PDA

View Full Version : 30 thousand square feet to install

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
This lady killing me she wants to buy the sod. And just pay to install kind of worries me.
Canít ask for money up front Iím buying no material.
:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Kiril
09-05-2010, 02:02 PM
What's the big deal? Install the sod and bill her.

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 02:08 PM
This lady killing me she wants to buy the sod. And just pay to install kind of worries me.
Can’t ask for money up front I’m buying no material.
:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

This is actually a perfect situation. I normally wouldn't be a huge fan but you will have virtually nothing out of pocket. Have her give you a deposit up front. Tell her you need a deposit for labor and operating costs. Another thing, I've never installed sod without needing any loam. I would assume you will need loam. If she doesn't want to do it then don't do the job. If there are any isssues at all with the sod....it's on her. she bought it.

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
What's the big deal? Install the sod and bill her.

What was your biggest sod job you did?

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:11 PM
This is actually a perfect situation. I normally wouldn't be a huge fan but you will have virtually nothing out of pocket. Have her give you a deposit up front. Tell her you need a deposit for labor and operating costs. Another thing, I've never installed sod without needing any loam. I would assume you will need loam. If she doesn't want to do it then don't do the job. If there are any isssues at all with the sod....it's on her. she bought it.

You have a good point there :drinkup:

Kiril
09-05-2010, 02:13 PM

What does that have anything to do with your question? Put the sod in and bill her for your labor. Why is this even an issue for you? If you think the client won't pay then walk away.

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM

me @ 12ksquare feet. Most people dont have the dough to do 30k square feet. 90% of homes we do work on are 500k- 1 mil but still don't want to spend that kind of money. Not on their lawn anyways.....money better spent doing hardscaping and hydroseeding with a good fert program. no instant gratification but you can achieve the same results over time.

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:17 PM
What does that have anything to do with your question? Put the sod in and bill her for your labor. Why is this even an issue for you? If you think the client won't pay then walk away.

See thatís what tells me you havenít been in business to long with no offence :hammerhead:

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
me @ 12ksquare feet. Most people dont have the dough to do 30k square feet. 90% of homes we do work on are 500k- 1 mil but still don't want to spend that kind of money. Not on their lawn anyways.....money better spent doing hardscaping and hydroseeding with a good fert program. no instant gratification but you can achieve the same results over time.

You probably right let me suggest it to her on hydro seeding:weightlifter:

Kiril
09-05-2010, 02:22 PM
See thatís what tells me you havenít been in business to long with no offence :hammerhead:

Really ... because this thread screams noob to me. :rolleyes:

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Really ... because this thread screams noob to me. :rolleyes:

I said with no offence:drinkup:

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I would hope this lady either has irrigation in place or plans to get it before she has 30k square feet of sod installed

Kiril
09-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I said with no offence:drinkup:

I see .... so if I told you I my biggest sod job was 200K, that would make a difference how?

Landrus2
09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I would hope this lady either has irrigation in place or plans to get it before she has 30k square feet of sod installed

Yes itís in place :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
We just did a 3 acre lawn re-install. Completly killed lawn off, regraded with dozer. brought in 500 yards topsoil and planted seed/straw. $26,000 lawn. People have to much money. lol

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
We just did a 3 acre lawn re-install. Completly killed lawn off, regraded with dozer. brought in 500 yards topsoil and planted seed/straw. $26,000 lawn. People have to much money. lol

To do sod on 30k square feet would be more than that.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
To do sod on 30k square feet would be more than that.

would be pretty close to same price. A few thousand less. We pay $1.70 per yard for sod.

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I always charge around 2 bucks a square foot installed for sod. I know I would be way off on this job but I have never had anyone ask me for that much sod. Usually it doesnt take people long to decide on hydroseeding when I ball park them on sod.

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I always charge around 2 bucks a square foot installed for sod. I know I would be way off on this job but I have never had anyone ask me for that much sod. Usually it doesnt take people long to decide on hydroseeding when I ball park them on sod.

Yes, sod price scares them fast. We did a 6 acre in sod last year, it cost over $290,000.00. it was for a pro basketball player. He wanted a lawn before a party. He got it.

nepatsfan
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, sod price scares them fast. We did a 6 acre in sod last year, it cost over $290,000.00. it was for a pro basketball player. He wanted a lawn before a party. He got it.

That's a nice job

STL Cuts
09-06-2010, 12:13 AM

290K, must have been Lebron before he split for Miami!

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
09-06-2010, 12:15 AM
290K, must have been Lebron before he split for Miami!

Wish I could say, but I cant. I will tell you it was not Lebron. We did some work for him, but nothing major.

STL Cuts
09-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Wish I could say, but I cant. I will tell you it was not Lebron. We did some work for him, but nothing major.

A. Jamison?

cut level
09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I dont even lay sod but I know what folks charge. This is a question you already have the answer for I think. Install it, charge her by the hour whatever you hourly rate is or what your time is worth plus any expense you will have. if you dont already know then chances are you dont need to be doing this size job. Not bein a smartarse please dont take it that way.

One thing I have found out this is not the place to come to see what to charge for a job. Or any site for that because everybodys operating costs are different and thats just a fact. Too many factors to price jobs and work for folks all over the good ole USA.

Good luck with your job.

Landrus2
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I dont even lay sod but I know what folks charge. This is a question you already have the answer for I think. Install it, charge her by the hour whatever you hourly rate is or what your time is worth plus any expense you will have. if you dont already know then chances are you dont need to be doing this size job. Not bein a smartarse please dont take it that way.

One thing I have found out this is not the place to come to see what to charge for a job. Or any site for that because everybodys operating costs are different and thats just a fact. Too many factors to price jobs and work for folks all over the good ole USA.

Good luck with your job.

Sir/ how much would you charge for this job :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

cut level
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I said I dont lay sod but I would be per pallet or per hour. I have no idea what your time is worth nor your operating cost for the job. It is irrelevant for me to comment on what I would charge. Figure your cost to do the job and add your profit pretty simple. If you have never laid sod then maybe you should pass on the job to someone else and maybe throw you a finders fee.

ajslands
09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
30000 sq ft of sod?!! That's like 45 pallets. That's like 6000$ just In materials. how many guys are going to help you?
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I came up with about 32,000$ in labor + equipment+ OH. and I belive someone said they should have an irragation system; Dam straight they better
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Agreed

See that’s what tells me you haven’t been in business to long with no offence :hammerhead:

Really? Just because he thinks someone should have the capital to front LABOR only for a sod job?

I did 4 acres worth of sod a couple years ago. Not a dime up front. Not even materials. Owned this business for a few years. I'm 4th generation, business has been around since 1932. I think Kiril was dead on.

I see .... so if I told you I my biggest sod job was 200K, that would make a difference how?

Oh sure, because we all know that everything we read on the internet is true.

I mean really, I could be a 16 YO girl from Miami and no one would know the difference.

And you're in Massachusetts and the other guy is in Ohio.

Different businesses. Different overhead. Different labor costs. Different equipment costs. Different profit desires.

Good luck with your job.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

PS Of that 4 acres, not a single bit was a 1 yd roll.

For the OP, find a sod company with the big rolls and sub it to them. Add your percentage, sit back and let them get dirty. I subbed out a job a couple weeks ago that was about 4500 sq ft.

nepatsfan
09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Agreed

Really? Just because he thinks someone should have the capital to front LABOR only for a sod job?

I did 4 acres worth of sod a couple years ago. Not a dime up front. Not even materials. Owned this business for a few years. I'm 4th generation, business has been around since 1932. I think Kiril was dead on.

I mean really, I could be a 16 YO girl from Miami and no one would know the difference.

Different businesses. Different overhead. Different labor costs. Different equipment costs. Different profit desires.

For the OP, find a sod company with the big rolls and sub it to them. Add your percentage, sit back and let them get dirty. I subbed out a job a couple weeks ago that was about 4500 sq ft.

If you read the original post before you go off on a mulitquote parade...he wasn't asking about price. I was simply talking to someone else, not the OP about how I thought money could be better spent on hardscaping and that I would likely be very high on the job, considering people rarely do 30k square feet of sod around me anyways. Friendly discussion about what I would charge. Not offering suggestions to someone else. I freely admit that it would be too much.

nepatsfan
09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Agreed

Why would you sub out 4500 sq. ft?

Mark Oomkes
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Why would you sub out 4500 sq. ft?

Because they have rolls 4' wide by 150', the equipment to roll it, the trucks to deliver, all for far less than I can install 1 yd rolls by hand.

Fewer seems, faster install and my employees can do other productive work while these guys are installing my sod.

Same reason I sub out my:

Hydromulch

Bark blowing

Irrigation

Trenching

Stump grinding\large tree removal

If I can find someone that can do the work better\faster\cheaper than I can, I partner with them and start a relationship.

I am not a jack of all trades, we do what we do best and find someone else to do the work that we can't do efficiently.

PerfectEarth
09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Same reason I sub out my:

Hydromulch

Bark blowing

Irrigation

Trenching

Stump grinding\large tree removal

If I can find someone that can do the work better\faster\cheaper than I can, I partner with them and start a relationship.

I am not a jack of all trades, we do what we do best and find someone else to do the work that we can't do efficiently.

Amen. I do exactly the same. Had a stump ground out just tonight. Get relationships going, refer work, make customers happy by getting jobs done, Pick a niche and stick with it.

nepatsfan
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Amen. I do exactly the same. Had a stump ground out just tonight. Get relationships going, refer work, make customers happy by getting jobs done, Pick a niche and stick with it.

We have a niche, landscaping. Sod is part of that I thought.

Mark Oomkes
09-09-2010, 08:51 AM
We have a niche, landscaping. Sod is part of that I thought.

Can you provide me with the sod, equipment and labor to install 4' wide and 150' rolls cheaper than I can provide 5, 10, 20 laborers to install 1 yd rolls at a time?

So is hydromulching, but I don't do enough and the company I work with can do it within a day.

So is bark blowing, and if I need it badly enough, they will also schedule it within 24 hours.

Same with trees or stumps. Or irrigation.

Because I use these companies exclusively and have used some of them for 20+ years.

Even if I did a lot lawn installs, if these guys want to provide this service and own the truck and sprayer, why would I want to tie up my capital?

Same with any of the other services.

straightlineland
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
write a contract that describes you are installing sod, require a deposit as it is normal part of business, and make sure she knows you arent going to warranty it.

Patriot Services
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I would never let the customer supply the sod. You have no control over the quality. It could be half burned crap that is left over from last week. 3/4 of my sod business is from referrals of previous work. No way am I putting my name on a job i didn't do from start to finish.:usflag: