PDA

View Full Version : here we go again. grubs? i dont see them...

bobbygedd
08-08-2002, 12:48 AM
ok, i have a customer who last year , their lawn looked great , till about mid july, they never watered, then it went pretty bad. he called and sdaid he had grubs, i didnt find any, he insisted that the grubs ate his lawn sometime in june, and now r gone without a trace. i disagreed, stating that his lawn looked like **** cus he didnt water. now, again this year, his lawn was the best around, till about 4 weeks ago, i checked for grubs here starting in june, and weekly till last week, never finding any at all. now he calls me, he says the grubs got him again. i know grub damage, this isnt it. it is brown spots, but when u pull it up, u dont get any roots, just blades in your hand. at this point i dont know what to tell this man(without being rude). i have never seen a drop of water on this property, and we have had drought conditions for quite a while now. is it possible this is grubs? if it is, they r invisible. any help? thanx

KenH
08-08-2002, 02:03 PM
You would see the grubs. As you know, the sod would peel back like a carpet. If he is that hardheaded, call your local extension service and have them send you out info on grubs. Show him the flyers.

ipm
08-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Have you looked around for green pellets, that almost look like fert. pellets. You might have sod webworms, or maybe even cutworms. They are nocturnal(sp?) feeders and during the day are very difficult to find. It sounds to me like sod webworms. Have you applied Mach 2 or any other type of insecticide?

grassguy_
08-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Ipm is probably got your answer but you need to find some green frass, indications of the sod webworm or even armyworm problems. If the blades are coming off with a slight tug, could be an indication of billbug as well. Usually billbug won't look that servere ut when large populations go without being kept in check they can wipe a yard out significantly. Time to do the water can test and see what starts floating.

BRL
08-09-2002, 12:50 PM
I have found that the average person who is not in the green industry associates the word "grub" with any type of damaging insect that we encounter in lawns. We rarely get Army Worms in this area, with last year being an exception. Supposedly the Army Worm infestation that blew this far north last year was not going to be able to survive the past winter & they would not be a problem again this year. I would bet the damage last year was from the army worm invasion that was widespread here. I have noticed a lot of Sod Webworm activity this year, and they are similar to Army Worm so I'd bet that may be the bug of damage this year, considering the damage seems to be similar to last year's. My supplier said he has heard about a lot of Bill Bug, Sod Webworm and Chinch Bug activity happening this year so they are all potential possibilities. You can get the Sod Webworms to come out of the soil by pouring a couple of gallons of water mixed with some dish detergent over an area of suspected damage. Within 10 minutes or so the worms will crawl up onto the soil surface. Also if you notice lots of tiny moths flying up as you mow or walk across the lawn (more noticible in the AM or PM hours I believe?), that could be them also, in their moth stage, laying eggs for the next worm hatch.

Also look for signs of diseases as temps & humidity lately have created ideal conditions for a few diseases to start. I have seen quite a few lawns with disease damage lately.

General Grounds
08-10-2002, 08:02 PM
:blob3: Bobby, did you ask the your customer or should i saw the turf guru if he had a swam of birds and crows, if you have grubs the birds would have made that lawn appear like swiss cheese digging it up looking for the grubs. if you have a screwdriver handy with say a 6" blade on it see if you can penetrate the blade up to the handle, if not you have a water issue and let the customer know that, if it penetrates may be fungus or insect damage. tony

Runner
08-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Here where we are at, Chinch bugs are in their late adult stages, so there is plenty of time for another generation to hit before the cold sets in. Grubs, right now, are there, but they are very, very tiny at this stage. You watch, and go to the edges of the damage where the grubs would be. I have some lawns, where I have grub damage that mixes right into Chinch bug damage as well. You can pull some up completely, and 5 feet away, it is Chinch bug damage. This is also classic sign of nematode damge as well, so be on the lookout. It has been just so unGODly hot, that we have scortched earth, basically, so foolish me, hasn't been on some of these lawns in a few weeks. THIS is when they got me!

MJStrain
08-17-2002, 01:02 AM
Buy the dope a sprinkler and go home and have a beer...:D

bobbygedd
08-17-2002, 09:08 PM
screw him, the dope can but his own sprinkler and ill go home and have a 12 pack. thanx for the advice dudes

heygrassman
08-18-2002, 12:21 AM
did you ask the your customer or should i saw the turf guru if he had a swam of birds and crows

Isn't this true for cutworm as well??

MJStrain
08-22-2002, 12:58 PM
i r a colege graduaight:D