PDA

View Full Version : How far away should I live from work?

hudsonhawk
09-04-2010, 04:17 AM
I've been running a lawn business for 3 years out of a tiny space and its time to move on. I've always wanted to live in the country and it would fit with the business as far as space, place to dump, burn brush, etc. However, I'm struggling with how far outside of the big city limits to go. I wouldnt want spend an exessive amount of time driving everyday. I work out of a city that is about a 30 to 45 min drive in any direction across. Does anyone else out there work a lawn/landscape service out of a rural location? If so,how are you set up and what are the pro's and con's? Thanks.

White Gardens
09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I've been running a lawn business for 3 years out of a tiny space and its time to move on. I've always wanted to live in the country and it would fit with the business as far as space, place to dump, burn brush, etc. However, I'm struggling with how far outside of the big city limits to go. I wouldnt want spend an exessive amount of time driving everyday. I work out of a city that is about a 30 to 45 min drive in any direction across. Does anyone else out there work a lawn/landscape service out of a rural location? If so,how are you set up and what are the pro's and con's? Thanks.

I guess I do. I live outside of the Bloomington/Normal area and drive 15 minutes to town to do work.

A lot of the other guys around here do the same thing, where they live outside of town and go to town to do their work.

I personally like it as I can do work around my area and get there in reasonable time, so I'm not limiting myself to the metro area, and I can expand to the Peoria market if I so choose.

Burning and piling brush sounds great, but you need to remember there are EPA laws regarding such. Around here you can't remove debris from city limits unless it's chipped (brush), or lawn debris is tilled into the soil no more than two weeks after it's been dumped.

The EPA isn't running around checking on people, it's the other lawn guys that you tick off that will call you in........

MR-G
09-04-2010, 09:47 AM
It really depends on how much windshield time and fuel you are able to spend...it is very nice to have open space...

DitchDr
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
We have a truck that drives 100 miles one way 2 times a week.

CutterCutter
09-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I live in town and used to work almost exclusively in town. Small jobs and small rates to go with it.

I still live in the same place in town but now almost all of my work is in suburban areas. Larger yards and much larger rates. The work itself is much easier. It's 25 miles one way for me to get to my work area but I wouldn't go back to the small in town yards for anything.