PDA

View Full Version : Fastrak 54 vs Fastrak SD 54 for homeowner

laramr
09-04-2010, 12:49 AM
I have a little less than an acre, fairly level but one side drops off about 10 degree slope. There is a stormwater runoff trough 150 feet along the rear edge that I cut, and one side of it is almost 45 degrees. I may buy the lot next door (about an acre) and it has a large area that is sloped about 40 degrees. Been cutting it for three years now with my Craftsman 42" LT with an 18HP Kohler.

I started out thinking I would need ( want :) ) the SD, but the more I look I have been convinving myself that the standard FasTrak would be more than enough for me. Same deck (?), same trans, same seat, etc. Only difference I see is bigger engine with large air filter and bigger tires. I'm being offered FasTrak for about 5K and the SD (Kaw or Honda) for about 6K. Suggestions?

mowerconsultant
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I received your email, I replied to it.
My concerns are the slopes you talk about if you buy the property next door, ZTR's just arenít made for that type of angle mowing.
As to the rest, 10 to 15 degrees then I would go with a ZTR, a SD or a Z4 depending how much slope mowing your doing.

Pj

laramr
03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
So I'm ready to pull the trigger. I can get either the Kaw or Honda engine for same price on a leftover 2010 model 54" SuperDuty ($5800). Any recommendations on which engine to choose and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mowerconsultant
03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
So I'm ready to pull the trigger. I can get either the Kaw or Honda engine for same price on a leftover 2010 model 54" SuperDuty ($5800). Any recommendations on which engine to choose and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ask your dealer which he prefers, he may have a better working relationship with one mfg over the other.
Both are great engines.

Pj

mmcfadin
03-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I am homeowner also and I have about 1 3/4 acres to mow. My house is walk out so I have some slopes on both side of the house and a gentle slope to a lake to the rear. I chose the SD 54 with the 25 Kaw motor which I bought new in fall of 2008. It's an excellent machine and I have done regular maintenance with no problems to date. It is also fast, I can mow my entire property with 50+ trees to go around in 90 minutes if I push it. I had my dealer add the flex forks and glad I did. My yard was new in 09 so it was pretty rough. I don't think you can wrong with a Hustler.

laramr
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
So I go back to finally buy the 2010 54" FasTrak SD that I've been looking at since the end of last summer and it sold two days ago!!! :cry: Ended up getting a brand-new-in-the-crate 2011 for 6K. Has the new 26HP Kawasaki vs the Honda that was in the 2010. More importantly, it hasn't been sitting in the sun, rain and snow for the last 7 months! Easily worth the extra 200. I'm a happy camper. Thanks to PJ for answering every question thrown his way. Tremendous asset to the professional and howmeowner alike. I kept looking at all brands but kept coming back to Hustler. :hammerhead::clapping:

mowerconsultant
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
So I go back to finally buy the 2010 54" FasTrak SD that I've been looking at since the end of last summer and it sold two days ago!!! :cry: Ended up getting a brand-new-in-the-crate 2011 for 6K. Has the new 26HP Kawasaki vs the Honda that was in the 2010. More importantly, it hasn't been sitting in the sun, rain and snow for the last 7 months! Easily worth the extra 200. I'm a happy camper. Thanks to PJ for answering every question thrown his way. Tremendous asset to the professional and howmeowner alike. I kept looking at all brands but kept coming back to Hustler. :hammerhead::clapping:

It happens.....
At least you have a nice sweet new mower in the garage!
Congrats! and welcome to the Hustler family!

Pj