PDA

View Full Version : Toro zmaster series 100 steering issue

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I just bought a toro zmaster series 100. it has a 17hp kaw and 44'' deck.

Iam having a steering issues. the sticks seem really sensitive. after making a turn, either from going around something or making another pass in lawn, it is hard to get mower to straighten back out. Not that the sticks are stiff, you just have to pull back a little more then my other zero turns and then sometimes it reacts late and you have to push back quickly. I hope I explained it right.

Thanks

Restrorob
09-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Check all the joystick linkage including the pivot arms on the hydro pumps for wear/slop/play and repair as needed......

StihlMechanic
09-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Check all the joystick linkage including the pivot arms on the hydro pumps for wear/slop/play and repair as needed......

i agree, but also check the shock dampeners, they blow out all the time and cause your complaint.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I will check those things tomorrow.

Thanks guys for your help. I will post results..

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Should sticks return to neutral by themselves when pushed forwards? They do return when pulled back to reverse.

My other zero turns(not toro's) do return to neutral on forward or reverse.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Should sticks return to neutral by themselves when pushed forwards? They do return when pulled back to reverse.

My other zero turns(not toro's) do return to neutral on forward or reverse.

Should they? this is really bothering me. lol

South Florida Lawns
09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
its deffinatly the shock dampeners. I replaced mine and it made a world of a difference.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 11:29 PM
its deffinatly the shock dampeners. I replaced mine and it made a world of a difference.

Ok. One question. they do seem stiff?

StihlMechanic
09-06-2010, 12:06 AM
the dampeners retail for around 20-30 bucks, tell me your model number and i can get you a part number. 5 digit number starting with a 7 on the plaque on the side of the frame.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-06-2010, 08:33 AM
the dampeners retail for around 20-30 bucks, tell me your model number and i can get you a part number. 5 digit number starting with a 7 on the plaque on the side of the frame.

Model: 74161

Thanks

StihlMechanic
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
shock dampner part number 109-2339, they retail for 31.99 each at a toro dealer

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Well it is not he shocks. I pulled mine off and compared them to new ones I just bought this morning and they have the same pressure both ways. I took the new ones back. Maybe Iam just use to my levers on my other mowers returning to nuetral by themselves. My other mowers are spring loaded both ways, I noticed that this toro only has springs to return to nuetral when in reverse.

One more thing. I was going to change hydro fluid, but manual says to change filter only. whats up with that?

StihlMechanic
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Good question. I looked at the service manual and the owners manual for your model number today and there is nothing about when or how to change the oil in them, I was surprised. You have the Hydro-Gear BDP-10L pumps and Ross MB15 wheel motors. The system takes 2.1 qts of Mobil 1 15w-20 synthetic, but I use mobil one 15w50. Unless the system is contaminated, they do not "require" an oil change, per the manufacture, BUT I recommend you do so at the first 200, and every 500 hours afterwards. Changing the oil is no fun and you will need to purge the system of air afterwards.