PDA

View Full Version : hostas arent blooming

bobbygedd
08-08-2002, 01:54 AM
put in several hosta last august for one of my favorite cuastomers. they did great. this year they started coming out but looks almost as if they stopped before coming all out, and no blooms. the soil is clay, exposure deep shade. they were fertilized with ozmecote in april. any idea whats happening?

Got Grass?
08-08-2002, 04:51 AM
After a bunch of transplants of Hostas I've noticed a lot of them tend to not "flower" untill the 2nd year. Exact answer to your question I'm not sure.
Thay are the hardiest plant I've seen. Just cant kill the things. Gave a few to a friend in clay, no sun, no fert, no water & thay are thriving.
One somehow ended up in my lawn I've ran over with the mower every week for a year, Finnaly the 2nd year it stoped coming back up.

I have killed them by giving the roots to much air before.

Premo Services
08-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Got Grass?
After a bunch of transplants of Hostas I've noticed a lot of them tend to not "flower" untill the 2nd year. Exact answer to your question I'm not sure.
Thay are the hardiest plant I've seen. Just cant kill the things.

Same here, nothing until the second year, then a lots of blooms. I have been transplanting tons of hostas for the past couple years.

Tony Harrell
08-19-2002, 05:41 AM
The Hostas around here seem to be burning up. Are they a full sun plant? Maybe it's the drought/high temps.

coolyard
08-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Hostas don't like fertilizer. They actually do better in poor soil. I sprayed some (that had always done well) with miracle gro one time and they looked half dead for the rest of the summer.

vardener
09-30-2002, 01:39 AM
My first experience with this plant was soon after I moved to MD. My neighbor gave me one of her root balls that was about 2 ft in diameter. It was a pretty common variety. I split it into 14 different plants in the middle of the summer, put them on either side of my walkway (7ft).

They bloomed about a month later, quadrupled in size this yearand are FULL of flowers. Still.

Don't know what to tell you. I don't ever fertilize and I have a thriving garden at home. I don't even water much come to think of it. Hmmm....

My hostas are in partial shade, and I know most plants will bloom better with a bit of sun on 'em.

Too much water? Not enough? I'd wait this one out.

David Shaw
10-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Hostas tend to be shade lovers although most like some sun and some will stand right out in the open. Clay soils aren't the best for hostas, I know that's what I have and I have hostas. It takes a couple of years for them to get established it seems like in this stuff. Next time I'ld amend the soil if I were you. But don't give up I'm sure they'll be fine.

I planted some this spring for a customer here and the summer just ate em up. Too hot and dry, hope they just live till dormancy.

BigJim
10-01-2002, 11:47 PM
Hostas here are grown for the coloured leaves.Most people cut the flowers off.They do prefer shade,but theres exceptions to all rules.The other thing is snails love them,especially when they first shoot up in the spring.