PDA

View Full Version : Can't pull the Rope on my Stihl FS85 Trimmer

statman
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
That's bad isn't it? Any suggestions?

cgaengineer
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
It sounds like its seized up. Stupid question, but did you make sure that you had fuel with oil in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Take the spark plug out...see if it spins then.

If not, take the recoil off and try to turn it by hand...maybe rope is off pulley or something else bound up in there.

If you cant spin it by hand with the spark plug out and recoil off....probably a seized up engine. Time for a new machine.

ajslands
09-03-2010, 07:39 PM
It's probably siezed, and it would probably be cheeper to by a new trimmer or engine rather then find the sieze. You might get lucky one day and break the sieze. Doubt it tho
Posted via Mobile Device

statman
09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
ya, i mixed the oil. like a dumb... I thought I would save a few bucks and used a bottle of 2 cycle I found in my dad's garage. I know it was mixed right, but it was an off-brand, not the stihl pre-measured I usually use. now my back-up isn't running right, crap!

StihlMechanic
09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
take the shround and exhaust off, see if the piston is scored. unually when these lockup it is either the clutch or the crankshaft bearing on the flywheel side.

lawnboyman
09-04-2010, 06:16 PM
After you do the above, and IF it isnt scored. Try to use a socket extension, put it in the spark plug hole, and hit it. It may break the seize. Then if it does put MMO in the cylinder and See if it runs...

ed2hess
09-04-2010, 09:28 PM
After you do the above, and IF it isnt scored. Try to use a socket extension, put it in the spark plug hole, and hit it. It may break the seize. Then if it does put MMO in the cylinder and See if it runs...
And pour 2 cycle oil into the spark plug hole before you try to turn it. I would pull the head off and inspect it before I tried to start it. I have been able to get them going almost all the time. Usually hand buff the internal walls and put in new rings.

statman
09-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I pulled it apart and found what I think is the flywheel broke apart (it is the part with fins sicking out of it.) They got wedged aound the the clutch. the piston looks good and it will start now. do you think it is ok to run until I get a new part? Is the part with the fins the flywheel?

cgaengineer
09-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I pulled it apart and found what I think is the flywheel broke apart (it is the part with fins sicking out of it.) They got wedged aound the the clutch. the piston looks good and it will start now. do you think it is ok to run until I get a new part? Is the part with the fins the flywheel?

No, do not run it...it will be out of balance and cause extra wear oin the main bearings.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnboyman
09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Yep, Wait til you get a new flywheel.

statman
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I bought a new flywheel, now I just don't know how to get the old one off. Help please!

cgaengineer
09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Loosen the flywheel nut and spin it counter clockwise until it flush with end of crank shaft. With a block of wood as a cushion, place block of wood on end of crank and tap lightly. If this doesn't work tap fly wheel with wood block in multiple places. It should come of easily.
Posted via Mobile Device

statman
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I have what I think is the clutch blocking the flywheel from coming off. There is a 13mm head on it and I cannot budge it. I'm afraid to wrench on it too hard for fear of really screwing something up.

cgaengineer
09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I have what I think is the clutch blocking the flywheel from coming off. There is a 13mm head on it and I cannot budge it. I'm afraid to wrench on it too hard for fear of really screwing something up.

It maybe backwards threads, maybe someone can chime in. Just a bit of heat (not much) can make a difference is something coming off or not. Do you have a way to hold clutch from moving?
Posted via Mobile Device

statman
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Finally got it fixed.

The clutch is not reverse thread. Put a rope in the spark plug hole so the shaft doesn't rotate. 13mm wrench to take off the clutch. bought a gear puller to take off the old flywheel, wasted $14. took a brass hammer and gave the the shaft a pretty good whack while holding the flywheel in my fingers. popped right off. After spending an hour looking for the keystock, i called the mechanic at the shop where i bought my mower and he said the flywheel has the keystock molded into it. just drop it on the shaft. reassembled, pulled the rope, and it ran. First time i tackled a major repair. can't believe i fixed it myself.

Thanks to all for your help!

StihlMechanic
10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Finally got it fixed.

The clutch is not reverse thread. Put a rope in the spark plug hole so the shaft doesn't rotate. 13mm wrench to take off the clutch. bought a gear puller to take off the old flywheel, wasted $14. took a brass hammer and gave the the shaft a pretty good whack while holding the flywheel in my fingers. popped right off. After spending an hour looking for the keystock, i called the mechanic at the shop where i bought my mower and he said the flywheel has the keystock molded into it. just drop it on the shaft. reassembled, pulled the rope, and it ran. First time i tackled a major repair. can't believe i fixed it myself.

Thanks to all for your help!

thats how I do them, good job.