 is not at all like what Ferris and Grasshopper have used. I think they were all 771's and 770's which appear to be a bit beefier than this one.

Did SGC/CGC ever get back to you?

linerider
08-25-2011, 01:50 PM
No, I bought the mower second hand so did not try to contact them. However, I did contact them about manuals and they e-mailed them to me. Parts including all new bearings cost about $350.00 to rebuild it, but did not need any of the gears. I did contact Applied about a new unit, they quoted me $750.00 for it. Also heard that there may be a shop in Michigan that will rebuild them for you. Sorry do not remember their name at this time.
Linerider

MoGreen
08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, same here. Bought the mower with 140hrs on it but eaton has such a monopoly they say wait time is 6-8 weeks!!
Holy moly!
I need both sets of planetary gears (total of six gears) for the 778 pump assembly.
I am just a consumer and cannot get to applied without being a dealer....this stinks....
:(
Posted via Mobile Device

MoGreen
08-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Btw, who is SCG?? You refer to them , but I don't know what to search for?
Thank you!!
Posted via Mobile Device

linerider
08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
MoGreen,
SCG is Schiller Grounds Care, They are the parent company of Steiner, Bobcat, Bunton, ect. You can do a search for them online.
I spoke with a Bobcat dealer here and the eaton 778 was used on the bobcat Leo , he said he could get the transaxle, you may want to check your local Bobcat dealer and check his prices.
Hope this helps.
Linerider

MoGreen
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Heh, the "local" Bobcat dealer near me closed. The closest is 1hr away. I did call about 6 different places including Fluid Motion? (Eaton parts dealer) and they ALL said parts come from Eaton and it will be at least 8 weeks!!!!!!??
Eaton is in the process of updating (increasing prices) their warehouse and it will be a while.
I need the pump now! I found a link to simplicity parts @ partstree but not sure if this covers my particular model. I have the Eaton 778 on both the Bobcat AND the Swisher I just bought. Here is the link:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1693230+-+ZT%2C+18HP+Hydro&dn=19261
So your dealer has one IN STOCK, or would have to order it? If he has to order it, supposedly they all come from Eaton=it will be a while!
Man, thanks for your help! I thought of opening it up and checking it out.....worst case scenario I would have to buy a new pump which is what has been recommended anyway! I'm open to any suggestions and have the extra $$$ this month to blow...:laugh:

MoGreen
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Okay, I bought some 2+2 and Acetone on the advice of a friend. I will start this project today. Is the 2+2, acetone, and lots of lint free rags what I will need? Do you suggest any other cleaning products?
Thanks!
(Eaton 778)