PDA

View Full Version : No replies from homeowners section

StanWilhite
09-03-2010, 01:51 AM
As before I posted on "homeowners site but no reply. Does anyone else have any experience with this engine?
Is the B&S IC 13.5hp a bad engine or did I get a lemon? I have one that's on a Swisher 60" pull behind finish mower that I bought new in '04. I originally used Mobil 1 in it, but it used so much oil from day one I changed to Shell Rotella, thinking that it would slow or stop the oil usage....it didn't. I only use the mower about 1 1/2 hrs a week (8 or 9 months of the year) so it wasn't a big deal, but... it has about changed my mind on what I think of B&S. I have 5 or 6 other B&S engines on other equipment (one mower is 30 yrs old) that have been really good, but this one is a different story all together. Do I have a lemon or do these engines suck?
Thanks in advance, Stan

rain man
09-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Not famaliar here but you might want to post the question in the repair section.

bc3xx0
09-03-2010, 02:36 AM
IMO briggs suck. Are you mowing flat ground or hills??

piston slapper
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
13 5 hp pushing a 60" deck ? This mower is way underpowered. If it was a twin cyl it might be ok , but a single cyl IC is going to have to work so hard it is going to use oil. The more hours on it , the quicker it will use oil. Your problem is with Swisher not with Briggs.If it used oil from day 1 , you might have gotten it warranteed, but, that was 6 yrs ago.

bc3xx0
09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
13 5 hp pushing a 60" deck ? This mower is way underpowered. If it was a twin cyl it might be ok , but a single cyl IC is going to have to work so hard it is going to use oil. The more hours on it , the quicker it will use oil. Your problem is with Swisher not with Briggs.If it used oil from day 1 , you might have gotten it warranteed, but, that was 6 yrs ago.

It's just turning the blades. Unless he's using it as a brush cutter or knee high grass it should be plenty of HP.

BigFish
09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
As before I posted on "homeowners site but no reply. Does anyone else have any experience with this engine?
Is the B&S IC 13.5hp a bad engine or did I get a lemon? I have one that's on a Swisher 60" pull behind finish mower that I bought new in '04. I originally used Mobil 1 in it, but it used so much oil from day one I changed to Shell Rotella, thinking that it would slow or stop the oil usage....it didn't. I only use the mower about 1 1/2 hrs a week (8 or 9 months of the year) so it wasn't a big deal, but... it has about changed my mind on what I think of B&S. I have 5 or 6 other B&S engines on other equipment (one mower is 30 yrs old) that have been really good, but this one is a different story all together. Do I have a lemon or do these engines suck?
Thanks in advance, Stan

That may be your problem! Engines need to be properly broken in (rings seated etc.) on regular motor oil before switching to synthetic. Try using straight 30 wt. oil and not multi-grade, it ain't a miracle cure , but it might slow the oil use down a bit.
Have you done a cyl. leakdown test ?

StanWilhite
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
IMO briggs suck. Are you mowing flat ground or hills??

I mow our yard (about 3 acres) every wk, and mow the 4-5 acre pasture 2 or 3 times each mowing season. It's all flat. The motor is more than enough power for our yard since it's just about all solid trees and shaded but is underpowered for the pasture. I mow the thinner part of the pasture with it and my BB Lightning 6000, then unhook the pull behind and mow the thicker pasture grass with just the BB.

StanWilhite
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
That may be your problem! Engines need to be properly broken in (rings seated etc.) on regular motor oil before switching to synthetic. Try using straight 30 wt. oil and not multi-grade, it ain't a miracle cure , but it might slow the oil use down a bit.
Have you done a cyl. leakdown test ?

I considered the fact that the use of Mobil 1 might have affected the seating of the rings but I also knew some high end cars (Corvettes for one) came from the factory with Mobil 1 so I wasn't too concerned about it. I did however, after running the mower 4 or 5 months, start using Rotella for that reason. I've always wondered if the synthetic oil had a bearing on the oil usage. I haven't done a compression test.
Thanks for the replies, Stan