PDA

View Full Version : Soil Renovation ; Milorganite ?

Mgardner
08-08-2002, 02:23 AM
How many operators have used this organic renovation on heavy clay with shade ? Some of the more experianced local operators have told me they had tremendous results using Revive and or Milorganite. Any heads-up on these products ? I think ,if these work as well as they say ,it will be a very cost-effective treatment to these problem areas. Iv`e not used any of it but others sware by it.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Explain? Where exactly are you going to use this? in the lawn? In a garden? Etc.......

In the Lawn I find Milarganite not cost affective at all but rather expensive. You must use a whole lot more product to equil what you can buy syntheticly. The other I have never heard of.

But for clay Gypsum works wonders.

morturf
08-09-2002, 11:49 PM
I think that you are on the right track. Milorganite can be a miracle worker. I have used it with success in many areas like you described. Yes it is expensive but it does amazing things. I used 120 tons last year.
Mike

Mgardner
08-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Thats really what I was hoping . That someone has extensivly used the product. My brother warned me that you don`t want to put it on too heavy or it really stinks. Makes sense because it comes from Milwaukee sewer plant. It will be going on a front lawn, only about 3500 sq` that has compacted clay with huge oak trees shading over it. Other question is what setting on a Lesco spreader would be appropriate?:D I think my price is (Milorganite)$24.00 for a 40lb bag and the Revive is a fraction of the cost. I know the Revive is in a 20lb.bag for 2000sq`. Not sure what coverage is in a 40lb. bag of Milorganite.

morturf
08-10-2002, 09:26 PM
If you have a Earl May Garden Center out there.....look for it. Only about $10 a bag there. Or go to www.milorganite.com and see if they list a seller in your area. $24 is way too steep.

I apply mine at a wide open settting and overlap fully. Apply at 20 lbs per 1000. Good Luck.

mike

Mgardner
08-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Just stumbled across my price sheet, my apologies, $6.00 for a 40lb`r of Milorganite.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 02:20 AM
Why not go with a 24-6-12 fert and apply Gypsum?

At the rate you are using Mike you are at a $5m cost.

He would be at a $3m cost which is a cosiderable amount higher than what I suggested.

morturf
08-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Because the benefits outweigh the costs. It is a relatively small area anyway. I use this product at this rate on all my yards and charge for it. The Milorganite will add micros that common ferts just don't have. It is what grass was meant to be fertilized with and it works better than anything. Good luck