PDA

View Full Version : Are All Hustlers This Bad?

nimblewill
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I bought a new Hustler Z (Kawasaki 25) last October. At 15 hours it started dripping oil on my garage floor. At 24 hours the blade clutch went out and was replaced under warranty. Now, at 51 hours the blades once again will not engage--shut off the blades to move the hammock, got back on, pulled the switch, nothing...

Tested all fuses OK, mower starts fine and shuts off if I stand up, so it isn't the seat switch. Presume it isn't the clutch, which leaves the PTO switch. Drove to my dealer to buy a switch this morning but they're closed for for an extended Labor Day weekend--must be nice. So I guess I'm done unless somebody has a great suggestion.

How can this much go wrong so soon? The mower it replaced was a 20 year old Deere front mower that sat outside forever and in the four years I had it I replaced one belt and one hose. Here in central Ohio, you see about 50 Exmarks for every Hustler but based on research it seemed to me that the reason for that was most likely based on the scarlet and gray (Go Bucks!) color scheme of the Exmarks. For homeowner use, any of these commercial mowers should be trouble free and last about forever. I'm starting to think about trading the piece of junk in at a huge loss and buying anything else that is likely to save me money and headaches over time.

I'm sure my dealer will eventually make it right, but I don't have a trailer so repairs are a 2-3 week ordeal during which I have no mower--but that does give me time to clean the oil off the garage floor.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in this Hustler.

mowerconsultant
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Good afternoon,
If you could email me your information, your model and serial # and your dealer information I will get on top of this for you.
I am sorry your having this experience.

Pj

Tockit
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I haven't had a minutes trouble from my Hustler, although I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better.

A friend of mine has a John Deere 720 Z-Trak, and one of his wheel motors locked up the 2nd time he used it and it is a brand new machine.

I guess there's always that chance of getting a lemon?