PDA

View Full Version : Shade sod?

capetrees
09-02-2010, 11:45 PM
A customer of mine has asked me to renovate his lawn because he was told the sod that was installed was shade sod and it should have been sun sod. This was actaully told to him by a Scotts rep because they used to take care of the lawn fertilizers. I know the sod most often used around here is kentucky blue grass. Considering also that most sod farms I've seen are usually huge open areas, is there such a thing as shade sod or is this guy just blowing smoke? :confused: I plan to overseed the lawn with whats needed in certain areas.

Smallaxe
09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Most/all sod farms around here are straight KBG. I've heard of people making sod out of fescue, by growing it in woven mesh to hold it together. Shade grasses here are the CR fescue and Per. ryegrass, have never heard of that combo being done as sod.
Tell your client that he shouldn't buy anything from someone who lies so easily. Unless he's telling the truth. :)
You need to find out, for sure. That is what being a professional, is all about.

jeffslawnservice
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Tall fescue is a shade sod that is sometimes used around here so I do know there is such a thing as shade sod.

Coffeecraver
09-03-2010, 09:41 PM
In order for the sod to be classified as shade tolerant it should contain
a red fescue.Ask the sod supplier if they sell a sod mix with it.

:)

ronslawncare
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
i think the shade sod is called midnight blue

Coffeecraver
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Additions of creeping red fescue, perennial rye grass or annual rye grass seeds are included in bluegrass for several reasons. Red Fescue tolerates shadier areas where bluegrass may not get enough sunshine. Annual rye grass is often seeded with the bluegrass to achieve green-up earlier and dies off when warmer weather sets in.

capetrees
09-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks all. It just seemed strange that something that seems like it grows in a field would be classified as shade sod.

It shouldn't be tough to fix.

Thanks again.:drinkup:

bmac1996acc
09-29-2010, 04:52 PM
TifGrand (bermuda) will grow in 60-70% shade